cv2 (resized).jpg
1000023093 (resized).jpg
20240119_155917 (resized).jpg
20240119_155552 (resized).jpg
20240119_154416 (resized).jpg
20240119_155346 (resized).jpg
IMG_0414 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

You can never have enough colour on CV-

100_0916.jpg 132 KB

Did you get that neon from me, or from BAA? (I've been meaning to follow up on all the folks that purchased neons from me..)

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Custom made locally in Australia.

Cool. Glad to see some other ones out there!

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

something I couldn't bring myself to do so I just left it as is and didn't install the bracket. I also didn't install the post on the left of the RM, can't stand the thought of putting a hole in the playfield and I don't know that I've ever seen a CV with that post installed.

Both my sample CVs never had the kits installed. When the game is leveled properly, the highwire lock worked, and while balls may go through that little area next to the RM, I never had any balls get stuck there (since both my games had the thin RM installed..)

3 months later
#118 8 years ago

Work on slightly adjusting the back metal guide where the ball first goes up the wireform. Try different directions. On both of the games I used to own I had to seriously adjust these before it was perfect. (And even then, during 'perfect', one or two in 20 would fly off..)

3 weeks later
#124 8 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

I have sample number 154. Talked with j pop a few months back and he told me to look under the lock bar, and find the sticker that says how many balls to install. There is a little scribble on it. That's his signature that he inspected it. He said all the protos and samples were inspected by him. I know there is a lot of j pop bashing going on right now
But I thought it was a cool fact. Cv is my favorite pop game.
image.jpg

Interesting. Both of my samples had that - didn't know what it was. Neat info.

3 months later
#149 8 years ago

Yeah, it was a lot more interactive than it ended up being.

All I remember is that some balls were held up at the top, just below the bell. During certain modes, a set # of balls were to be released (like, say, 4) and before all of the available balls were shot back up, you had to complete some mode or shots on the playfield. There was no scoring switch ('Luck'), just a switch to tell the game if a ball was at top, waiting to be released. (Visible in the second image.)

Then it was changed for cost purposes, the solenoid for the bell was removed, and the balls were just supposed to hit the bell. The balls were also changed - they were made larger, I believe? - and then final cost-cutting got rid of the bell, turning it into a sound-effect.

(I modified my v2.0H ROM to remove the sound effect, since my sample still had the actual bell in it.)

1 week later
#157 8 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Last night my girlfriend (Pinfatale on here) beat Ringmaster battle for the second time & I managed to get some video of the dmd craziness that ensues when you get this bonus mode , posting it here for those who have never seen it , its something to behold ///// I have joined Cirqus but, yet to do this feat myself , gonna play some more ....... here is the link to the video » YouTube video

Yeah, I love that. Honestly, when I had my CVs, that's all I used to go for - the Join The Cirqus was just an added bonus.

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Thanks for posting the video. I've done that a few times, but I always wanted to pause/slow it down so I could see what the hell was going on. Thanks again!

Don't get too used to it.. if memory serves, except for a few choice animations (including the 'Ray-Boot'), the others are randomized, so it's mainly different each time. (Including sounds..)

3 months later
#175 8 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Anyone know of a place to buy a backbox insert decal? I'd love to swap the plastic she'll in mine since it's cracked but I can't seem to find any repros available for this decal. Bit nervous to attempt to remove the original and transfer it without having a backup plan.
If anyone has a high quality scan of the art this would also be helpful.

I have an NOS decal - I can scan it, but it's larger than most flatbed scanners, so.. the images may need some work to stitch together.

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

I could easily stitch it together if you scanned it in parts.
Also would you ever consider selling it?

Nnnooo... eventually I plan on re-adding CV to my collection, and knowing my luck, if I let it go, I'll need it. Gimme a few days, and I'll get it scanned in for you.

1 month later
#188 8 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Someone did a run of these a few years back,you could chose the colour.The protector came with a separate smaller inner piece to replace the larger part of the ringmaster top plate that didn't affect the magnet pulse.
I have searched in the past for zero results.The metal protector,i think is a 3M stick on, a bit like a piston ring shape.Much prefer the plastic version.

I can't rememebr the name off-hand, but they were probably the first 'protector' for the ringmaster. I prefer it over anything else, and think they were first made in '05? I don't believe they're made anymore, which is a huge shame.

2 months later
#224 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There was a kit (A-22270) that WMS issued back in the day that addressed this and several other things (if you've seen CV with a post behind the "Bally" target on the left of the RM it was part of this kit). I bought one of these kits somewhere many years ago but never installed it because it requires you to trim a piece out of the DMD cover to fix that problem and I certainly didn't want to drill a hole in my PF to install the post by the RM. Here's a picture of the instructions related to the DMD cover fix.

CVDMDCoverInst_(resized).jpg

Oh gawd, than kyou.

The only thing necessary was the display plastic. The post was easy to get around as long as you had your RM set up right, and I hated seeing people drill into their PFs. The lock adjuster spacer was unnecessary as well - level your game properly and make sure switch edges were good, and you wouldn't have any issues..

2 months later
#242 7 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Hi guys. I just have a rules question I can not seem to find the answer to.
How to get "Spot Marvel" to lite.
I have the 2.0H but I keep it more factory so not to award Spot Marvel on the skill shot.

The right inlane rollover lights it for a set time.
And, I believe that it's lit permanently after .. something happens. (Darnit! I can't recall, I think it may be after the Ringmaster Special multiball?)

1 week later
#256 7 years ago

That usually just meas your rivets are loose. I would replace them.

1 week later
#262 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I finally joined. The game has been on my wish list since 2011. Already have my LED ColorDMD and gameglades, but need the time to install it all.

Nice custom neon. I probably made that one!

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I just updated my CV and something didn't go right. Any ideas?
I'll take is as a challenge.

Your ringmaster is not straight..!

3 months later
#305 7 years ago

Found an old photo of testing one of my custom color neons.
I can't recall off-hand the color. But this was a rich blue. Had purple phosphor, in blue glass, lit by red neon gas. Made a VERY dark, rich violet. THe color was effin' amazing, but it was NOT bright.

IMG_4678 (resized).jpgIMG_4678 (resized).jpg

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Coyote you have any still laying around I could snag?

Unfortunately no. I had *1* left, up until I moved into the new house back in 2012 - it shattered in move.

I have one SW:EP1 tube left, would have to connect it up to see what color it is.

Eventually, when I get a CV back into my collection, I may start making them again, non-commercially. When I do, I'll drop a note here and let you guys know.

1 month later
#309 7 years ago

Looks like one of my custom neons, nice!

Also, I hate to say it, but the center marvel decal is off-center. The 'Visit Ring 3' text should be completely hidden. (However, regardless, it's kinda neat to see if under there..)

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I was just reading my CV manual and it looks like the game came with an auto Eddy board originally. My Ringmaster almost always registers hits, but a fast moving ball may sometimes not register.

Sample and early production games had auto boards. Mid run, they switched to the normal board. Not sure why, but that's why there's a setting in the Adjustments to specify whether you have/don't have the auto-adjust board.

1 week later
#318 7 years ago

I'll say. I've had two CVs in my collection in the past. While I don't have one anymore, I will play a virtual pin on my laptop on the ride to/from work sometimes.

I was playing tonight, and happened to get Juggler and RM Frenzy started, with 1 ramp to go before Strike An Arc, and 2 Highwire balls locked.

Did fantastic on the first two multiballs, and was able to slam the ball up the ramp to get the Super Duper Jackpot, and stack the other two multiballs on top of that.

The energy in the game.. gosh, made me really, really miss this game.

1 week later
#324 7 years ago

Also - check both switches on the highwire ramp. (Not the lock ones, the ramp ones, make sure they register correctly as well.)

#331 7 years ago

Holy cow, those are horrid!

Yeah, get the switches with the rollers - while not technically OEM (I'm not sure why WMS didn't use them.. DE used them everywhere back then!) they work millions times better.

#337 7 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

To know, you own a machine that was made by the worst criminal known in the pinball history...
How can you play it, let alone own it?

Because it was programmed by one of the best pin programmers out there, with the last version done without any input from him.

And don't go bringing the effin' JPop crap here, please. Leave it in the respected threads.

#346 7 years ago

Curios - when the ball comes down the highwire ramp, in switch test mode, and the ball 'lifts up' - does switch #66 *STAY ACTIVATED*? It should.

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

if i let go of the ball just before switch 68, it'll reg all 3, then 66 stays on. if i drop the ball at the top of the ramp, i hear 3 switch beeps, but it says 67 was last switch; nothing stays on.

Okay, yeah, I would get new switches first - but keep in mind that even if the ball is 'lifted', it should still activate #66. It's possible that the ball is lifting too much to activate the switch and the top 'guard' should be bent down.

Edit to add: On both CVs I owned, to improve the locking there, I used a huge set of pliers and a towel to bend the top guard down - so the vertical movement was almost nil.

#357 7 years ago

Try moving the actuating lever to the other set of nubs.

Edit, for more info - The inside nub will be a little stiffer, but give a lot more travel while actuated. The outside nub requires less force to actuate, but has a much small actuating window.

NEITHER position should be tight enough to *hold up a ball*. If it IS, your game is not leveled right - or there's something else wrong in how the wireform is assembled. (One leg under a nut instead of over, etc?)

On the two CVs I've had, I kept my game between 6.5-7 degrees, and on the steeper slopes, had to squeeze down the top guide, so the ball didn't ride up the lock shaft, but other than that, it worked fine..

#363 7 years ago

IMHO, I had an issue with drilling a hole in my playfield. On my samples, I never did any of the things listed in that bulletin. With a nice slope on the playfield, never had issues.

1 week later
#367 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

the flasher under the balloon pop, just a regular white bulb or did it originally have a condom on it?

Do you mean the lamp IN the pop bumper, or the actual flasher, underneath the playfield.
In both cases, as far as I remember, they were both bare.

1 month later
#380 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

i have a funny. i bought my CV back in february, i think. i've been playing the entire time with a non-functional upper diverter post. no wonder it was so hard to join the cirqus! i had to hit the orbit with just enough power to get it up there, but not too much that it would complete the orbit. makes me laugh now .

Huh. How'd you ever get the sideshow?

#384 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Ah no not the backbox decals, sorry, I meant the inside backbox decal, you know where the canon ball gets launched over Do those exist at all?

PPS just recently started making them.. Check their store.

#401 7 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

On my CV, shots to the Acrobats ramp often fly off the ramp on the left side of the playfield. The game is level and pitched at 7 degrees. Any tips or tricks to keep the ball on the rails?

This was (still is?) extremely common. Adjust the wireform and the metal guides in small amounts. When adjusted right, you may get *occasional* fly-offs, but most of them should stay on.

1 month later
#416 6 years ago

Just FYI, the neon would never get hot enough to cloud the plastic.
Could be UV light escaping and causing that to happen, or something else..

#425 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I had assumed they would stop moving . It is my first pin :/.

How? If the shooter lane gets filled up, where would the rest of the balls in the trough kick out to?

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

here's my setup. do you have that plastic spacer for lift? i also have plastic protectors on mine, so there's two layers of game/art plastic, too.

IMHO, if you need to have the spacer there to make sure balls are dropping out correctly, your game is not leveled steep enough. Give the game some speed!

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

oh, that's not factory? came as is with the game. yeah, i definitely don't run my pins very steep. i try to take it easy on my friends and 5 year old daughter.

It was offered as the upgrade kit, offered a couple months after production started. The same kit told operators to drill in a post behind the left Bally-Hoo standup at the Ringmaster.

On the two games I owned, I kept them at between a good 6.5-7.0 slope, and never had to insert the spacer. (Hell, I nevere even had to put the roller-switches on. Was I lubky? Both times? I dunno..)

At a lesser slope, the ramp's not as steep, so the timing of the coil plunger isn't long enough to allow a ball out. Hence the spacer and getting a steeper slope.

however, AT a steeper slope, the front ball can 'ride up' on the plunger, which means that the top chrome wireform should be bent down using large plumber's wrench and a towel - down as far as it can go and not bind on the balls in the lock. That will prvent the ballse from 'riding up' and off a switch.

3 weeks later
#448 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballCoug:

I picked up a CV several months ago and have dealt with this issue all along but have just now found the time to investigate. When obtaining the first highwire lock ball I immediately get a sneaky lock and have two highwire locks, when of course I've only achieved one. In test mode each switch individually activates properly but in edge test I drop a ball from the magnet, get three audible switch activations (presumably high, middle, then low) but the last switch activated as shown on the DMD is 67 (middle lock switch). Although all three switches were activated, this delay in the middle switch signal must be communicating that a second ball as entered the lock after switch 66 (low lock switch) has been triggered (which of course it has not). This issue is 100% repeatable when dropping the ball from the magnet, but when the ball is released half way down the wireform the switches perform correctly with low lock being the last switch activated. This seems to indicate that with the faster ball speed from the magnet the middle switch is delayed and activates after the lower switch, but with the slower ball speed from mid wireform everything performs correctly. I've tried manipulating the switches to have a smaller gap on the middle switch (quicker activation) and larger on the low switch (slower activation) but this hasn't helped a bit. Is my issue related to some sort of delay in feedback from the middle switch or perhaps the slope of the wireform?
Appreciate any help, your mother drives a dumptruck!

Bad switch. It's gummed up. Get a new one.

#456 6 years ago

Cannon will fire also each time SPIN is completed, or a Marvel is completed.
I don't remember too well (it's been over 10 years since I've owned the game!) but I believe Jackpot shots will fire the cannon as well.

#458 6 years ago
Quoted from mikedetroit:

Thanks for the input guys, I played Clay's in Ann Arbor, MI (Vintage Flipper World) and the cannon seems to work a lot more often then mine. Maybe its since I don't have home ROMs in mine since its on location and needs to be on coin play. Its the most up to date version before home ROMs. It just seems like the cannon should be firing during the video mode (man pulling rope). I do believe Clays was doing it during that mode.
All it does is during that mode is when you hit the flippers, he pulls the rope and else nothing happens with he cannon, its weird. May be I just don't understand this mode. I've just got complaints from people playing it that the game isn't acting right during that mode.

Off the top of my head -
- It may be the ROM revision - I helped beta-test v2.0H, and do NOT remember a THING about the revisions prior to that, it was so long ago.
- It may be a loose wire - in-game, there are vibrations happening (flippers, coils, etc..) which may help the connection keep good, and as soon as everything stops the connection isn't made to the coil.
- Wired wrong? Maybe the coil is wired to a flasher output or something? Check Test and see if it fires when it's supposed to? (And if not, go through ALL coils and flashers and make sure they are all operating normally..)

#462 6 years ago

You can adjust the 'wait time' of the cannon - like if you put a second or third ball in there, you can decrease the wait time to allow faster shots - both in the video mode, and when cannon shots are stacked (completing 'SPIN' and completing the marvel at the same time).

3 weeks later
#470 6 years ago

Good to hear!
Now we just need someone with plastics experience to make the RM protector..!

#476 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I thought that none of those ever really worked very well - I've heard the metal one would get caught and bend and that the plastic ones never fit very well so they moved and caused wear. If people are interested maybe someone like indypinhead that does quite a bit of plastic work could come up with something.

I had the plastic one on both my sample CVs, and never had issues with them. I have one left over, and am saving it for my next CV.. you know, when I win the lotto. If they're not that desired, then if anyone has any extras, I'll buy them, too.

1 week later
#495 6 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Anyone making the neon tubes? I would like to get one in aqua blue. Any leads would be great!

I may start making custom ones again, but it will be a few months, if I do. Unsure yet, but if I do, I'll let folks here know, of course.

#497 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Where do you get that plastic one?? I've been looking for that for months!

Not made any more. Haven't been for a long while, unfortunately. I was lucky, I found a pinsider selling one and picked it up. I bought one for both of the sample games I used to own, and when I get CV back into my collection, I'll put this one on it.

1 week later
#510 6 years ago

So you have a pic of this 'electrified guy'?

The #5 ball is the correct ball.
Games were shipped with varying color of Menagerie colored balls. Both may be accurate.

#513 6 years ago

OH!
That went on the coin door. In one of the dollar bill panels.

Quoted from drummermike:

Menagerie ball should match the color of the neon light. Mine are both blue which is correct for my serial number.

No, they *were* random leaving the factory.

#521 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I was mistaken. The IPD stated the colors "usually" matched. Brain is going!

Not your fault- I didn't even know it said that!
When I got my Sample, I started the CV owner's list, and kept track of everyone's game - plus Neon and Ball color, and it sure seemed hellish random to me at the time.

1 week later
#533 6 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

So we just joined the CV club! Quick question; when do the balls stack up on three switches on the rails alongside the ramp? From what we've seen it only holds one ball and then releases it? Just want to make sure it's working as expected? Thanks!

You mean the Highwire ramp?
It should lock balls there - lock two. Then the third is caught and held up there as the animation plays, and then you start Highwire Multiball.

If it's not holding the ball, you likely have a bad or flaky switch.

#548 6 years ago

No, the screw was oval. Top was slightly rounded. It was not flat from the factory.

#550 6 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Then I guess mine is correct. I was only wondering because the ball tends to swing below the screw as the RM raises up and then most often flings off the back rather than juke around on the plate before flinging off. So I though maybe the oval screw was causing the ball to break contact with the magnet too quickly.

From what I remember - and it's been a while, I could be wrong - that was done on purpose as a flat screw would get the ball in the dead center of the magnet's effect, and when the magnet would 'pulse', the ball wouldn't go anywhere. (Sitting in the center of the face of the screw like that..)

However, while a lot of times, games I've owned/played did shoot the ball backwards, it wasn't nearly (or even close to) 'all the time'. So, I'm not sure what a fix would be. Stronger magnet coil?

1 week later
#554 6 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Howdy-
I'm rebuilding my Boom! balloon assembly, & there are 2 things that don't seem right.
1: The manual shows 1X item 57, 23-6626 Grommet, between the bumper body & cap ("Boom" plastic). My game had no grommets, just 1 small shim (Velcro?) between the bumper body & cap at the hole closer to the point of the teardrop (the screw closer to the flippers).
Are there supposed to be 2 of these grommets? For shock absorption?
2: For the little lamp PCB assembly, item 16, is there anything holding it in place, apart from its 2 wires? It was rather cockeyed when I opened up the pop bumper, but I have it sitting a bit better now. Just seeing if it should have some further retention.
Thanks,
-Jason

1. Just one rubber grommet, on the bottom hole. The grommet is used to 'level' the plastic so that it's flush with the playfield.
2. No, it just sat in the bottom of the bumper body.

3 weeks later
#565 6 years ago
Quoted from flipper73:

thank you. How can it be lit?

The right inlane temporarily lights it, and defeating RM Razz (I believe?) permanently lights it.

#568 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

"Inlane in the membrane".... LOL

Bwaha. I didn't even notice my phone autocorrected that. D'oh! Fixed.

2 weeks later
#571 6 years ago

Try switching the pegs that the switch actuator is mounted on, on the switch body.

1 week later
#584 6 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

I'm going to keep it in there for now. What color is yours? I didn't realize they came with so many different colors. I realize this may be subjective, but what seems to look best on the game? What about the multi-color? Is that too much?

When I started making the custom neons, purple was most popular, followed by multi-colored neons (of various colors..)

#588 6 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

You make those? Really cool? I like the thought of purple. Where does one find one?

Don't make them anymore. Neon is a dying art and the company I was learning from and making these shut down.

If you have your original, take it to a neon shop (some commercial sign shops do neon..) and tell them you'd like to have one made matching the original's pattern. Ask to see what inventory thru have, and go to town.

#597 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

what color was the original neon?

There were about 5 different colors form the factory. Was semi-randomized by game. Same with the Menagerie ball.

1 month later
#620 6 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

So what’s the difference between all the different neon lights? Are some earlier production runs? Which color is more common? Just curious thanks!

As far as I know, colors were completely random coming out of the factory. I don't know how much they made of each color. (Would guess that noone knows of-hand. Would need to check purchase records or talk to the neon shop that originally made them.)

There's two types of neon tubes used in the game - true Neon gas tubes (orange-red when on, *clear* when off) and Argon gas tubes (Blue, White, Green, Purple with the game, other colors can be done custom - these appear white or colored when off).

There are some games out there with custom tubes - back between '03 and '08, I had custom tubes made to order. Had a lot of neat colors go out the door. I don't know how many are left out there now.

1 week later
#630 6 years ago
Quoted from BallyWilliams:

Hi. Have you seen a guide (ideally video) on how to swap the neon?

Quoted from pintechev:

There’s not a lot to it:
1. Remove the Neon ramp from the game
2. Drill out and remove the rivets that hold the ramp together
The neon tube has wires that protrude on both sides and are just hand twisted together.

Just do NOT DO THIS with the game on! That is VERY high voltage!

2 weeks later
#660 6 years ago

Hey guys..

Just a PSA..

You're a d*ck if you replace the neon with a LED strip.

(I mean, you can still get neon tubes. New, they shouldn't cost a lot, and transformers are still EASILY available. They give off no heat, and come in a lot more neat colors than LEDs do.)

Thank you,
-Mike.

3 months later
#691 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The Mod Couple welcomes home Cirqus Voltaire with our first CV Mod "The Ringmaster Custom Guard" kit. While we understand this is not a New concept no solutions appear to be available and we wanted to make a few refinements to make it perfect for such a Beautiful game! Each ring is produced with a Very tough Nylon material to ensure extreme durability and uniform color. For some added value and finesse we added Raised lettering to showcase the star of the show and hand painted each for a great custom theme look. The ring is specially designed with a split ring opening for an easy straight forward installation and will also accommodate standard playfields as well as ones that are clear coated and slightly smaller in diameter!! The Ringmaster guard is a Complete custom kit including a New replacement Ringmaster Spell Wow decal and a New ultra strong nylon black top Ringmaster disk for a completely Smooth ball travel and minimized air balls!! Simple installation with color image instructions. PM for interest and order. Kits shipping this week complete for $69 US Free shipping. Thanks to all for your interest in our products!!

Nice!
Will you be selling them without the words in there?

2 months later
#705 5 years ago
1 week later
#709 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Might want to post a link to the non-beta site.

Oh, FFS. I'm an idiot.

Luckily, I got it. It IS in the manual - just not in the *schematics*. (Why? I dunno.)
Thanks!

1 week later
#723 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I don’t think I have seen one with the yellow neon…it looks cool.

Custom. I likely made it.

#726 5 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

Coyote......I've been waiting for you to start making these again, any idea when?

I've been talking to a few neon shops. They are getting rarer and rarer.
I'm at a short stopping point because of a few things - Other projects, and the fact that I don't have my glass pattern anymore; I have to make a new one. And to make a new one, I need an existing neon to take in - and until I have a game of my own back in my colleciton, or find someone (local) willing to loan me theirs, I won't be able to get to the next stage!

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I recently had to replace the transformer on mine and since I wasn't sure at first it that was the problem I had called a local Neon shop and they told me if I brought the existing tube in they would give me a quote to make a new one. I had every intention of doing that but when I put the new transformer in and it worked I had an overwhelming desire to put it all back in the game and not risk screwing anything up by pulling the tube out of the ramp so I never did it. I did just use hardware to hold the ramp back together as I don't have a rivet press so it would be fairly simple for me to pull mine out and take it to the shop.

That's another reason I haven't gone head-first into remaking the custom neons.

When I was doing them back in the 00's, I was able to get them at a discount, because I was friends with the shop owner, and they were teaching me how to make them. (In return, I sold him a pinball game, that they put in their break-room.)

Now, he has closed up shop - and due to work changes, I no longer have my mornings off to hook up with another shop and create that kind of relationship. Which means prices will be higher. It's also posible that colors will be more limited, as when I was at that shop, I got access to order what raw tubes I thought would be neat to use - and whatever was left over, he bought from me.

Other than looking at the colors and the game and going, 'Dood, Violet and Emerald Green look FANTASTIC togeher!', I wasn't adding anything in the creation. So literally, anyone can take their tube out, over to a neon shop, and say 'I want this reproduces, in <colors>'.

(By the way, Emerald Green is a freaking AWESOME color. )

#730 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Coyote, is this what you need? Its the neon tube that was in my CV before the last owner put your gold one in. [quoted image]

Yup. Exactly.

Usually it's only needed once, as a 'trace pattern' (a 'copy' of the design, laid out on paper twice, for profiles) is made, so that it can be reproduced.

My last trace got lost down in Georgia, and then my last neon tube (to make a trace *from*) shattered on it's way out here to WV.

#737 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I don't mean to bring any ick and non original talk to this section, but has anyone considered using the LED Neon for the neon tube, its flexible, looks like real neon, can come in multiple colors, or even RGB, Im sure could be controlled by the game possibly. take a look, may-be food for thought?
amazon.com link »

Two issues -
It's 120/240v.
It can only be cut in 1ft increments. You.. would need to do some really neat hiding or conflagualting there.

#740 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I believe at its core, they're 12v led strips, also if you're keen enough, you can actually cut them much much shorter than every 1 ft... I don't need to upgrade mine, but they sure got me thinking

True.. Sometimes the cut areas are down to three inches. The ones I got couldn't be trimmed any shorter, or the ones that were left in tha t'cut' segment were dark.

#743 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I guess one of us is going to have to take some time to play with this
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Send some over! Would love to play with that!

Note that while I may seem against this.. I am.
I think the RGB LEDs would be awesome use if someone made like a 'Continued' version of the game (like CCC), that would then take advantage of the RGB LEDs and shift them according to gameplay. THAT would be awesome.

4 months later
#791 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Here is a pic of the Sample Ring Master mod to inhibit the ball stick issue behind the Skinny Ringmaster. I played one game with the original configuration and the ball got stick back there immediatly. After I installed the mod I havent had a stick yet and it’s been almost a year.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Jeezuz, no.
When a sample CV dialed in and leveled properly, the ball will not get stuck behind that target with a sample RM head.

The RM head was enlarged to prevent the small head from 'grabbing' the ball and pulling it down into the cabinet, taking the ball out of play. THey released the tech bulletin when they found out the larger head wasn't letting the ball roll past the RM head.

On *THAT SPECIFIC GAME* you did not need to do that.

How do I know? That's MY OLD GAME. That game was used to help develop/beta v2.0H. It's good to see the game still alive out there, but... the new hold in the playfield hurts me.

#794 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Now go to IPD and look at the ring master on the playfield on one of the regular CV games. What Do You See? There are two posts on the left side (just like the sample game)

That is because production games had this done at the factory. Only sample, and early CVs had to have this tecnnical bulleting done to it.

1 month later
#814 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Can anyone explain why I would be getting a high wire ramp kickout after two balls?

You have a mis-registering switch. In switch test mode, roll a ball down the ramp, one at a time, and watch the lock switches.

#816 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

The switches seem to be registering correctly. Basically you get ball 1 locked, then ball 2...next thing you know it says "watch high wire ramp for kickout" and it releases both balls. This is not the start of a multiball, it is an error. If I hit another ball up there it will say ball 3 and then correctly start the multiball.
It would appear that it is registering two balls, then deciding to kickout a single which actually kicks out both.

*nods*
However, it should not be even kicking out the 1 ball. It should be giving you the third ball down in the shooter lane.

This can happen if:
It doesn't see the 2nd lock switch held closed,
It sees the 3rd lock switch closed (with or without the 2nd lock switch closed), or
It sees 2nd lock switch closed without 1st lock switch closed.

Essentially, the game's seeing seomthign OTHER than Lock 1 and Lock 2 switches closed.

Edit to add: Likely, the second ball is pressing the first one up and off of Lock #1 switch. Which is why I said to go into test mode, and watch the lock switches as you roll balls onto the wire ramp.

#818 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

This condition can happen to a game that has no switch issues. I like my game angle set steep. So when I get the second and third lock balls they sometimes will make the first locked ball ride up the post some. If your switches are set too tight that first switch will release when the second and third balls lock. If you change your switches to roller type this condition will not happen. Or you can just adjust your existing switches (especially that first one) to allow for the ball to move up on that post a bit.

Yup.
However, when the ball rides up and causes the first switch to not register, I still call that a 'switch issue'. A way around this, also - without needing to adjust your switches, and what I had to do to every CV I owned/had on route - squeeze the top metal guide down - to prevent the balls running up.

I like my games steep, so I did this to all of them. Muhaha.

#838 5 years ago

I think that when I had mine, I kept both of mine on the steeper side - 7-7.5. I like fast games, too.

5 months later
#914 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Hello all having an issue with my CV.
After a ball is shot out into shooter lane I get these less powerful coil hits. They are not hard enough to shoot another ball out into the shooter lane. Whenever the game needs to shoot a ball out for whatever reason that works fine and the coil hits hard. i usually get this after a ball it shot into the shooter lane usually 3 or 4 times then it stops until I drain. Any ideas on what to check?
I pulled and cleaned the trough, reflowed both through boards, transervers optos are all working. I do have another rciever board I could pull from another game but it seems odd that I only get soft coil hits No diod on this coil (maybe I should check to see if that is the correct coil also) switch test doesn't show anything going in and out even when shaking and hitting the machine.
Thanks

Your Trough Jam opto is bad, or the game is seeing it as blocked. The 'light kicks' are the coil eject trying to get the balls to settle back down into the trough properly.

#916 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I posted a video in the FB Pinball repair group it can't here.
All the trough opto's work fine in test including the eject opto 31, the shooter lane switch works fine. Everything seems to work fine balls are kicked out fine when they are supposed to be even during multiball or ball saves.
Just say after ball one is shot into the shooter lane I get soft hits from the through coil usually 3 to 5 hits then it goes away until I drain then again after say ball 2 gets kicked out. They are soft fantom like hits, they are not hard enough to shoot a ball into the shooter lane. But if i drain and the ball saver is on it kicks out just fine, coil hits hard.
I pulled the through mech out cleaned and waxed the trough, reflowed the opto boards, the transmitters are all working.
With the game in switch test I never see anything going in or out even with shaking of the machine. I'm going to swap in another trough receiver board from another game but with the coil hits being soft it's not like a standard trough board issue with a bad or dirty opto at least it doesn't seem that way because I'm not getting extra alls put in play just soft coil hits from the trough coil.

Don't know what else to say, 'cept something's no right. That's what that 'light kicking' is doing, and why it's doing it.

I would start a game with the coin door open (with high-power interlock closed, so coils work, of course), and start a game. When the ball is kicked out to the shooter lane and it does the light jam kick, go into Test Mode, T.3 Single Switch Test, and look at switch 31. The graphic shoudl show a LIT/filled square (not an empty one) and the description on screen should *NOT* have an "(A)" on it.

#918 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

normal through issues with extra balls getting kicked out

Cameron wrote this code, and specifically adjusted the coil kickout to AVOID kicking out a second ball. Yeah - he did that on purpose, and AFAIK, it was written into the OS this way so games / firmwares released afterward (and that used the new OS) took advantage of this feature.

#920 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Interesting, that's games after CV? I just had a transmitter go out on my Totan and it did the normal kick out extra balls and other stuff like that but this is the first time I've seen the week coil hits. good stuff to know.
I'm running the Home ROM you think that's got anything to do with it?
I'm going to swap the MPU to Driver board ribbon cable later tonight then the trough receiver board, after that not sure what else to try.

The Home ROM would cause it to fire like that. I mean, it would, but if it thought there was a ball stuck or something. My guess is that since the switch shows closed in switch test, likely you have a failing transmitter or receiver on your trough opto board. I'd do that before touching the board in the backbox.

4 months later
#1030 4 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

If you are using the Rotten Dog power driver board, it will blow chip U20. RD did not fuse that circuit and it instead blows the chip.

Seriously? Holy heck.

#1033 4 years ago

Bend his spring.

#1035 4 years ago

In the years I have (two) CVs, I was able to fix all positioning issues by bending his spring.

And yes, get the plastic protector. I have one of the originals from the later 90's, in storage alllll these years until I get my CV back.

1 week later
#1053 4 years ago
Quoted from Cygor:

Can someone please tell me what color rubbers were intended to be on the game when it was originally released? I have been looking at a ton of photos, and 1/2 are white, and 1/2 are black. I'm about to go replace mine. I know a lot of people will say 'whatever you think looks best' but I don't really know what I like more, so I thought I'd check to see what the intended color was.

It is possible it was changed during production, but both my Sample games came with white.

In the past, white was bouncier than black. So you didn't select the color based on looks, it preferred game play. Nowadays, no telling.

5 months later
#1086 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

High Wire kickout.
I swear it used to kick out just 1 if I had a couple locked up there & it needed to get 1 back.
The last few times it's kicked out, the lock post goes down & stays down, allowing all 3 to dump.
All 3 switches seem to register nicely, I'm using the fancy roller-arm switches.
The post moves freely. The post kicks down & up very quickly during coil test. So, I don't think the post is binding.
Does this behavior indicate a switch issue?
Thanks!
-Jason

Usually, yes, the game will long-pulse that coil if the expected number of balls in there don't match what is actually in there.

I would play a game, and when you get to the point where it's going to drop all the balls, quickly go into switch test, and see what switches are active. (Without lifting, moving, or doing anything with the playfield.)

#1088 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

So, appears to be how it's coded, unless there's a switch registration nuance.

Yeah, something else is going on. (I only say this because I worked with Cameron in beta-testing, and he did a lot of code updates and tweaks to get the ramp kickout working right. This means that I played so many games with the glass off, trying to 'break' his code and find bugs.) What's going on in yours, though.. really, really hard to say. I never had the rollers in my game - I never had issue with the stock switch-ends. (I *ALSO* never had to install the service bulletin fixes; though I know other beta-testers HAD installed it.)

Quoted from jasonbar:

s a solution to bend that overhead guide down a little to prevent the 1st ball from shifting upward?

Yup!

#1090 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I guess that begs the question "what ROM is he running in the game?"

True. I assume a lot, and always assume folks are on 2.0h..!

#1092 3 years ago

Yeah, while I don't have my CVs anymore, it's possible that the first ball is riding up and then sitting back down. Possible that would cause it. And yeah, the ramp is strong. I did bend mine on both of my CVs back in the day.

MAYBE you can adjust the switches, to give them more 'activating' room, so that when the first ball bounces up, the switch doesn't deactivate.

1 month later
#1128 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

he GI OCD looks attractive. The LEDs do flicker a fair amount, which is a nuisance. But I understand it requires hooking up to a PC for programming before installing in the game, which is a turn-off for me.

No, it doesn't.
You ONLY need to hook it up if you don't like the default settings, or want to customize something.

#1130 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Oooh! Thanks for the correction!
Happy to learn!
1. So, how does the GI OCD perform out of the box when installed in a CV?
2. Does it dim all GI LEDs smoothly?
3. Does it also make the backbox GI LEDs follow the same behavior as the PF LEDs? (thereby obviating the need for the Blackout PCB)
Thanks!
-Jason

1. It will be acceptable - you WILL see a difference! Whether or not you can improve it or not, that's hard to say. ESPECIALLY if you have 3rd party power boards installed.
2. Yes.
3. I honestly do not remember this one, sorry.

#1132 3 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

owner swap the neon to leds 12v.

Oh, ghods.

Quoted from RGAires:

- Do i have to wait some amount of time, to warm up the "neon" (setting - 'Neon ON Time') ?
- Incorrect plug of the led on the 12v connect (Swaping the wires) can damage the chip that controls this?

To answer your question - put a freakin' neon back in.

To get technical - Some of the neon tubes were filled with Argon and coated with phosphor. (And some used colored glass as well. By mixing the gas, phosphor, and glass color, you can make a 'neon' tube in almost any color.) Phosphor will be dimmer the colder it is - and it cools down when the neon/gas is off. So, CV's ROM has 'Neon ON Time' and 'Neon OFF Time'. When the OFF time has been reached - including game time off - then the game will turn ON the neon for as long as the Neon ON Time - to warm up the phosphor and make sure the tube is as bright as it can be.

With clear glass tubes - red for neon, blue-white for argon - the On/Off time isn't needed. And unless you're a purist, you can usually set the On/Off time to 0 for phosphor tubes, as well. LEDs don't need those settings. Turn them off.

#1137 3 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Well to resume it, ive left the machine plugged for about 5 minuts and.... after that time the "neon" started blinking in attrack mode, thing that never have done before, but during the game nothing happens, never reach the neon multiball, i belive the game still have the original ROM.

Really hard to properly diagnose with LEDs. The game uses PWM for effects on the neon, which may not be compatible with that LED strip. Also, NEON multiball - if I remember Cameron's odds correctly - was 1 in 100 on the first shot to Sideshow. (Without entering in the secret code before game start.) But, for example, the neon will glow on then glow off when you shoot up the highwire ramp.

#1141 3 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

My general idea is to change it for a neon for sure, just want to make that hardware/software wise is working as it should.
Thanks

If the LEDs are turning on at all, then everything works up to the point where this LED addition is. So, hardware works.
If the sotware isn't working - but it is, even pre-v2.0h - there's not much you could do *anyways*.

#1143 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Wuzza wuzza whaaaah?

You can find it easily.
Cameron put it into a beta when we were testing v2.0H, to test some multiball stacking and other things. He was going to remove it in the final release, but we (the beta testers) asked for him to leave it in. It agreed, if we didn't tell anyone about it. AFAIK, we never did, but someone else reverse-engineered the software and found the code.

2 weeks later
#1185 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hey Fellas
Ok. The machine is up and running with just one error and I am hoping it is minor
I am getting a middle switch error on the ringmaster. Wondering if there is anyone out there that has worked on this mechanism and can afford some advice for servicing or just checking that switch? Thank you

Ringmaster Test in the Service Menu is a fantastic place to start.

1 week later
#1208 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Fellas
Quickie here. Is it necessary to remove batteries from the game when changing out U6, the game eprom? Thank you
George

No. Just turn the game off before hand.

#1218 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

It sees it as being locked but after the video stuff the ball is let go onto the play field??

It will eject the ball back onto the playfield, if:
1. There are no more balls in the trough. (Missing ball, bad trough switch, etc.)
2. The lock switches (all three of them) do not immediatly represent balls in the highwire lock.

To test #1 - make sure that no balls are in Juggler, and that all your trough switches are working.
To test #2 - put the game into single switch mode, highlight switch #66. Set the ball on the highwire magnet, and let it roll down into the highwire ramp. The switch should activate and stay on. It should NOT go On-Off-On, or have any flutter in activating.

My guess is that the ball is hitting the gate shaft and rolling up so the switch is getting (momentarily) opened again. If this is what's happening, to fix it you can either (or both) adjust the switch, or clamp down the top guide of the wireform ramp.

#1226 3 years ago

Glad you got it, GPS .

Hoping that soimetime, someday, I will have a CV back in my collection. I miss that game somethin' fierce.

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

May I ask why you got rid of it?

I had two - the first one I had while in Colorado. I sold it when I started my career and had to move to Atlanta. Once I got to Atlanta, I got my second. (Both were Sample games, as well, and the second one was a beta-tester for v2.0H.) I don't remember why, but I had to sell that one as well. Both these games I had back when CV prices were cheap-as-fuck- $2k, $3k.

Quoted from GPS:

What is happening is the first ball locks ok but when the second ball locks the game will very quickly indicate the switch is closed but then it goes open.

The gate pin will have play. And it's needed. But since the roller switches is a collector-fix (and not an official WMS fix), it's possible that the switches need to be aligned more, or the lock gate coil assembly's position need to be adjusted some, or there's still some vertical play lifting the balls off the switches.
In reality, I would focus on adjusting the switch/switch arms.

#1232 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Thank you for getting back. I can confirm that there are no issues with the balls not activating the switches due to the balls being lifted. That is fine. It is due to horizontal position. Maybe I am going to have to take it apart again and go back to regular switches as they would seem to have more ability to be adjusted to accommodate this situation. I’ll look at the solenoid and the pin and see if there is anything I can do there. Not too much adjustability to the micro switches

I'm theory you don't need a lot of play. Potentially, loosening both screws and the just pushing the switch body forward and then rerighten it..

#1242 3 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

An eddy switch uses eddy currents to detect changes in the magnetic field. When your pinball rolls in front of the ringmaster, it make this switch close. It’s a small sensor that’s under the playfield, since it works with current and fields, it’s not visible to the player. Neat design.

Quoted from GPS:

Could the unreg 12 v fuse blowing have anything to do with this?

It could, but likely isn't - likely it just needs to be adjusted. If you search this thread for Eddy Sensor, you'll come across a lot of posts about it and how to adjust it, etc.

#1248 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

I’m sorry to report that I am not sure how to search a thread.

At the top of the page theres a small area that says "Find In Topic".

Quoted from GPS:

I do think this is the auto sensing kind coyote which if that is the case probably need a new board?

That is the auto-adjusting board, per the small 8-pin IC with the label on it.

I'm going from old, old memory here, but cutting and resetting power to the board (i.e. turning the game off and on) should cause the board to readjust itself.

#1257 3 years ago

Pinballs are cheap, and you should always have extras stored away. Yes, you do NOT want them magnetized.

#1261 3 years ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Anyone have a lead on the scrolls ?
Cv back in the collection after selling one last year . It’s pretty nice but missing the scrolls .
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice custom blue neon!

3 months later
#1350 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballCoug:

Rules question regarding Spot Marvel for ya. This can be awarded as a Side Show award, but I'm seeing it being awarded during gameplay making me think there is a second method of award.
All the rule sheets I've read only mention the Side Show. I am running the home ROM so maybe it was added in there? I want to say it pops up perhaps after hitting a ballyhoo target but can't be certain.

Spot Marvel (the insert) is lit by the right inlane. It's a timed shot - shooting up the Highwire Ramp will spot a marvel. (Not a random marvel, there is a pattern.) Side Show never awards a 'Spot Marvel', but it does light it's own 'Sideshow' marvel.

Completing Ringmaster Razz will permanently light the 'Spot Marvel' for one shot up the highwire ramp. (No timer on it, unlike the inlane.)

#1352 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Completing Ringmaster Razz will permanently light the 'Spot Marvel' for one shot up the highwire ramp. (No timer on it, unlike the inlane.)

Quoted from PinballCoug:

The experience that drove the original question was related to a game callout and DMD display that Spot Marvel was lit and it stays on until the ramp is hit. While I had the glass off I did some testing and after the Menagerie marvel is obtained, an additional 10 Managerie hits will light Spot Marvel which stays on until obtained.

Yup! You're right! While I was writing that up I got the Light Marvel confused with the Extra Ball. After Razz, Extra Ball is lit, not the Light Marvel.

3 weeks later
#1365 3 years ago
Quoted from Norcal:

I have check all switches and everything is good.. keep in mind that the ball is no where near the sideshow it’s lane or anything to do with side show. It’s just starting the side show it pauses then reboots. Other games I have owned they would just shut down and reboot from bridge rectifier issues with the voltage.. looking at these boards I don’t see any on there. Any help would be greatly appreciated tyia

Sounds like the 'sideshow' is a red herring - very possible voltage is dropping, causing the game to 'see' switches close, before the machine reboots. Or, switch matrix issue and Slam Tilt is getting ghosted closed, causing the game to reset.

1 month later
#1465 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Nope: the prototypes and samples had the problem. Not the general release with fat head.

No, actually, Stebel is correct -
Originally, the post was not needed, because the head was smaller. The ball, if ending up behind the target, could roll down around between the target and the RM head.

HOWEVER< the small Ringmaster head had an issue where it could 'catch' a ball as he was dropping below the PF, and have the ball drop into the cabinet. To fix that, which was done near the end of the Sample run, they enlarged the RM head. However, this now caused a ball trap behind the target. So, the maintenance kit released by WMS had operators install the post there.

#1475 3 years ago
Quoted from Kare9:

The same problem with the fathead can happen with the proto head.

Which 'problem'? Ball getting caught, or pulled into the cabinet?
If the former - yes, only if your RM head isn't straight. (Rotated, or the spring in bent.) In which case, straighten it back out, center the head. If the latter - I'm sure it can, though I've never seen it.

Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Can you share a picture of the skinny head? Curious how it looks!

Here's a few shots of mine. Sadly, the one that was signed by two of the designers was trashed.

pbh3cZQ (resized).jpgpbh3cZQ (resized).jpg
gKsYyAM (resized).jpggKsYyAM (resized).jpg
rn6c03m (resized).jpgrn6c03m (resized).jpg
xLWhR9A (resized).jpgxLWhR9A (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1538 3 years ago
Quoted from Santis:

MRS need a magnet to get activated . Ball is not magnetic. Maybe the smaller can work. If someone does it please keep me posted. Thank you

The reed switches' magnetivity is affected by the ball's steel. Ball over the MRS causes the switch to close and override the magnetic poliartiy keeping the reed together.

#1542 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Moved and now I’m having a $&$&& of a time getting the lock switches adjusted so they don’t prevent the balls from leaving the high wire ramp.

Check that the TOP of the wireform - that hangs OVER the balls - is not lifted up, and is as low as it can be to blow any vertical movement in balls.

On my two sample CV's I had, I used a pair of large pliers (protected by towels) to squish the top of the wireform down. Once I did that, no issues at all. With original switches, too.

3 months later
#1616 2 years ago

From factory, that's how it was. 3 animals.

Prototype games had a 'game' there, more skill required, but as far as I remember, had nothing to do with the animals on that spinning disk thing..

1 year later
#1892 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There are adjustments for Neon On and Neon Off time, try adjusting / disabling those. I've personally never messed with them so I'm not 100% sure of how they affect the neon in attract mode.

Quoted from PinballGalore:

Can the led tube replacement for the neon do the same, as far as turning on and off during attract mode/gameplay? I have one installed (ordered from pps by mistake thinking it was the real deal - my fault) and it just stays constantly . Is there something faulty or is this how they're supposed to be. Will probably order a neon in the next couple of days but wondering if I have a problem or not.

For clear tubes, and (heaven-forbid) LED replacement, you can set both to 0.

They're for argon coated tubes, to help make sure the argon stays heated, to avoid 'cold spots' from forming (cold-spots = dimmer or uneven light output from the tube). In home use, even with phosphor glasses, they can be set to 0.

6 months later
#2043 11 months ago

Curious - Does anyone have a Mirco CV repro playfield? If som can you send me a close-up-ish image of the Juggler Inserts? (1, 2, 3, 'Ready')

#2045 11 months ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

I can take a good Pic tonight!

Would be fantastically appreciated, thanks.

#2047 11 months ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

These images ok?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

AWESOME! You rock, thank you!

#2051 11 months ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Marco had this pf at Allentown. I can only assume it was a mirco production.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting, thanks! I had one person tell me that one of the two at Allentown (apparently, Marco had a couple or more?) was IPB repro. Though, it would make sense they were both Mirco, since IPB repros likely woulda ended up at PPS.

#2053 11 months ago
Quoted from Stebel:

I have a pink version IPB playfield in my CV if you need pics of those juggler inserts.

If you don't mind, sure! You can PM them if folks don't want the thread flooded with pictures.

Friend bought one of those from Allentown, and asked for my thoughts on it - when I had my CV, no repros were available, so I admit that I have no direct experience telling the two apart. It's definitely a repro, just now am curious if there are any tells to tell them apart. Heh.

4 months later
#2090 7 months ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

What could be the issue on hand? Power supply or neon tube itself?

One end of the tube (... the dark end) is not getting power. Your wires became disconnected somewhere.

There is no polarity - two wires out of the transformer, one wire to either end of the tube.

1 month later
#2105 5 months ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

i am trying to figure out a similar issue to the one you guys were talking about a few month back... i get those half trough kicker hit on my CV and can't figure out what is causing it... i went through most of the usual steps, i don't have trough board or 7 opto board on hands but i reflow and cleaned them... check other switches, diodes, etc...
Any other known source for those half kick?

Does it happen while it's trying to serve a ball, or is a ball already out (in shooter lane, or playing)?
There is a programmed 'soft fire' of the trough kicker, when the Trough Eject (sw 31) is blocked. A failing opto, or an actual ball stuck there can cause the game to do this soft fire to try and dislodge the ball.
Usually only happens while a ball is in play. If it's happening when it's actually trying to kick the ball into the shooter lane for your game to start, that's different.

#2107 5 months ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

during game play, when i complete WOW and the ring master grab and keep the ball before it raises up. that's the only time it does that soft kick in the trough. i am running v1.4 right now, i'll try 1.3 and 2.0H to see if it is software.
Mabe some weird interference when the magnet is pulsing hard that is also triggering the trough? Or dropping voltage to some opto and make it flake? not really sure what is going on... everything looks good during switch test but i cant reproduce the in play magnet grab action during sw test.

Aaah - that will be darned difficult to track down, yeah, since there's no test where you can run the magnet/motor and look at switch inputs. Since it's an opto, it's not being affected by a bad diode this way, so perhaps vibrations, light interference (LED flashers maybe?)..

#2112 5 months ago
Quoted from roscoepinball:

New to the club. Just bought a HEP restored CV. It's got LEDs in it. but they are DIM. Really dim. Any advice on what to check why every light in this is so dim? Playfield, inserts, backbox, everything.
[quoted image][quoted image]

1. Measure your outlet voltage. If it's less than 110v, check that your line-voltage plug at the transformer has a 105v plug in it.
2. Replace the LEDs, they're just normally that way.

#2117 5 months ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Comet 2 smd Frosted are what I would use. Warms or cools depends on how authentic you want them to look.
If it were mine I would just go all warm GI,inserts everything.
Would grab both the LED OCD boards while you are there.

I would get frosted for GI, but clear for inserts - you want that pinpoint of light from the LED to catch in the insert's pattern. But yeah, warm or sunlight white (cool white would make the game look too blue), and double-yes on GI and LED OCD boards.

#2122 5 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I would like to throw my two cents in, there is a French guy that did a restoration on circus Voltaire, his lighting scheme was so amazing that I copied his idea. I’m so glad that I did, it looks incredible. You can still do the LEDOCD stuff and do, of course anything that you want. But his machine was so stunning that I couldn’t resist.

Sorry - far, FAR too 'blue' for me. It hides all the greens, reds and yellows. Heh.

2 weeks later
#2143 5 months ago

On both of my Sample CV's, back in the early-mid 00s, I had the original version of that plastic protector. I loved it, and never had an issue with jumping balls. It also weakened the magnet a little (metal vs plastic), which on my game helped the ball be throw a little crazier.

#2158 4 months ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

I don’t see it why there’s such a “need” for supporting someone like him.

Sadly, right now he's the only source for a repro playfield. Not that it makes it any better, mind you. If Buthamburg made a CV playfield, I'd buy at least two.

2 weeks later
#2169 4 months ago

Check the continuity of the wire. Do NOT check for voltage!!! It is VERY high voltage there!

#2171 4 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I did, I checked continuity back to the transformer. I did not check voltage, because I was worried about that.

Then you need a new neon, it'd degassed.

1 month later
#2197 3 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Local neon shop was able to recreate the bulb. Since I was at it, I went ahead and had a few colors made.
Blue
[quoted image]
Turqoise
[quoted image]
Violet
[quoted image]
Green
[quoted image]

Well done!! I'm happy that someone was able to get them done in my absence!

1 month later
#2214 38 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

Is the game spossed to have coulored GI?

It was not shipped with colored GI.

2 weeks later
#2223 22 days ago
Quoted from cyber-greg:

Hello everyone.
I have a problem on a Circus Voltaire at the level of Mister Loyal. when he goes up and down, his nose touches the playfield, I don't see any adjustment to adjust the centering of the head in relation to the hole. an idea?
THANKS

Take him out and bend his neck spring back, so he's not leaning forward so much.

2 weeks later
#2236 3 days ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

The angry (skinny head) ringmaster head is known for periodically being a ball trap as the ball will at times get hung up on the collar area of the ringmaster.

No.

The skinny RM head had the potential to catch a ball as he was lowering into the playfield, and pull the ball down with him, dropping it INTO the cabinet (thereby taking the ball out of the game). During sample games, the head was enlarged to the final version to stop this from happening.
However, after production games hit the street, it was discovered that the final head was too large for the ball to escape from behind the Bally-Hoo target to the left of him. So, they released the technical bulletin, which included a post and told operators to drill and install this post behind the bally-hoo target, to stop balls from rolling back and getting stuck.

In a home environment, the skinny head is not much of an issue, and if you like it, I recommend using it - I think I could count on one hand the # of times he actually dropped the ball into the cabinet during the years I owned my CVs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Boards
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-circus-cv-club-for-owners-fans?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.