This is how I hit my high score with a single shot. Please keep in mind, my outlanes and tilt are set to easy so don't take this score too seriously.
Pteranodon Attack represents the only way I am aware of to "blow up" JP.
For those that are unaware, the mode is simple, three hits to the Pteranodon ramp (middle right ramp) qualifies the mode and the fourth starts it.
It is a timed frenzy mode which has two components; every 12 switches increases a multiplier and; all switches add 25k to the mode value (which increases +10k for each time you start the mode).
The sum of these is claimed by shooting the Pteranodon ramp while Pteranodon Attack is running.
Despite your mode value (25k/switch) expiring after the mode runs out, the multiplier doesn't (it keeps building) every time you qualify Pteranodon Attack.
The method here is nothing new to many. Start Pteranodon Attack, jam the spinners as much as possible, rinse and repeat, then finally cash in a huge jackpot towards the end of your game after doing virtually nothing else.
Some notes that help maximise scoring:
- Spinners give the most switch hits per shot so only aim for spinners when Pteranodon Attack is running.
- You must finish T-rex mode. This extends all mode timers which is probably the most important thing.
- Pteranodon Attack keeps counting down at all times; during animations, ball holds etc. so avoid these when you’re in or close to starting Pteranodon Attack.
- Get as many extra balls as you can.
- Try and finish fossil set 1 which gives an additional 10x multiplier.
- Don’t worry about finishing things other than T-rex or modes that help you achieve fossil set 1.
- Use every multiball to start Pteranodon mode and smash spinners (don’t forget that any ball that is saved by ball save will activate the Premium helicopter spinner).
- Other than what is listed above, don’t focus on anything other than hitting the ramp to get it started and the spinners to build the value.
- Don’t shoot/flip randomly during Pteranodon Attack as something could accidentally go up the Pteranodon ramp.
- Sometimes you cannot start Pteranodon Attack, such as during wizard modes.
My strategy to claim the jackpot
- Have 2x scoring ready (qualified by hitting the all three 'set the trap' targets and then the main supply drop target).
- Have a multiball ready
- Start Pteranodon Attack.
- Start multiball
- Drain as many balls as possible while continually hitting the central spinner with a single ball (Premium strategy)
- Start 2x playfield
- When 2x playfield and Pteranodon are close to expiring it is time to aim for the Pteranodon ramp.
I'm keen to hear stories of even larger Pteranodon Jackpots or other ways to blow this game up!