(Topic ID: 248218)

Welcome To The Jurassic Park Prem/LE Club!!

By Royale-W-Cheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the first MOD you will buy??”

• Toppers 59 votes
    46%
  • New Jeep 51 votes
    40%
  • Plastic Characters 18 votes
    14%

(128 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0798 (resized).png
IMG_0797 (resized).png
IMG_0818 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0811 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5630.jpeg
Pinside_market_106545_2.gif
002-pro-jurassic-park 2 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240116_030524583 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240116_031412806.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0997 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0383 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0382 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0381 (resized).jpeg
20231207_202319 (resized).jpg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

18 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 9,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 184.
#7051 2 years ago
Quoted from RoadQueen:

Hi everyone. Another newbie here joining the hobby. Just waiting for a JP premium to be delivered in the next hour or so... my first pin ever, so exciting! So I guess I can consider myself a new owner. I've been following Pinside for a while but just joined. I love these threats, particularly the JP ones, and it's wonderful to see all the support from experienced members regarding issues with machines, fixes, mods, etc. It makes being a newbie way less stressful so I'm very happy to join this community. Anyway, like many more, while eagerly awaking for this day I've been collecting mods in anticipation and there are multiple more on the way or in production. Can't wait to start playing this. Have a nice day all!
Wait, I think I see the FedEx truck pulling up front...
[quoted image]

I don't see any shooter lane protectors. You'll want to add those and also (recommended) adjust the ball eject power in settings to something closer to 200. Both of these steps will protect the clearcoat in the shooter lane.

#7052 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I don't see any shooter lane protectors. You'll want to add those and also (recommended) adjust the ball eject power in settings to something closer to 200. Both of these steps will protect the clearcoat in the shooter lane.

Thank you for the tip! Yes, I'm waiting on a set of Cliffy's protectors, but it might take a few weeks because I think Cliff is pretty busy with new orders.

#7053 2 years ago
Quoted from RoadQueen:

Thank you for the tip! Yes, I'm waiting on a set of Cliffy's protectors, but it might take a few weeks because I think Cliff is pretty busy with new orders.

Just turn the trough eject power down as far as you can before you start playing it and you will be okay until it gets there.
Turn it down until a ball won't make it out, then turn it up until it does.

#7054 2 years ago
Quoted from RoadQueen:

Silly as it sounds, but I put three layers of blue painters tape covering just a few inches of the trouygh eject area in the lane until my Cliffy's arrived!!! (Am I a bit OCD??)

#7055 2 years ago

Updated: I am considering adding side artwork to my JP premium. Seems like the 6 choices I have found (staying only with a blue/green palette) are loosely described as:

1.Stern store or PBL supplied Dino Eyes Closeup
2.SideBlades Blue and Green with tall wooden gate
3.SideBlades blue and green landscape only
4.TiltGraffix Electric Fence Gameblades
5.Pingraffix Pinblades Blue and Green with Dino head
6.WizBlades, multiple dinos on a green/blue background

Does anyone have preferences or comments about quality of the vinyl material and/or the print inks, etc?

#7056 2 years ago

I am considering adding side artwork to my JP premium. Seems like the 5 choices I have found (staying only with premium's blue/green palette) are loosely described as:
Does anyone have preferences or comments about quality of the vinyl material and/or the print inks, etc?

I have the ones from pingraffix.
I like that they lifted the art from the game so they fit in well, very similar in material finish to the stern brand (which are the best quality IMO).
My second choice is the stern official, in fact I may buy a set just for future use.

Its really personal preference, I don't care for the ones with the fence but a lot of people seem to like them. I dont think I've seen the "sideblades" version.
I think most of them are comparable in overall quality.
A matte like finish is a must unless you are going with mirror blades otherwise there is too many reflections and you can't see the art.

#7058 2 years ago

They look vcery nice, and your website makes shipping to USA very straight-forward since prices listed are inclusive. I see you have the blue/green and sunset themes as well. Nice.

Question: On the magnetic WizAprons, how does that material accommodate and perform over time over the recessed indents for the apron cards? Does the magnetic material just hang in the air above the steel, or would it better to add a few layers of filler cardstock to keep the new WizApron flat (over time I would expect it to sink slightly otherwise)?

#7059 2 years ago

On the magnetic WizAprons, how does that material accommodate and perform over time over the recessed indents for the apron cards?

The magnetic WizAprons are thick enough not to sink with time. (at least it did not happen since the first prototype which was more than 1 year ago )
Also the magnetic is strong enough to pull that area and keep it straight throughout the time.
But the aprons for the new Sterns don't have big holes on the cards area. At least all the games that we checked:

large (resized).JPGlarge (resized).JPG

#7060 2 years ago

Updated: I am considering adding side artwork to my JP premium. Seems like the 6 choices I have found (staying only with a blue/green palette) are loosely described as:

I went with the Sterns.... they shipped with the game.... which should be here TOMORROW

#7061 2 years ago

As anyone got FedEx delivery of a NIB Stern..? this is my 3rd but 1st Fed Ex... wondering if they will call and set up a time or be home all day... and if they will pallet jack to garage...??

#7062 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

As anyone got FedEx delivery of a NIB Stern..? this is my 3rd but 1st Fed Ex... wondering if they will call and set up a time or be home all day... and if they will pallet jack to garage...??

You may be able to call your local fedex freight/terminal and set up a day or a call first

#7063 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

Mine called me and setup a time that was convenient for me. First time for me too. They did say they will pallet jack it to the garage or front steps. Mines coming Thursday!

#7064 2 years ago
Quoted from tomaszb1:

Mine called me and setup a time that was convenient for me. First time for me too. They did say they will pallet jack it to the garage or front steps. Mines coming Thursday!

Mine arrived today through FedEx. They called yesterday to set up a day and gave me a 2-hour window. They did pallet to the garage.

#7065 2 years ago

For what it’s worth, I previously ordered the blades from Pingraffix blue and green. But then I found the ones with the gate from Retro Refurbs in UK and liked them better. So returned the pingraffix ones (obviously never installed). They both felt very good quality, possibly slightly thicker on the pingraffix but happy with both.

#7066 2 years ago
Quoted from RoadQueen:

For what it’s worth, I previously ordered the blades from Pingraffix blue and green. But then I found the ones with the gate from Retro Refurbs in UK and liked them better. So returned the pingraffix ones (obviously never installed). They both felt very good quality, possibly slightly thicker on the pingraffix but happy with both.

Good to know about the quality. I had side art on my Houdini machine and it was paper thin, like tissue paper! I ended up buying PinballUniverse side protectors that I use diligently now anytime I lift a playfield in any machine. Even without side art, it's so damn easy to scratch the black painted side surfaces.

#7067 2 years ago

I faced this dilemma as well and after much deliberation, I got the bluish ones from Retro Refurbs for my premium. I thought they best matched the tone, style, and color pallet of the PF. It was a pretty tough call especially because of the cost to ship to the US but I didn't regret the decision.

#7068 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I faced this dilemma as well and after much deliberation, I got the bluish ones from Retro Refurbs for my premium. I thought they best matched the tone, style, and color pallet of the PF. It was a pretty tough call especially because of the cost to ship to the US but I didn't regret the decision.

I agree with this....I ordered the Retro Refurbs blue version and they look great in the Premium. Matching the blue landscape was my priority but I really liked the Jurassic Park gate artwork and also the volcano.

#7069 2 years ago

Thanks guys. I am also set on the green/blue version, and likely to buy from either WizardMods or RetroRefurb. But due to shipping, the Retro version is $30 more shipped to the USA. Both have blue/green palettes, and both have multiple dinosaurs running through the jungle....

So my choice is getting narrower...

#7070 2 years ago

Put in mirror blades. They reflect so good on this game. It needs more lighting in my opinion anyways,,

#7071 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Put in mirror blades. They reflect so good on this game. It needs more lighting in my opinion anyways,,

Dohhhhh... I hadn't even thought of that. (Not sure why it never crossed my mind.) I know there are a bunch of brands of them and they price out in the same $100 or so range. Thought I was getting close, but perhaps time to do a little more research....

#7072 2 years ago

Still waiting... and no Fed X shows exception/delay....but still delivery today... grrrrr

waiting (resized).jpgwaiting (resized).jpg
#7073 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

Still waiting... and no Fed X shows exception/delay....but still delivery today... grrrrr
[quoted image]

Thats a full weekend of mod work ahead! The Jeep and Helicopter each take a 60-90 minutes! The PBL outlane/sling neon protectors take 60 minutes. The amber shooter rod takes at least an hour. (be careful to mark the current location BEFORE you remove the old plate). The Mezel Raptor pit pen will be 30 minutes. The shooter lane protectors will take 30-45 minutes. Shaker is 30 minutes or less. And that is just what I see. All the other little stuff in your envelopes takes time too!

A word of advise, you CAN go overboard. Too many little plastic palm trees, dino eggs and bunny rabbits may be too much, but that is a personal choice.

Couple of questions/comments: What are you doing for sound? (Stock, speaker swaps or external subwoofer?) Are you adding SpeakerLEDs? (DIY or the off-the-shelf .com version). Don't forget to address the tower ramp left screw (which contacts the ball and prevents clean tower shots so often).

#7074 2 years ago

Thats a full weekend of mod work ahead! The Jeep and Helicopter each take a 60-90 minutes! The PBL outlane/sling neon protectors take 60 minutes. The amber shooter rod takes at least an hour. (be careful to mark the current location BEFORE you remove the old plate). The Mezel Raptor pit pen will be 30 minutes. The shooter lane protectors will take 30-45 minutes. Shaker is 30 minutes or less. And that is just what I see. All the other little stuff in your envelopes takes time too!
A word of advise, you CAN go overboard. Too many little plastic palm trees, dino eggs and bunny rabbits may be too much, but that is a personal choice.
Couple of questions/comments: What are you doing for sound? (Stock, speaker swaps or external subwoofer?) Are you adding SpeakerLEDs? (DIY or the off-the-shelf .com version). Don't forget to address the tower ramp left screw (which contacts the ball and prevents clean tower shots so often).

No plans on sound upgrades...yet... I dont have the Mezel Raptor pit... yet... Shake was installed at dealer... have the audio video upgrade ready too...

Whats the fix on tower ramp left screw....?

#7076 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

No plans on sound upgrades...yet... I dont have the Mezel Raptor pit... yet... Shake was installed at dealer... have the audio video upgrade ready too...
Whats the fix on tower ramp left screw....?

For a lowest-cost sound upgrade, consider getting a CXX8 woofer ($25/each) that directly replaces the cabinet speaker, and a set of Kicker 4-inch DSC040's or 44's ($50/pair) for the backbox, again they are drop-in replacements. You'll get MUCH better sound across the board just by putting higher end speakers into the existing mounting holes and wiring.

#7077 2 years ago

Dohhhhh... I hadn't even thought of that. (Not sure why it never crossed my mind.) I know there are a bunch of brands of them and they price out in the same $100 or so range. Thought I was getting close, but perhaps time to do a little more research....

And you can swap em out in another game. I took these out of metallica to see how they looked. Gonna keep em in jp

#7078 2 years ago

It's time I put a shaker motor into my JPpre. any suggestions on what manufacture I should buy from? not sure the dif between Stern's and others.

#7079 2 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

It's time I put a shaker motor into my JPpre. any suggestions on what manufacture I should buy from? not sure the dif between Stern's and others.

PBL has a nice unit back in stock, $79 for the 'equiv' unit, and $99 for the 'factory authorized' unit.

https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-factory-authorized-shaker-motor-kit-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html

Read a (circa 2015) discussion about these two types here: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Stern-SB184.pdf

That said, the two units PBL ships today look IDENTICAL to me, so the earlier non-factory units may have been very different...

#7080 2 years ago

PBL has a nice unit back in stock, $79 for the 'equiv' unit, and $99 for the 'factory authorized' unit.
https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-factory-authorized-shaker-motor-kit-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html
Read a discussion about these two types here: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Stern-SB184.pdf
That said, the two units PBL ships today look IDENTICAL to me, so the earlier non-factory units may have been very different...

thanks Mark. incredible how helpful you are on this channel.

#7081 2 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

thanks Mark. incredible how helpful you are on this channel.

I enjoy helping folks, and keep them from stubbing their toes!!!

(Note: When installing the shaker motor, get yourself a little bottle of BLUE loctite, Harbor Freight for $2) when you put in the four cabinet base screws. All that shaking could cause the screws to loosen over time, and the BLUE loctite is semi-permanent). Good luck!

#7082 2 years ago

For a lowest-cost sound upgrade, consider getting a CXX8 woofer ($25/each) that directly replaces the cabinet speaker, and a set of Kicker 4-inch DSC040's or 44's ($50/pair) for the backbox, again they are drop-in replacements. You'll get MUCH better sound across the board just by putting higher end speakers into the existing mounting holes and wiring.

Thanks! I will start shopping..... lol

#7083 2 years ago

Has anyone ever had issues with the jeep opto triggering when the jeep isn't hit? I thought maybe it was a switch that needed adjusted but appears to be an opto that shines through a slot in a bracket attached to the shaft.

Things I still need to try are hammering my hand on the playfield and cleaning the opto. Anything else anyone can think of? Thanks

#7084 2 years ago

Any news on toppers shipping? May is coming to a close...

#7085 2 years ago

Would you mind pointing what menu I use to change this? I was trying to go through settings and could not figure it out. Sorry for the newb question, I’m sure I missed it. Thanks in advance!

#7086 2 years ago

Hi Mark -

For the CXX8 woofer swap out on the JP Premium, do you need any more amp power to drive it or is what in the machine currently good enough? I have only used the innovators subwoofer adapter for Stern Spike systems and tied that into an external powered sub and then also have the connector that you can connect multiples to it. This pin would be at a different location so looking at my options.

Thanks for the help!!

#7087 2 years ago
Quoted from RoadQueen:

Would you mind pointing what menu I use to change this? I was trying to go through settings and could not figure it out. Sorry for the newb question, I’m sure I missed it. Thanks in advance!

"Trough Eject Power" Feature Adjustment #308 (sometimes the Adj # changes b/n code versions) - I have mine set to 176 which I believe is the lowest setting and it still kicks the ball into the shooter lane fine. Doing this I haven't needed to install a shooter lane protector, but a protector is going to ensure no damage.

#7088 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

"Trough Eject Power" Feature Adjustment #308 (sometimes the Adj # changes b/n code versions) - I have mine set to 176 which I believe is the lowest setting and it still kicks the ball into the shooter lane fine. Doing this I haven't needed to install a shooter lane protector, but a protector is going to ensure no damage.

Found it! Thanks so much

#7089 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

[quoted image]

Now tomorrow... after 12... glad I wasted 1/2 a day... I HATE Fed EX

#7090 2 years ago
Quoted from Mjesposi:

Hi Mark -
For the CXX8 woofer swap out on the JP Premium, do you need any more amp power to drive it or is what in the machine currently good enough? I have only used the innovators subwoofer adapter for Stern Spike systems and tied that into an external powered sub and then also have the connector that you can connect multiples to it. This pin would be at a different location so looking at my options.
Thanks for the help!!

The CXX8 is a drop in replacement for the factory cabinet speaker and uses the factory amplifier itself. Turns out the Stern amp is not at fault, it's the cheap speakers that prevent you from hearing more clarity and richness. (Obviously if you want to "light-up" the house with JP sound and feel the house shake with the music bass, then an external AMP would make sense, but in many HUO situations, the factory amp MAY very well be suitable for you. It is fine for me.)

The CXX8 has the same mounting holes and the same two wires to connect. You unsolder the existing two wires from the original speaker and then resolder them to the new speaker. The ONLY thing you need to do is use a 1/8 or 3/16 inch round file to just slightly widen the mount hole slots inward. 5 minutes with a hand file. No AMP or other wiring or anything else is required. I can snap a picture of mine if you need to see it installed if you want.

#7091 2 years ago

Put in pinwoofers and be done!! Amazing product.

#7092 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Put in pinwoofers and be done!! Amazing product.

Looks like triple the money.....??

#7093 2 years ago

Worth every cent. 30 minute easy install.

#7094 2 years ago

Take it out when u sell, nothing is permanent in this install.

#7095 2 years ago

The CXX8 has the same mounting holes and the same two wires to connect. You unsolder the existing two wires from the original speaker and then resolder them to the new speaker. The ONLY thing you need to do is use a 1/8 or 3/16 inch round file to just slightly widen the mount hole slots inward. 5 minutes with a hand file. No AMP or other wiring or anything else is required. I can snap a picture of mine if you need to see it installed if you want.

It seems odd that 4" speakers don't have a universal mounting hole placement. Stern (going back to the Data East days) always used to have their speaker mounting holes so they used the outer limits of the 4" speaker mounts. With SPIKE 2....they strangely started using the inner limits of the 4" speaker mounts.

It seems most 4" speakers use either ovaled out mounting slots or open ended mounting. This makes it so they can be used no matter where the 4" speaker mounts land. However some speakers, as you are describing, do have smaller, more strict mount holes on them. Fortunately, it sounds like with the speakers you are describing, that was pretty easy to rectify. Like the ones you have described, it seems on most of the 4" speakers that I have seen that do use smaller / stricter mounting holes....they are usually using the wider mounting limits that Stern used in the past. So it seems like Stern made a bit of a misstep when changing their 4" mounting pattern on the SPIKE 2 4" speaker plates, after using the same mounting pattern since Back to the Future (1990).

I'm expecting no thought went into that design change decision and as long as the current 4" factory speakers fit on the studs....it was OK'd. Now if they find default speakers to use that cost $1.35 instead of the $1.48 ones they are using now...that will only work with the original wider 4" mounting pattern, they will be kicking themselves and wondering who made the mounting stud position change on the 4" SPIKE 2 speaker plates.

Hashtag:BoringSpeakerPanelStuff

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#7096 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

It seems odd that 4" speakers don't have a universal mounting hole placement. Stern (going back to the Data East days) always used to have their speaker mounting holes so they used the outer limits of the 4" speaker mounts. With SPIKE 2....they strangely started using the inner limits of the 4" speaker mounts.
It seems most 4" speakers use either ovaled out mounting slots or open ended mounting. This makes it so they can be used no matter where the 4" speaker mounts land. However some speakers, as you are describing, do have smaller, more strict mount holes on them. Fortunately, it sounds like with the speakers you are describing, that was pretty easy to rectify. Like the ones you have described, it seems on most of the 4" speakers that I have seen that do use smaller / stricter mounting holes....they are usually using the wider mounting limits that Stern used in the past. So it seems like Stern made a bit of a misstep when changing their 4" mounting pattern on the SPIKE 2 4" speaker plates, after using the same mounting pattern since Back to the Future (1990).
I'm expecting no thought went into that design change decision and as long as the current 4" factory speakers fit on the studs....it was OK'd. Now if they find default speakers to use that cost $1.35 instead of the $1.48 ones they are using now...that will only work with the original wider 4" mounting pattern, they will be kicking themselves and wondering who made the mounting stud position change on the 4" SPIKE 2 speaker plates.
Hashtag:BoringSpeakerPanelStuff
Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

The backbox 4-inch speakers can be pressed into place on the existing plates without too much pressure and no filing required. It is the 8-inch cabinet speaker that takes a bit of filing, but again, ever so slightly,

#7097 2 years ago

The backbox 4-inch speakers can be pressed into place on the existing plates without too much pressure and no filing required. It is the 8-inch cabinet speaker that takes a bit of filing, but again, ever so slightly,

Yeah, I thought you were talking about the backbox speakers needing a bit of filing to fit. I haven't messed with the cabinet speakers much (not since my Spider-Man). I didn't realize they could have some mounting misalignment issues also. It sounds like the speaker industry needs to get their act together. Good to hear you got them all to fit OK.

#7098 2 years ago

Where are you guys getting the 3d helicopter for the prem game? Thx,,,

#7099 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Where are you guys getting the 3d helicopter for the prem game? Thx,,,

Looking for this to

#7100 2 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Looking for this to

The copter and the jeep are both VERY hard to find. I had to buy a full set of 5 jurassic pieces from a guy in Puerto Rico which also included the helocopter, and then I found the Jada 1:43 #12 jeep recently from a seller in china. Try to search ebay regularly. They are there, if you catch it right.

Note: You can find the exact same copter in other colors, and missing the Jurassic logos, for less than $10 and much easier to find. You can always spray paint an orange copter and make it blue...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 39.00
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Niwot, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 9,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 184.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-jurassic-park-le-club/page/142?hl=jmcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.