(Topic ID: 248218)

Welcome To The Jurassic Park Prem/LE Club!!

By Royale-W-Cheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the first MOD you will buy??”

• Toppers 59 votes
    46%
  • New Jeep 51 votes
    40%
  • Plastic Characters 18 votes
    14%

(128 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0798 (resized).png
IMG_0797 (resized).png
IMG_0818 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0811 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5630.jpeg
Pinside_market_106545_2.gif
002-pro-jurassic-park 2 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240116_030524583 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240116_031412806.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0997 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0383 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0382 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0381 (resized).jpeg
20231207_202319 (resized).jpg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

18 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 9,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 151 of 184.
#7501 2 years ago

I will gift it to the new buyer...or you can have it for a steak dinner of my choice..haha

#7502 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Your pin took a spill it seems

What do you refer to by a spill, and are there standard repercussions you’d be referring to?? Doesn’t sound good!

My son found the large cotter pin in the back of the cabinet; someone definitely forgot to secure it and thus the cash box.

Note that if I ask fairly basic questions, while I’ve learned absolute tons in the past month and am a quick study, my total ownership experience is about 30 days, starting with the Monster Bash Remake; also, this is my first Stern.

#7503 2 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

Thinking about selling my LE 005 as I saw the latest one go up for sale and mine is...well kicks it's ass.
I need the room for Aliens and another Pin I am eyeing and cant keep 6 machines....bundle deal with my Quasi SLE BM66
Am I high and a babbling idiot for this even being a thought??
JP Therapy is now in session.

Alien is awesome.. JP is pretty awesome too.

#7504 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Alien is awesome.. JP is pretty awesome too.

Yes sir.....Agreed.

#7505 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

What do you refer to by a spill, and are there standard repercussions you’d be referring to?? Doesn’t sound good!
My son found the large cotter pin in the back of the cabinet; someone definitely forgot to secure it and thus the cash box.
Note that if I ask fairly basic questions, while I’ve learned absolute tons in the past month and am a quick study, my total ownership experience is about 30 days, starting with the Monster Bash Remake; also, this is my first Stern.

I’m guess your pin may been turned upside down for a bit. I could be wrong. If the game is working well it should be fine

#7506 2 years ago

I will gift it to the new buyer...or you can have it for a steak dinner of my choice..haha

I’ll buy you a steak dinner at TPF 2022 and you can keep the OP badge

#7507 2 years ago

So a quick question for you pinheads. Trying to install the shaker motor, and while it was completely straight forward on the CGC, I’m finding it overly complicated here lol.

First step that has my brain all twisted… the screws. None of them appear to be the correct screw for securing it to the cabinet. I was expecting 4 wood screws, and all I see are 3 wood screws, two different types, and a bunch of metal/machines screws. There’s no threads in the mounting holes, so machine screws are out.

Picture included… thoughts

13E21154-4267-425F-9BC7-275A3B6CBDCF (resized).jpeg13E21154-4267-425F-9BC7-275A3B6CBDCF (resized).jpeg
#7508 2 years ago

I’ll buy you a steak dinner at TPF 2022 and you can keep the OP badge

Does that mean keep the machine? We will have some drinks for sure. Are you going to Houston or Chicago shows?

We are all sooooooooooo ready to get back to shows and pinball.

#7509 2 years ago

Just received the SE in and man oh man what a beauty! By far my favorite cabinet art of the 3 editions, especially the raptors in the kitchen.
Everything so far looks good other than my utter shock at the cash box not being locked down with the retaining pin (and the retaining pin no where in sight). I’ll include a picture here of what it looked like when opening coin door. Anyone see this as an obvious problem, with the cash box theoretically tumbling around inside during shipping
Also notice a bunch of black powder/dust under playfield and around coils, something I wouldn’t expect to see on a NIB. My first Stern so maybe some of this is standard, but my CGC nothing like this.
Still learning, open to opinions; is this “aw shit” or making mountains out of dimples
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

At least two of my NIB Stern games showed up with the cash box rolling around and the pin lost somewhere in the cabinet (JP was one of them). I’ve also had one where the plunger was bent. I have to imagine it’s shipping that causes it, though I was able to find the cash box pins either at the bottom of the cabinet or hanging on some wiring…

#7510 2 years ago

So a quick question for you pinheads. Trying to install the shaker motor, and while it was completely straight forward on the CGC, I’m finding it overly complicated here lol.
First step that has my brain all twisted… the screws. None of them appear to be the correct screw for securing it to the cabinet. I was expecting 4 wood screws, and all I see are 3 wood screws, two different types, and a bunch of metal/machines screws. There’s no threads in the mounting holes, so machine screws are out.
[quoted image]

Your shaker is missing Lol

#7511 2 years ago

[quoted image]

There should be 4 pre-drilled threaded holes to the right of the cash box. I did have a game where they didn’t drill all the way through - so I drilled with a tiny bit from the bottom up to finish the job. Check the bottom of the cab and see if there’s anything there… otherwise maybe they missed that step on yours?

#7512 2 years ago

Your shakers is missing Lol

Lol! Just out of frame; funny I included everything in the picture but that

#7513 2 years ago

Does that mean keep the machine? We will have some drinks for sure. Are you going to Houston or Chicago shows?
We are all sooooooooooo ready to get back to shows and pinball.

Me too! Not sure what shows I’ll end up at. My job had become more demanding than I would like.

#7514 2 years ago

Lol! Just out of frame; funny I included everything in the picture but that

The cabinet should have anchors for the machine screws

F344B252-D58E-4717-989B-16A7122902B6 (resized).jpegF344B252-D58E-4717-989B-16A7122902B6 (resized).jpeg
#7515 2 years ago

Me too! Not sure what shows I’ll end up at. My job had become more demanding than I would like.

TPF for sure as I am just down the road. I might go to Htown and pass on ChiTown.

We can get a suite and have a private drinking JP thread get together.....hmmm...what you think? I will bring 12 bottles of rum to contribute.

Be fun to meet some of the pinheads from this group.

#7516 2 years ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

There should be 4 pre-drilled threaded holes to the right of the cash box. I did have a game where they didn’t drill all the way through - so I drilled with a tiny bit from the bottom up to finish the job. Check the bottom of the cab and see if there’s anything there… otherwise maybe they missed that step on yours?

Ya the holes are there, just not threaded. The largest of the machine screws just drop straight through till head bottoms out.

#7517 2 years ago

The cabinet should have anchors for the machine screws[quoted image]

Ahh, doh, you’re correct and those are there and the screws don’t completely bottom out now that I look closer without assuming. Think we’re all good here now - cheers!!

#7518 2 years ago

Ahh, doh, you’re correct and those are there and the screws don’t completely bottom out now that I look closer without assuming. Think we’re all good here now - cheers!!

A76B89B7-55F3-42D1-AD7E-E111508F46F7.gifA76B89B7-55F3-42D1-AD7E-E111508F46F7.gif
#7519 2 years ago

I'm looking for JP prem if anyone selling.

#7520 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I'm looking for JP prem if anyone selling.

I know where you can get a LE. hehe

#7521 2 years ago

What are these magnets(?) for that came with the shaker motor??

EC8A987B-85DB-4164-A272-E367B649DCA9 (resized).jpegEC8A987B-85DB-4164-A272-E367B649DCA9 (resized).jpeg
#7522 2 years ago

Do I remove the rubber band from around the Newton balls?

20A1E58E-0E6B-4E3A-B49B-AAB6840375C7 (resized).jpeg20A1E58E-0E6B-4E3A-B49B-AAB6840375C7 (resized).jpeg
#7523 2 years ago

Do I remove the rubber band from around the Newton balls?
[quoted image]

Yes

#7524 2 years ago

Been playing a lot with fam but during middle of play, the lights in most of the back half of pf turned off and the T-Rex no longer moves. Thoughts on where to look?

Note picture does a terrible job at illustrating issue, probably due to flash, but back half nearly completely dark, which I think you can tell by no illumination around T-Rex in picture.
A5C34EC9-A3EC-45EB-B480-4C7D5DB8892F (resized).jpegA5C34EC9-A3EC-45EB-B480-4C7D5DB8892F (resized).jpeg

#7525 2 years ago

Been playing a lot with fam but during middle of play, the lights in most of the back half of pf turned off and the T-Rex no longer moves. Thoughts on where to look?
Note picture does a terrible job at illustrating issue, probably due to flash, but back half nearly completely dark, which I think you can tell by no illumination around T-Rex in picture.
[quoted image]

Pull out the playfield and look for any loose wire connections would be where I'd start.

#7526 2 years ago

Whelp, get node 9 not found on boot, which makes sense, as that leads to upper left pf and T-Rex. Pulled each connector other than RJ-45 data connections from node 9 one at a time and booted, to no affect, so doesn’t seem to be another board or wire feeding into or being fed out of node 9, and thus an issue with node 9 board itself. Going to need to contact Stern at this point for a replacement. Very much sucks but is what it is at this point, but certainly highlights all of the QC issues within the history of this pin, quite nicely.

#7527 2 years ago

What are these magnets(?) for that came with the shaker motor??[quoted image]

They're not magnets, they are ferrite filters. The ferrite material is non-magnetic and absorbs transient voltages produced with electro-magnetic devices; they clamp around the input and output cabling. The assembly basically stops the spike in its tracks.

Without those, there is a risk that a transient spike will affect the CPU system and cause undesired operation of the game. Those high voltages can destroy sensitive board-level components.

The two halves need to clamp together around the wires for it to be effective.

#7528 2 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

They're not magnets, they are ferrite filters. The ferrite material is non-magnetic and absorbs transient voltages produced with electro-magnetic devices; they clamp around the input and output cabling. The assembly basically stops the spike in its tracks.
Without those, there is a risk that a transient spike will affect the CPU system and cause undesired operation of the game. Those high voltages can destroy sensitive board-level components.
The two halves need to clamp together around the wires for it to be effective.

You know, I should have known that being in IT, just hadn’t seen them since CRT days on beefy VGA cables and never seen them not-installed/open. Surprised they didn’t throw a distillation off that knowledge in the setup instructions.

#7529 2 years ago

What are these magnets(?) for that came with the shaker motor??[quoted image]

What is the part number for the Shaker motor you ordered, and where did you get it from? The ferrite clamps and capacitor adapter are not part of the latest Stern OEM kit for Spike 2 machines. The current Stern part number for the shaker kit is 502-5027-01, it is sometimes referred to as "Rev C". You can see a good picture of it attached. Notice it also comes with the two cover screws, and the 4 cabinet mounting screws. No need for the Ferrite clamps nor Capacitor add-on adapter. That said, you are probably fine adding the Ferrite clamps around the power leads close to the cabinet node board, but don't use the capacitor adapter as it's function is already built into JP machines. (I posted an email from Stern support advising this a few months back).

Shaker pbl-100-0020-00 (resized).jpgShaker pbl-100-0020-00 (resized).jpg

#7530 2 years ago

Does the LE version of this game have colored GI and the premium white only. I see pics with other colors

#7531 2 years ago

Whelp, I decided to troubleshoot a little further while I waited for Stern support to open up this AM and seem oddly deeper in the hole. I decided to disconnect the shaker motor to get that out of the equation, and now during boot I get another error after the node 9 not found, which is overcurrent protection on node board 1. I also now faintly smell the electronic-toast smell, though visually cannot find a roasted component. Additionally, now during the node 9 message, I can hear what sounds like a stepper motor trying to activate for a few seconds, thus producing a soft clunk, clunk, clunk on the vertical part of the underneath pf (think this is node board 1 area, but tough to tell in the documentation) near the T-Rex head. None of this new stuff makes a lot of sense though, from disconnecting the shaker motor.

Emailed my distributor and about to call Stern support now.

#7532 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

What is the part number for the Shaker motor you ordered, and where did you get it from? The ferrite clamps and capacitor adapter are not part of the latest Stern OEM kit for Spike 2 machines. The current Stern part number for the shaker kit is 502-5027-01, it is sometimes referred to as "Rev C". You can see a good picture of it attached. Notice it also comes with the two cover screws, and the 4 cabinet mounting screws. No need for the Ferrite clamps nor Capacitor add-on adapter. That said, you are probably fine adding the Ferrite clamps around the power leads close to the cabinet node board, but don't use the capacitor adapter as it's function is already built into JP machines. (I posted an email from Stern support advising this a few months back).
[quoted image]

The paperwork shows 502-5027-01 (for all spike system games) and does look like the one in the picture. Ordered with NIB game from Mike at Automated Services.

#7533 2 years ago

Well wth, one can’t call Stern and must use email? smh

#7534 2 years ago

Well wth, one can’t call Stern and must use email? smh

Why do you think Stern still uses distributors? To shield them from talking to customers directly.

#7535 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Does the LE version of this game have colored GI and the premium white only. I see pics with other colors

No, LE & Prem always have the same features/LEDs.

#7536 2 years ago
Quoted from SeafaringSpiders:

Why do you think Stern still uses distributors? To shield them from talking to customers directly.

Distributors are used to scale a business and when done right, actually HELPS the consumer big time!!! That said, distributors come in all shapes and sizes, and the quality of each of their business models can make or break the whole thing. The most successful vendors hand select their partners and treat them as if they were pseudo employees.

These same vendors are highly selective on CHOOSING WHO they authorize as a distributor, how they train them, how they measure them, how those partners interact with their customers, etc. It works great when great partners are chosen and helps support customers with answering simpler tech issues, offer add-on purchases, etc. And one of the big advantages is buying from a local distributor can help solve time zone issues too since German customers (for instance) will find “Mike in Munich” to be available 9 hours before Stern wakes up!

I am a big fan of using carefully chosen distributors since those distributors take their value-add and responsibilities to the customer very seriously.

#7537 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Distributors are used to scale a business and when done right, actually HELPS the consumer big time!!! That said, distributors come in all shapes and sizes, and the quality of each of their business models can make or break the whole thing. The most successful vendors hand select their partners and treat them as if they were pseudo employees.
These same vendors are highly selective on CHOOSING WHO they authorize as a distributor, how they train them, how they measure them, how those partners interact with their customers, etc. It works great when great partners are chosen and helps support customers with answering simpler tech issues, offer add-on purchases, etc. And one of the big advantages is buying from a local distributor can help solve time zone issues too since “Mike in Munich” is available 9 hours before Stern wakes up!
I am a big fan of using carefully chosen distributors since those distributors take their value-add and responsibilities to the customer very seriously.

You could just as easily make an argument for why the system is bad for the consumer. When you have a warranty issue, it's basically adding a step in between you and Stern. You basically have to make your case to your distributor and then hope they are effective in dealing with Stern. There's no denying that some Stern distributors don't put in the effort. I've had bad experiences with distributors who just don't want to put in effort after the sale.

There's also the fact that it adds cost to the purchase to have the distributor take a cut when the vast majority of machines are not being sold from some local game room... They're being shipped. They might as well be shipped from the factory and save some money on shipping and the middle man.

I can't help but think that the distributor system is used more as a shield for companies than a network of support for customers.

#7538 2 years ago

Whelp, I decided to troubleshoot a little further while I waited for Stern support to open up this AM and seem oddly deeper in the hole. I decided to disconnect the shaker motor to get that out of the equation, and now during boot I get another error after the node 9 not found, which is overcurrent protection on node board 1. I also now faintly smell the electronic-toast smell, though visually cannot find a roasted component. Additionally, now during the node 9 message, I can hear what sounds like a stepper motor trying to activate for a few seconds, thus producing a soft clunk, clunk, clunk on the vertical part of the underneath pf (think this is node board 1 area, but tough to tell in the documentation) near the T-Rex head. None of this new stuff makes a lot of sense though, from disconnecting the shaker motor.
Emailed my distributor and about to call Stern support now.

I think overcurrent protection error is indicating there is a short. I would recheck all the areas where you might have installed mods to make sure you didn't unknowingly bend a connection or wire somewhere causing the short.

#7539 2 years ago

Well, CGC uses distributors but I can call up George directly at CGC. Surprisingly, Stern was very quick and thorough to respond via email, and while we have not figured out issue yet, they continually reply and converse in very quick order which is impressive and appreciated.

#7540 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I think overcurrent protection error is indicating there is a short. I would recheck all the areas where you might have installed mods to make sure you didn't unknowingly bend a connection or wire somewhere causing the short.

Ya Sterns thought is a short in either shaker motor or T-Rex, however inspecting the wiring for shaker motor shows no cuts or exposed wire, and disconnecting T-Rex head did not remove node 9 error, so we’re still searching. I have, thankfully, not installed any mods yet.

#7541 2 years ago

Swapped node boards 8 and 9 and it followed to 8, so the og node board 9 definitely the issue (or part of it). I’m hoping Stern will just go ahead and replace node board 1 as well.

#7542 2 years ago

You could just as easily make an argument for why the system is bad for the consumer. When you have a warranty issue, it's basically adding a step in between you and Stern. You basically have to make your case to your distributor and then hope they are effective in dealing with Stern. There's no denying that some Stern distributors don't put in the effort. I've had bad experiences with distributors who just don't want to put in effort after the sale.
There's also the fact that it adds cost to the purchase to have the distributor take a cut when the vast majority of machines are not being sold from some local game room... They're being shipped. They might as well be shipped from the factory and save some money on shipping and the middle man.
I can't help but think that the distributor system is used more as a shield for companies than a network of support for customers.

Almost all of the big companies (HP, IBM, Sony, Samsung, ) use distributors for scale.... but as you point out, the actual distributor can vary in quality widely and if poor, can simply be "in the way". That said, big companies are VERY careful who they authorize. They want added value, or they don't authorize. And they review qualifications and customer satisfaction annually.

My Stern distributor is great (but others may not be) so if you believe your distributor is 'in the way', then you might want to find a different distributor.

Mark

#7543 2 years ago

Anyone know a good place to order node boards from, preferably overnight. Once I swapped boards and figured out issue, I have not heard back from Stern for hours now. Probably just feels forever because before this, they were getting back to me within minutes all morning. I really would like to get this resolved ASAP as I have a bunch of guests coming over for July 4th weekend, and having this pin in full working order is a desire of mine. I don't really care about paying in full for it, just want it; I'll keep the one Stern eventually sends as a spare.

#7544 2 years ago

Might be a stupid suggestion but did you have the coin door closed when you booted the machine on?

#7545 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Might be a stupid suggestion but did you have the coin door closed when you booted the machine on?

Yep, checked simple things like that from the get-go, as I wanted to rule out the switch that cuts-off the high voltage when the coin door is open.

#7546 2 years ago

Pin is now up and running; replaced node board 9 and cabinet node board.

#7547 2 years ago

Hey everyone, not sure I introduced myself but I acquired a JP prem a little over 2 months ago and just getting around to posting it on here. Been modding it ever since and can't get enough of it! Here is what I have so far:

Green superbands
Mezel mod trees
The art of pinball signs
3d printed flipper toppers and rails
pterodactyl mod
green sleeve posts
3d amber blinkers for raptor cage
lockdown bar plaque
barbasol mod (not pictured, waiting on replacement)

I've got more on the way, I just can't get enough on modding it, haha

PXL_20210630_040616099 (resized).jpgPXL_20210630_040616099 (resized).jpg

#7548 2 years ago
Quoted from CoinGuyNinja:

Hey everyone, not sure I introduced myself but I acquired a JP prem a little over 2 months ago and just getting around to posting it on here. Been modding it ever since and can't get enough of it! Here is what I have so far:
Green superbands
Mezel mod trees
The art of pinball signs
3d printed flipper toppers and rails
pterodactyl mod
green sleeve posts
3d amber blinkers for raptor cage
lockdown bar plaque
barbasol mod (not pictured, waiting on replacement)
I've got more on the way, I just can't get enough on modding it, haha
[quoted image]

I suggest to change your Barbasol mod by our Illuminated GI Nedry's Computer mod

The video is here :

and picture in attached file

IMG_1128 (resized).JPGIMG_1128 (resized).JPG
#7549 2 years ago
Quoted from pinopinballmods:

I suggest to change your Barbasol mod by our Illuminated GI Nedry's Computer mod
The video is here :

and picture in attached file[quoted image]

Prefer the Barbasol...don't think dissing other folks mods is cool....post for sale...and see how it goes..

#7550 2 years ago

edit

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
There are 9,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 151 of 184.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-jurassic-park-le-club/page/151?hl=jmcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.