20240119_155346 (resized).jpg
IMG_0414 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231223_114934 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20231218_101708 (resized).jpg
There are 2,229 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 45.
#1 10 years ago

Well, I could not find one so here it is.....the Circus Voltaire club!

I recently got this great game and would love to hear from other admirers of this wonderful piece of kinetic art.

I gave this a middling review at first, having only played it on Pinball Arcade (groan! - I know). But, when I saw the game in person at a friend's house I was blown away. It is easily one of the most beautiful games out there. I understand the colors may be polarizing to some, but I think it is gorgeous. Also has the coolest looking, teardrop inserts ever and with LEDs, its got the WOW factor. Not a fan of the scrolls but to each his own....I thought the game had terrible outlanes (like on PA) but it does not and the captive ball on the PF actually helps keep the ball IN play.

But my favorite part of the pin is the gameplay. I love the Ringmaster (is it a guy, is it a girl?) and it is very satisfying to slip one down his gullet. On the hat trick mode, you can shoot multiple balls down his throat and it is easy to aim at the Ringmaster. I like games that have multiple modes that progress towards a wizard mode and of course, CV has an excellent one in having to achieve several steps to join the circus. And the shots feel good to me, the left ramp, the tough right orbit shot, the Side Show. The only problem I have is that many of my Ringmaster shots go airborne and up and over, sometimes getting out of play. Anyone else have this experience?

Obviously, John Pop is a creative genius with TOM, TOTAN and CV.

What an experience - "Welcome to the Side Show!"

#2 10 years ago

Just got mine last week and finally joined the club. I think it's one of the most beautiful games out there. Regarding air balls; yes! I had that happen when I first got the game. The Ringmaster assembly needs to be flush with the play field. There is good instruction in the manual about this, but the lid of his hat needs to be perfectly flush, otherwise it will ski jump and launch balls up and over him. Once I adjusted this, it hasn't happened again.

I have a few tweaks left to do to my game, but it's playing 100% and looking great!

Green neon over here and a yellow menagerie ball

Marc

#3 10 years ago

Okay, I will give that a try! Thanks Marc. Did you just manually adjust it with your hands or open it up? Tighten it?

#4 10 years ago

It's one of two games I regretted selling the most (the other was Super Mario Bros). Traded my Spiderman last year for a near mint CV. I really wish more games had the DMD mounted lower on the playfield like CV

#5 10 years ago

It is also important to adjust the height of the boom balloon bumper. Sometimes the adjustment screw can loosen up and cause the bumper to sit too low which in turn causes air balls.

#6 10 years ago

Max - it is REALLY hard to believe they did not make any more inset DMDs. It must be more expensive - it clearly better for the player to see it while playing. Of course, I hear Pop is using one for Magic Girl.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Okay, I will give that a try! Thanks Marc. Did you just manually adjust it with your hands or open it up? Tighten it?

There is a set screw at the bottom of the mechanism, under the PF. It's easy to adjust. You loosen four screws that allow it to move around and then set the height properly. It's well documented in the manual. Should take you only a few minutes.

Marc

#8 10 years ago

I have had one for a couple of years and added a chrome door, mirror blades and leds including some purple GI's and that really added to the wow factor. Also get a chrome deskbell and replace that plastic junk one in the backbox.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

added a chrome door, mirror blades and leds including some purple GI's and that really added to the wow factor.

Lets see some pics

I love seeing how people color LED their games

#10 10 years ago

I'm in the club. Prototype model. Looking forward to seeing some LED pics. I've been thinking about getting one of the complete kits (the ones that were 20% off after Thanksgiving)

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

I'm in the club. Prototype model. Looking forward to seeing some LED pics. I've been thinking about getting one of the complete kits (the ones that were 20% off after Thanksgiving)

Kits are not the way to go....great for using as a guide, but you should always hand pick your colors

#12 10 years ago

I don't know about led kits but this is one of my favorite under-cab kits. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=fsr3teGOB8c

#13 10 years ago

Pinballbulbs led and light strips kit

image-122.jpgimage-122.jpg

image-206.jpgimage-206.jpg
#14 10 years ago

Thats the one I was thinking of, it looks awesome!

#15 10 years ago

Mine s/b here in about a week. From Atlanta to Canada, NAVL has been good(if slow) of late, so I'm 99% sure it'll be in one piece on arrival.

#16 10 years ago

Congrats Volk! Hey I'm in Atlanta. Who did you buy it from if you don't mind me asking...you are going to love it for sure.

#17 10 years ago

I should take the glass off but I'm lazy tonight....working too damn hard.

image-662.jpgimage-662.jpg
#18 10 years ago

Had mine for 3 years , the perfect machine as far as art and gameplay . Mine was on location so not perfect, but who cares?

#19 10 years ago

I'll check in as a charter member--still have the CV I bought NIB back in '98. Really like the home ROM too.

Some tips and Qs:

I added some colored bulbs to mine--prefer the mellow look of incandescents. This includes some red GI to match a few red plastics, blue under the slingshots, and alternating purple and green for the 9 marvel inserts above the flippers. You can get lots of colored bulbs cheap at pinball life!

Put a plastic protector over the skillshot target plastic (under the center ramp). It WILL break.

Take a few minutes and tweak the horseshoe around the RM. I adjusted the lane guides so that neither slow nor fast shots will result in a SDTM drain. Also tweak the right orbit guide so the returning ball just misses the slingshot. Make the pops sensitive y adjusting the contact switches. These little things really make this game flow.

As mentioned above, make sure the RM top plate is flush with the pf. Buy some spare top plates and decals. They get beat up. Also make sure the boom balloon plastic top is perfectly flush with the pf. There's a screw at the bottom of the bracket (below the pf) to adjust overall height . Adjust this so the lower edge of the plastic is flush. Then adjust the screw holding the upper edge of the plastic down. It should have a small o-ring below it so this upper edge can be raised or lowered.

Some people replace the clear 'bell' disk in the backbox with a real metal bell. You can also get spare menagerie balls in different colors for variety. They're cheap!

Strategy-wise, it's best to AVOID the acrobat ramp and not complete the acrobat marvel. This way, you can defeat 4 ringmasters and then play the lucrative RM Battle mode. Stacking MBs is easy too. You can try to hit 2 non-locking center ramp shots before lighting all locks, so that the high wire and strike an arc MBs start together. And get the RM up before starting any other MB so you can stack the RM MB with it. Once you start a RM MB, you can't start another MB until the RM MB ends, so no stacking that way. It's advisable to stack a MB (juggler, high wire) with the RM Special MB. Otherwise, you have to score several hits on the RM for Special to get the RM up. If started during another MB, the RM Special starts with the RM all the way up.

Oh yeah. And I have JPOP's original proto 'rules' card in my apron.

#20 10 years ago

Steven P - you win! Great job, I nominate you for Prez of this fine club.

#21 10 years ago

Oh and I have the laser mod in back left corner in green and pink that really fits with this game.

image-399.jpgimage-399.jpg
#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Steven P - you win! Great job, I nominate you for Prez of this fine club.

I don't want to be prez--just rattling off some thoughts I've gathered over the years...

(And for $2100, how could one resist a NIB CV? )

#23 10 years ago

Just had an amazing 58 million point game after adjusting and lubricating the ringmaster. If he is loud or otherwise not going up smoothly, it's time to lube the mechanisms and tracks. Can't believe how much better it is now.

Plastic protectors are on the way, along with a new skill
Shot plastic as mine is indeed broken

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I'll check in as a charter member--still have the CV I bought NIB back in '98. Really like the home ROM too.
Some tips and Qs:
I added some colored bulbs to mine--prefer the mellow look of incandescents. This includes some red GI to match a few red plastics, blue under the slingshots, and alternating purple and green for the 9 marvel inserts above the flippers. You can get lots of colored bulbs cheap at pinball life!
Put a plastic protector over the skillshot target plastic (under the center ramp). It WILL break.
Take a few minutes and tweak the horseshoe around the RM. I adjusted the lane guides so that neither slow nor fast shots will result in a SDTM drain. Also tweak the right orbit guide so the returning ball just misses the slingshot. Make the pops sensitive y adjusting the contact switches. These little things really make this game flow.
As mentioned above, make sure the RM top plate is flush with the pf. Buy some spare top plates and decals. They get beat up. Also make sure the boom balloon plastic top is perfectly flush with the pf. There's a screw at the bottom of the bracket (below the pf) to adjust overall height . Adjust this so the lower edge of the plastic is flush. Then adjust the screw holding the upper edge of the plastic down. It should have a small o-ring below it so this upper edge can be raised or lowered.
Some people replace the clear 'bell' disk in the backbox with a real metal bell. You can also get spare menagerie balls in different colors for variety. They're cheap!
Strategy-wise, it's best to AVOID the acrobat ramp and not complete the acrobat marvel. This way, you can defeat 4 ringmasters and then play the lucrative RM Battle mode. Stacking MBs is easy too. You can try to hit 2 non-locking center ramp shots before lighting all locks, so that the high wire and strike an arc MBs start together. And get the RM up before starting any other MB so you can stack the RM MB with it. Once you start a RM MB, you can't start another MB until the RM MB ends, so no stacking that way. It's advisable to stack a MB (juggler, high wire) with the RM Special MB. Otherwise, you have to score several hits on the RM for Special to get the RM up. If started during another MB, the RM Special starts with the RM all the way up.
Oh yeah. And I have JPOP's original proto 'rules' card in my apron.

How do you adjust the horseshoe? A slow shot around the back of the RM will go STDM. I would love to fix this! Maybe send some pics if you have them.

Marc

Marc

#25 10 years ago

This pin is like a femme fatale.

It looks breath taking but once you fall in the trap and push start you get fucked in the ass by numerous unfair drains.

The playfield is a collection of ballhating features with 2 vacuumcleaners on each side.

Never liked her, cant resist to play again and again and again....

#26 10 years ago

I consider STDM from botched u-turn shots to be part of the game. I don't have my tilt super tight in CV and I can usually recover from it. Most of my drains are in the right outlane.

I also have a lot of trouble if I don't make it up the high wire ramp, but that's my own fault.

I'm rocking the HC rom in mine, because I couldn't stand the "FREE ONLY" - I don't like being told what to do with my own machine. I wish it also had an option to turn off copy cat, though...

#27 10 years ago

My CV all leds in backboxIMG_0076.JPGIMG_0076.JPG and chrome door
IMG_0074.JPGIMG_0074.JPGIMG_0079.JPGIMG_0079.JPG the neighbors beside

#28 10 years ago

What is the furthest step any ones gotten to?

#29 10 years ago

To adjust the horseshoe, just bend the end of the ball guide slightly, inward or outward. You can gently/carefully lever it with a thin screwdriver, grab it with needlenose pliers, etc. I really prefer NOT having unsaveable SDTM drains on a legit shot! It's good to tweak the orbit exit as well. When the ball comes down the orbit, it should not hit the slingshot, but run along the front of it to the flipper with little or no contact. That's how the games are designed.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

To adjust the horseshoe, just bend the end of the ball guide slightly, inward or outward. You can gently/carefully lever it with a thin screwdriver, grab it with needlenose pliers, etc. I really prefer NOT having unsaveable SDTM drains on a legit shot! It's good to tweak the orbit exit as well. When the ball comes down the orbit, it should not hit the slingshot, but run along the front of it to the flipper with little or no contact. That's how the games are designed.

Are you guys nudging? The flippers on the machine are close enough that you can nudge a flipper into the path of the STDM drain and flail the ball out of the drain. CV is very forgiving compared to a CFTBL or FT.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

you get fucked in the ass by numerous unfair drains.

I've never thought that harshly about my CV

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I've never thought that harshly about my CV

Nor have I. In fact, mine is extremely forgiving and the outlanes are not a problem at all.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Congrats Volk! Hey I'm in Atlanta. Who did you buy it from if you don't mind me asking...you are going to love it for sure.

Picked up the one Jeffspinballpalace had for sale on here, has the artwork matching coin door w/o slots.

#34 10 years ago

Congrats man. That coin door is awesome!! I saw it in his ad. Wish I could find one.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

There is a set screw at the bottom of the mechanism, under the PF. It's easy to adjust. You loosen four screws that allow it to move around and then set the height properly. It's well documented in the manual. Should take you only a few minutes.
Marc

So, took your advice, tightened up the screw, now works great. Even balances the ball for a few extra seconds. Thanks!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

So, took your advice, tightened up the screw, now works great. Even balances the ball for a few extra seconds. Thanks!

Awesome!

#37 10 years ago

it's still my favorite game. Don't own one anymore But I will once I have the space again.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Any chance you can share some pics? I'd love to see how you have your setup.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Congrats man. That coin door is awesome!! I saw it in his ad. Wish I could find one.

When I purchased this CV the original coin door and shooter rod got damaged in shipping so when I replaced those I went for the Chrome and the flashing shooter rod. That chrome door is relatively expensive from Pinball decals.
I also have a LOTR and I put a Brass door on it.

6 months later
#40 9 years ago

new cirqus in home! looks like my trouble and 95% not working!
but i will restore it like new!! and built a lot of mods and crazy topper!
someone know where is the neon transformer?!
thanks

20140902_220953.jpg20140902_220953.jpg 20140902_200429.jpg20140902_200429.jpg
#41 9 years ago

Transformer is in the rear of the plastic housing for the neon ramp, to the right of the DMD. I had to replace mine.

Lots of voltage in that!

Interested to see what you come up with.

#42 9 years ago

Such a beautiful machine!
Congrats to all you owners

#43 9 years ago

"DO YOUR WORST!"...still is my favorite insult.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Oh and I have the laser mod in back left corner in green and pink that really fits with this game.

image-399.jpg 102 KB

What is the laser mod?

#45 9 years ago

I have a lot of missing and broken parts on my cv. Who can help me please? Or maybe send me pics or speak on skype? I will give him new mods or 50% off from my new cv crazy tooper (coming soon)
Thanks

#46 9 years ago

Love my CV!

#47 9 years ago

i have a lot of missing parts. who can tell me which? and the ball is prototype! hahahahahahahahhahaahh

20140904_012401.jpg20140904_012401.jpg
20140904_012354.jpg20140904_012354.jpg
20140904_012342.jpg20140904_012342.jpg
20140904_012337.jpg20140904_012337.jpg
20140904_012333.jpg20140904_012333.jpg
20140904_012328.jpg20140904_012328.jpg
20140904_012321.jpg20140904_012321.jpg
20140904_012316.jpg20140904_012316.jpg
20140904_012311.jpg20140904_012311.jpg
20140904_012307.jpg20140904_012307.jpg
20140904_012303.jpg20140904_012303.jpg
20140904_012249.jpg20140904_012249.jpg

#48 9 years ago

Dbuam88, who did you buy your CV from, someone local?

I sold mine back in 2007, big mistake, and wondered if is was the one I had. I can't think of who bought it, buy it was someone from the Atlanta area.

#49 9 years ago

Mine had a purple neon, when I sold it. I just saw your photos, so it most likely wasn't the same one, unless the neon was changed.

#50 9 years ago

I got mine a couple years ago. Undocumented HUO, and the price was right. $6700 hand delivered to my home! My favorite quote is still "You'd be cranky too, if you had a spring for a neck".

2012_0707CV0012.JPG2012_0707CV0012.JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,229 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-circus-cv-club-for-owners-fans?hl=globalcop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.