Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2D8FAA2F-7792-4AAC-AC15-2E818C2164E9 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20201005-055236 (resized).png
    087EFAD2-541E-4D2D-A891-3D1F978197A7 (resized).png
    IMG_3293 (resized).PNG
    2C7205EB-175B-45FC-A635-C776B5C5B984 (resized).png
    B41B4288-5A47-4F38-B81F-DDC2E4327FE6 (resized).png
    7314FD1C-BFFA-41BC-9F3C-0E40BF6C6D4C (resized).png
    08B84340-CEED-4635-8BE2-0674D8DD2464 (resized).jpeg
    0C6B2DA0-9555-48C1-BAFF-606155A1F59E (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20200925-133546 (resized).png
    Print Error (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 1.56.16 PM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200924-134516 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 1.04.03 PM (resized).png
    6B49506C-9254-4607-BCFF-59DCD6952C89 (resized).png
    Pinside_Manipulate_Image.gif

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 1 year ago

I like the dark mode, but a little more contrast between lines of the topic lists would be helpful. It's straining to scan from left to right on the topic list and line it up with the appropriate green circle. There isn't much of anything to break up the lines.

I'm not saying to use Blue, but something to add some contrast would be perfect.

Pinside (resized).JPG

#52 1 year ago

This is the thrid time I've thought a thread ended when I saw the ad banner in the middle of the page. I'm sorry about bitching about it, but even just an option to move it to the bottom of the forum would be excellent.

Again, thank you Robin for creating and updating such a great website.

#53 1 year ago

Absolutely amazing robin !!

On my iPhone, the text for game reviews is dark...unlike the text elsewhere. Just a note.

Again, you rock and this is the best site on the internet.

4E274EE3-6F8F-415C-A4D0-002DD45B3EFD (resized).png
    #54 1 year ago

Robin your commitment to improvement is really something else. I salute you.

I'm a big dark mode fan, I use it everywhere I can. I have to admit, I'm not over the moon about the Pinside version so far, it's not very "dark". It's more like Grey Mode. By which I mean the contrast for everything is lower than the light version, which for me at least adds to eye strain instead of helping.

It's much easier for me to read my own words as I'm typing in this edit box right now than it is to read the thread itself, because this text box is actually full #000000 in the background.

At Ars we go full black, but that's a tradition that goes back to the 90s. Some other sites like Destruction go full black for their dark mode too, but you don't have to go that extreme. There's also a lot of interesting color ranges from other services, like Slack, Discord, or Twitter that shoot for adding more blue which helps with the contrast against white without necessarily going super dark. Discord is actually lighter than Pinside but I still find it easier to read because the cooler blue-grey contrasts the white better than Pinside's darker-but-more-neutral background.

I made a reference image to show what I'm talking about. Maybe it helps, maybe you're happy with what you have now, but just my personal feedback as an avid dark mode user, both day and night, that more contrast helps me with reading.

dark-mode-contrasts.png

#55 1 year ago

Not digging the new PM format at all. Much more difficult for me to follow and a lot more scrolling to see the same amount of information (much less on the screen at one time). Some days I can have 100 PM exchanges around new releases, so it will be an unfortunate transition.

Can there be an option to toggle back to the original UI?

EDIT: Seems there's already been a slight update to address the issue of messages on opposite sides of the screen--having them lined up does help viewing, though the giant gaps are still inefficient (and I did like seeing how many days had passed on each individual post as it was before).

Also noticing I can no longer see the Pinsider location on each PM, which is slightly less convenient when it comes to knowing if they're domestic or international.

#56 1 year ago

Quick update!

Okay, the promo bar should now stay put at the bottom.

Dark mode is now a setting in your forum settings.

You can choose permanent light or dark or let it depend on your OS setting. And hey, there's also a font size setting there. I will probably expand on this later, but for now it's just a simple setting.

Choose your Pinside dark mode setting

This setting carries between devices. So your dark mode setting will be the same on your phone and/or ipad and/or desktop.

Note that you can still temporarily override your setting at any time using the sunshine icon on the top right of the screen (or ctrl-b). This will last for the duration of your visit.

Changing your OS dark mode setting updates Pinside dark mode setting.

Notice how I'm changing my system setting and this automatically also changes Pinside's darkmode appearance. This should also work on Windows, but I have not tested it.

More work on mobile UI (space saving) and several reported bugs will be fixed later! I will also look at tweaking the dark mode design. But there's a time where you push out what you have and see what kind of feedback you get. Get the conversation going and all that! All feedback is welcome!

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

At Ars we go full black

What. Just looked up your name and I found you're the creative director at Ars Technica?? What else will I learn today?

#58 1 year ago

Loving dark mode...thanks!!

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from robin:

And hey, there's also a font size setting there. I will probably expand on this later, but for now it's just a simple setting.

You have to be a Pinside+ member to save the dark mode and font settings??? Bummer...

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:You have to be a Pinside+ member to change the font setting??? Bummer...

Are you sure?

#61 1 year ago

I click the settings and hit save. I get a pop-up that says Error! You need to be a Pinside+ member to save these settings. Hit refresh and it reverts back to the default.

#62 1 year ago

That means you have another setting enabled, namely the promo box setting. That would be the only reason for getting this message. Or it's a bug. Can you check and make sure the Promotion box setting is set to its default?

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from robin:

That means you have another setting enabled, namely the promo box setting. That would be the only reason for getting this message. Or it's a bug. Can you check and make sure the Promotion box setting is set to its default?

I had 'completely hide promotion box' setting selected. Not sure why that mattered, but it works now. Thanks.

#64 1 year ago

Love being in the dark...

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Making it more "in my face" is going to have exactly the opposite effect that you want...I am going to be annoyed by it and purposely not click on it because of that.

This guy gets it. Pertinent ads in proper places can have their place. Shoving them into the MIDDLE of a conversation will make me instantly boycott the products.

Quoted from robin:

Okay, the promo bar should now stay put at the bottom.

Thanks. I made the heart red again this morning

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Absolutely amazing robin !!
    On my iPhone, the text for game reviews is dark...unlike the text elsewhere. Just a note.
    Again, you rock and this is the best site on the internet.
    [quoted image]

Same here. I can't read the reviews unless I turn the brightness up (Samsung tablet 2019). Thanks Robin for the dark side and everything else.
    Screenshot_20200923-051743_Chrome (resized).jpg

#67 1 year ago

LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much for this, the dark mode is so much better for night browsing....

#68 1 year ago

Dark will most likely be my permanent setting. Love it!

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

This guy gets it. Pertinent ads in proper places can have their place. Shoving them into the MIDDLE of a conversation will make me instantly boycott the products.

Thanks. I made the heart red again this morning

Ha...I also made my heart red again once I saw he changed the ads back. I definitely appreciate feedback being heard and acted on!

#70 1 year ago

Just pushed some more changes/fixes based on your suggestions and feedback.

Phew, long day! Time for some relaxing now. Of course, in dark mode style!

black_ipa (resized).png
    #71 1 year ago
    Quoted from robin:

Just pushed some more changes/fixes based on your suggestions and feedback.
    Phew, long day! Time for some relaxing now. Of course, in dark mode style![quoted image]

Stellar Robin! And much deserved...

#72 1 year ago

Lots of nice changes, thanks!

#73 1 year ago

How do you sign out? Lost that icon.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

How do you sign out? Lost that icon.

It’s on the main profile page.

Could you possibly add an option for black text on a FS ad? It looks great in dark mode, but I’m not a fan of the pink in non-dark mode.

#75 1 year ago

Ok, looks like the short cut has been removed.

#76 1 year ago

Great Work Robin!
    Dark mode is great when needed, i like both mods.
    Ad bar moved to bottom again I think, that one bugged me and as Rosh pointed out previous page.
    Just did a Pm a moment ago which made me come here, glad I didn't start a topic.
    No offense on the PM change, not liking it at all. Goes to small font and bubble window. I like the idea of not having the pinsider bar each time.

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

No offense on the PM change, not liking it at all. Goes to small font and bubble window. I like the idea of not having the pinsider bar each time.

I second this. Can we increase the font size a bit and reduce the size of the avatar bubbles to allow for more text space?

#78 1 year ago

Also not super sure that the serif text on the menu options is a good choice. Only time a serif font appears on the site and it feels bizarre to me.

Edit: Realizing this is only on the mobile version...

#79 1 year ago

Not sure if you had a chance to check this yet, but here is the error when uploading images.
    _20200922_194003 (resized).JPG

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Not sure if you had a chance to check this yet, but here is the error when uploading images.
    [quoted image]

Try doing a hard refresh in your browser (hold ctrl and click the refresh button or press F5)

#81 1 year ago

I thought about that, considering the possibility of cookies or browser cache. It happens when I use multiple browsers though, one I just installed and haven't visited Pinside before with (Chrome).

#82 1 year ago

I’m using an iPhone and when I click the < button I now have the dark mode icon replacing the sign off icon. Where did you move the sign off icon to?

I should be offered the option to switch to dark mode ONCE, not every time that I return to the forum page.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Where did you move the sign off icon to?

Check out post #74

LTG : )

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Check out post #74

I’m not seeing it. Can you provide a screen shot? Thanks

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I’m not seeing it. Can you provide a screen shot?

I hold the little hand on my LTG ( don't click it ) and the Goose and LTG slide to the left and the sign out thingy pops up. Click on that.

DSC00334 (resized).JPG
    #86 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Try doing a hard refresh in your browser (hold ctrl and click the refresh button or press F5)

Did not solve it. I have cleared cache on my iPad, iPhone, and Mac and can not load a pic.

#87 1 year ago

I like the slightly larger fonts for thread posts, but not for the banners/headings.

I’d be be curious to know what % of browsing is done via phone vs browser? I’d guess it would be more phone, but the pinball crowd is not a true cross section of the rest of the world.

AAF22247-6EAE-49E9-9359-6FD0B4E1520C (resized).png
    #88 1 year ago

Btw, having trouble posting pictures unless I downgrade them to lowest possible resolution (like I had to do with this screen shot). This is the error I get when downloading at default.....

27DE8E28-624A-4AAB-B705-7620808CAB5E.png
    #89 1 year ago

I've actually gotten to the point that I stopped closing this box:
    box (resized).png

because it just comes back on the next page load.

#90 1 year ago

3 confirmed cases of the upload bug now.

#91 1 year ago

The serif font used on the header categories (MACHINES, TOP 100, etc.) is difficult to read, especially on mobile, and doesn’t match the style of the rest of the site.

Just looked on my computer and the header font is normal, but on iPhone/iPad it is a much different font.

iOS
    IMG_4524.PNG

PC

pasted_image (resized).png
    #92 1 year ago

I noticed on my PC (Chrome browser) I keep getting a "there are too many results" error when I try to scroll down the list of forum topics. I've never seen this before so assume it's related to the changes.

Also, I like the night mode and font sizes!

Pinside Error (resized).jpg
    #93 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The serif font used on the header categories (MACHINES, TOP 100, etc.) is difficult to read, especially on mobile, and doesn’t match the style of the rest of the site.

This was a mobile bug. Thanks for reporting.

Quoted from Strohz:

I noticed on my PC (Chrome browser) I keep getting a "there are too many results" error when I try to scroll down the list of forum topics. I've never seen this before so assume it's related to the changes.

This actually changed a few years ago. Due to the load it generates on the database, I no longer do real-time counts. I replaced this by “too many to count”

I also did some older browser optimizations today. Mostly older IE. And still looking into an uploading bug that some folks are reporting. Keep reporting those bugs

#94 1 year ago

Hi Robin, with this new update there is no longer a logout button on my Android phone? Or I'm I missing something? How do we log out now?

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from Captainhook:

Hi Robin, with this new update there is no longer a logout button on my Android phone? Or I'm I missing something? How do we log out now?

On mine, I push and hold my profile avatar at the top right. A pop up window appears. Use the back button at the bottom of the phone to clear the pop up screen and the logout button will be below your avatar image.

Another option is to click your avatar image at the top and on the profile screen there's an option to log off at the top.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

On mine, I push and hold my profile avatar at the top right. A pop up window appears. Use the back button at the bottom of the phone to clear the pop up screen and the logout button will be below your avatar image.
    Another option is to click your avatar image at the top and on the profile screen there's an option to log off at the top.

Thank you.

#97 1 year ago

Just noticed on android that the tabs in the menu move around when you click on them. It's a little odd and distracting. Fyi

Screenshot_20200923-095039.pngScreenshot_20200923-095048.pngScreenshot_20200923-095054.pngScreenshot_20200923-095058.png
    #98 1 year ago

I was having issues with upvoting and sending PM's. Robin suggested a hard refresh. Problem solved. Thanks Robin.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Just noticed on android that the tabs in the menu move around when you click on them. It's a little odd and distracting. Fyi[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve noticed the same thing.

The size of the translite picture in comparison to the logo is also a little off on mobile.

2CBDF8C9-02A7-4DF7-AE17-A4C2F3817982 (resized).png
    #100 1 year ago

I think if this area was blackened more and the boarding area was swapped with the lighter color it would provide more contrast making it easier to read the text.
    B1D892EC-15E9-408C-B478-19F6940C2205 (resized).jpeg

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside