Topic Stats

• 703 posts
  • 134 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 221 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1161 (resized).jpg
IMG_1147 (resized).jpg
IMG_1154 (resized).jpg
IMG_1148 (resized).jpg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpg
20180422_212819 (resized).jpg
20180422_195618 (resized).jpg
CV parts (resized).JPG
CV Boards (resized).jpg
02D00DB8-B4C5-416D-891B-B25B2C2D398C (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
D8F9982C-CFE8-4E42-A626-6042EE72A996 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
DSC09958 (resized).JPG
IMAG0429 (resized).jpg
IMAG0430 (resized).jpg
20180117_221843 (resized).jpg
20180115_184521 (resized).jpg

There are 703 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.
#601 7 months ago

Hello there, fellow Cirqus Voltaire owners and fans!

Last week, I was making video recordings for a new 'How the hell do you play...' video on my Ballen van Staal Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuaEkZ_Fe9-SZV5ZDjPUiew).

During one of the takes, pretty much by accident, I had a very good game on my Cirqus Voltaire. I figured I'd make a separate video containing just that one game, so people can see what the Cirqus Voltaire pinball machine is all about.

For those that can appreciate a nice gameplay video, here it is. The camera angle in this video is quite low, which makes for a nice and clear view of the gameplay. Enjoy!

#602 7 months ago

#603 7 months ago

Happy Thanksgiving to the CV owners . I’m thankful for owning a CV, and having a random machine screw show up on my play field yesterday. Look at this picture. I swear I have torn this machine down at least three times and I’ve Never seen a philips head machine screw like this.

Screw fairy got me!

996C6E35-5512-4E9D-86C2-71484E9C1EC8 (resized).jpeg

#604 7 months ago

hitchhiker from a stern.

#605 7 months ago

I think there’s a screw like this on the plastic around the ringmaster - I think it’s on the left side.

I was able to figure out why the highwire dropped the balls one at a time at the beginning of HW multiball. The 2nd switch was holding the 2nd and 3rd balls briefly. So I bent the switch a bit to let the ball roll freely so the the switch wasn’t registering. After numerous iterations I got it working right.

#606 7 months ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I think there’s a screw like this on the plastic around the ringmaster - I think it’s on the left side.
I was able to figure out why the highwire dropped the balls one at a time at the beginning of HW multiball. The 2nd switch was holding the 2nd and 3rd balls briefly. So I bent the switch a bit to let the ball roll freely so the the switch wasn’t registering. After numerous iterations I got it working right.

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about the screws on the back of the ringmaster! Thanks!! Hopefully I didn’t lose the nut too.

Glad you got your high wire working. That is such a pain, but once it is good it’s awesome.

#607 7 months ago

Do we have any talented CV owners with 3D printers?
Is it feasible to recreate the Orbit Pinball ringmaster protector in nylon on a printer?

#608 7 months ago
Quoted from Sethman:

Is it feasible to recreate the Orbit Pinball ringmaster protector in nylon on a printer?

I would certainly be in for that!

#609 7 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Happy Thanksgiving to the CV owners . I’m thankful for owning a CV, and having a random machine screw show up on my play field yesterday. Look at this picture. I swear I have torn this machine down at least three times and I’ve Never seen a philips head machine screw like this.
Screw fairy got me!

Ha Ha. I found that same screw on my playfield one day. I found the nut down inside the short subway in that area. Must be a common issue for it to work loose.

3 weeks later
#610 7 months ago

Alright any of you guys experience any issues with the F103 fuse that runs solenoids 1-8. It’s a 4amp fuse but I am tempted to increase to a 5amp. This fuse controls the magnet at the top of the ramp and just like my lord of rings I up the fuse and now don’t have any issues with it blowing. Any thoughts?

#611 7 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright any of you guys experience any issues with the F103 fuse that runs solenoids 1-8. It’s a 4amp fuse but I am tempted to increase to a 5amp. This fuse controls the magnet at the top of the ramp and just like my lord of rings I up the fuse and now don’t have any issues with it blowing. Any thoughts?

In my experience, the only reason that fuses blow is because something is touching something else. Even if it takes a while, something is touching...I always find it. I don't know if I would personally put 5amps through something rated for 4amps. The wire can "probably" handle it, but you never know. Some of that wire is really small, and the extra amp will build up a lot of heat.

#612 7 months ago

Yeah sometimes those magnets like on my Lord of the rings blow those fuses pretty easy.

I’ve read online about changing those fuses to regular size slow blow fuses instead of those little GA fuses and that works too.

#613 7 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah sometimes those magnets like on my Lord of the rings blow those fuses pretty easy.
I’ve read online about changing those fuses to regular size slow blow fuses instead of those little GA fuses and that works too.

My magnets on CV were blowing GI fuses all of the time. Finally I found a micro sized hole in a wire shield that was touching a screw (when the machine would shake). Sure enough, I fixed that wire and it never happened again.

My friend has a TOM machine that had really similar problems. It took me about two weeks on and off, but I found where some wires had rubbed off their shielding ever so slightly. A tiny bit of electrical tape later, zero issues.

Those are my experiences with magnets. It certainly seems the amp draw of the mags can flesh out little problems a lot more than other components. I wish there was some easy way to detect the exact location of wire shorts :/.

#614 6 months ago

My swap/restore is done! New playfield cleared by Ron Kruzman, new plastics, posts, rubber, regrained all the metal, new rails by taylorva, new pops, basically I replaced nearly everything on top, cleaned anything I couldn’t replace (ramps were new last year). Came out great!

My favorite game, well worth the effort, did a ton of pre-planning and got the swap done in less than a week. I love vacations from work when I can just work all day. Probably 50 hours start to finish.

With the new playfield, the game is fast and much, much harder than it was before. It’s a brutal beauty that’s as much fun to play as it is to look at.

Marc

9C80D7F0-B50A-43B8-B493-6731260318AC (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#615 6 months ago
Quoted from mschonbrun:

My swap/restore is done! New playfield cleared by Ron Kruzman, new plastics, posts, rubber, regrained all the metal, new rails by taylorva, new pops, basically I replaced nearly everything on top, cleaned anything I couldn’t replace (ramps were new last year). Came out great!
My favorite game, well worth the effort, did a ton of pre-planning and got the swap done in less than a week. I love vacations from work when I can just work all day. Probably 50 hours start to finish.
With the new playfield, the game is fast and much, much harder than it was before. It’s a brutal beauty that’s as much fun to play as it is to look at.
Marc

Looks fantastic!

#616 6 months ago

Does anyone have a blue or purple neon they would be willing to sell me? I would even accept a bluish purple neon .

#617 6 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Looks fantastic!

Thank you!

#618 6 months ago

So what’s the difference between all the different neon lights? Are some earlier production runs? Which color is more common? Just curious thanks!

#619 6 months ago

The neon color and the color of the menagerie ball were random off the ass'y line.

#620 6 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

So what’s the difference between all the different neon lights? Are some earlier production runs? Which color is more common? Just curious thanks!

As far as I know, colors were completely random coming out of the factory. I don't know how much they made of each color. (Would guess that noone knows of-hand. Would need to check purchase records or talk to the neon shop that originally made them.)

There's two types of neon tubes used in the game - true Neon gas tubes (orange-red when on, *clear* when off) and Argon gas tubes (Blue, White, Green, Purple with the game, other colors can be done custom - these appear white or colored when off).

There are some games out there with custom tubes - back between '03 and '08, I had custom tubes made to order. Had a lot of neat colors go out the door. I don't know how many are left out there now.

#621 6 months ago

Yeah, the neon color is the one thing I don't like on my game :/. Mine is the factory red, and clear when turned off. For whatever reason, I just don't care for the look of it. If I had a chance to swap it, I would jump on it. I even have another neon ramp which is empty and waiting so that I could replace the whole thing.

#622 6 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

As far as I know, colors were completely random coming out of the factory. I don't know how much they made of each color. (Would guess that noone knows of-hand. Would need to check purchase records or talk to the neon shop that originally made them.)
There's two types of neon tubes used in the game - true Neon gas tubes (orange-red when on, *clear* when off) and Argon gas tubes (Blue, White, Green, Purple with the game, other colors can be done custom - these appear white or colored when off).
There are some games out there with custom tubes - back between '03 and '08, I had custom tubes made to order. Had a lot of neat colors go out the door. I don't know how many are left out there now.

I had a red neon tube that I bought from Rick in 2014; I believe it is one of yours. It replaced a green factory argon tube. I swapped out the transformer in 2015 when I replaced all of the ramps. I love the red tube; that game is so pretty.

#623 6 months ago
Quoted from Sethman:

Contact Galactimus-He may have some info on these

#624 6 months ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

Sign me up if it happens

#625 6 months ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

I msg'd him. Never heard back.

#626 6 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Does anyone have a blue or purple neon they would be willing to sell me? I would even accept a bluish purple neon .

Hi. Have you seen a guide (ideally video) on how to swap the neon?

#627 6 months ago

Hello all. I'm a proud CV owner! Such a beautiful funky fun machine. Pleased to be among such fine people of quality and taste

Also if any one can help i have a tech issue ive recieved no support on yet: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-hiss-buzz-hum-issue#post-4168649

Thanks And have fun besting the ringmaster!

#628 6 months ago
Quoted from BallyWilliams:

There’s not a lot to it:

1. Remove the Neon ramp from the game
2. Drill out and remove the rivets that hold the ramp together

The neon tube has wires that protrude on both sides and are just hand twisted together.

#629 6 months ago

I'm looking to join the club if anyone knows of a means for membership in the Madison/Chicago area!

#630 6 months ago

Quoted from mschonbrun:

There’s not a lot to it:
The neon tube has wires that protrude on both sides and are just hand twisted together.

Just do NOT DO THIS with the game on! That is VERY high voltage!

#631 6 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Just do NOT DO THIS with the game on! That is VERY high voltage!

Hopefully the take the neon ramp out of the game would cover that, but, yes....

#632 6 months ago
Quoted from mschonbrun:

There’s not a lot to it:

I second mschonbrun's instruction, and agree with coyote only do this while the game is running at full steam and you're dripping wet .

#633 6 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I second mschonbrun's instruction, and agree with coyote only do this while the game is running at full steam and you're dripping wet .

I think that might ignite the boom balloon

#634 6 months ago

The juggler will not be OK with this

#635 6 months ago
Quoted from mschonbrun:

There’s not a lot to it:

Thanks For that.

That's alot for a beginner. I'm spending my time sorting damage so to drill out stuff will be a first haha

Out of curiosity are you aware of a video tutorial or decent visual guides on this job?

#636 6 months ago

Thanks For that.
That's alot for a beginner. I'm spending my time sorting damage so to drill out stuff will be a first haha
Out of curiosity are you aware of a video tutorial or decent visual guides on this job?

If you happen to have a blue or purple neon, I'll do everything for you . Granted, my fix will result in a red neon .

#637 6 months ago

Thanks For that.

I don’t since the work was done long ago. If you need help, just ask, not clear what would be helpful to you.

Marc

#638 6 months ago

Thanks For that.

I find a drill press is much easier to use than a hand drill. Basically just find a bit that’s about the size of the tub on the rivet. When you flip the ramp over look at the flange that’s created when the rivet was pressed, the tube should be a little larger than the dimple that’s created from pressing. Position the bit so that it’s in the center of the dimple. I would use cutting oil too to save your bit. You usually want your drill to operate at a lower speed. Keep a good handle on the ramp to since the bit can catch on the rivet and the torque from the drill can spin the whole ramp around. You’re really just trying to drill out the flange not the whole rivet. Go slowly, wear gloves and eye protection. You should be fine. It’s more tedious than difficult. Also, you’ll need to get some hardware to replace the rivets so you can put it all back together. Unless you want to press new rivets to make it look stock. I really wish they would have used screws in the first place.

#639 6 months ago

I used small machine screws on my ramp. I have even seen people use white zip ties neatly trimmed. Either way, it’s not a ramp you need to often open up.

#640 6 months ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-mods#post-4174186

For anyone interested. I'm in the process of making long life , high impact CV menagerie balls in various colours. I've solve many of the former issues with this mod but this is still only a prototype.

Love to have CV owner feedback. The video doesn't do it justice but gives an idea.

First ever mod but it works haha (for now).

Thanks

#641 6 months ago

Can someone tell me of the neon has already been swapped ? I've taken photos as it looks like someone has had a right mess around and not replace with the same bolts etc.

Is this due to them swapping out the neon already ?

Because of so id love to swap it to green or multicolured but didnt want to drill my machine haha

CollageMaker_20180114_183421778 (resized).jpg

#642 6 months ago

It has been opened, possibly to replace the transformer or the neon. Hard to tell. But it has been opened; the factory didn’t do that.

#643 6 months ago

The original has rivets. It's best to use small bolts with lock nuts when replacing the neon.

#644 6 months ago
Quoted from mschonbrun:

It has been opened, possibly to replace the transformer or the neon. Hard to tell. But it has been opened; the factory didn’t do that.

Oh great , thanks !

so I can swap it out easily if necessary.

I need to get new nuts and bolts and washers for most stuff as former owners seem to have anything goes attitude but when I go to do work I have to have 8 types of tool for a 1 tool job haha

#645 6 months ago

I'd just like to show off my own custom mod red back box bell. It's a high quality metal bell which I've made red and attatched using my own system though I was inspired by the awesome Namsan. This is the 2nd original revamp mod I've tried And I'll blog on it. The other is the long life high impact 2 tier gameplay menagerie ball. I'm impressed with myself haha

20180115_184521 (resized).jpg

#646 6 months ago

Stripped the top side, cleaned a few times over, waxed 4 times, tumble polishing or hand-polishing all steel. That took almost 5 months on the calendar (not much time to work on this...kids...).

Finally ready for re-assembly, with all new flipper mechs, new coils, new sleeves, new rubbers, new bumper parts, etc! Good thing I took oodles of photos--my memory isn't nearly good enough to remember how to put it all back together! =O

-Jason

20180117_221843 (resized).jpg

#647 5 months ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Stripped the top side, cleaned a few times over, waxed 4 times, tumble polishing or hand-polishing all steel. That took almost 5 months on the calendar (not much time to work on this...kids...).
Finally ready for re-assembly, with all new flipper mechs, new coils, new sleeves, new rubbers, new bumper parts, etc! Good thing I took oodles of photos--my memory isn't nearly good enough to remember how to put it all back together! =O
-Jason

Let me know if you forget something …last time I took mine apart, I documented every screw and washer, also the order of removal.

#648 5 months ago

Is there a list of mods and vendors around for cv ?

#649 5 months ago

Hi everyone some beautiful machines in this club. Today was a really exciting day for me as I put down the money for my Cirqus Voltaire. This is an absolute grail pin for me and I cant think of any other machine I'd rather own more than CV. Cant wait to get it in my flat! Its been on location in a small coffee shop in London so needs quite a bit of work doing but still a great machine.

IMAG0430 (resized).jpg

IMAG0429 (resized).jpg

#650 5 months ago
Quoted from JReedie:

Hi everyone some beautiful machines in this club. Today was a really exciting day for me as I put down the money for my Cirqus Voltaire. This is an absolute grail pin for me and I cant think of any other machine I'd rather own more than CV. Cant wait to get it in my flat! Its been on location in a small coffee shop in London so needs quite a bit of work doing but still a great machine.

Congrats! It is such a great game. I just had a party and it dominated in terms of interest.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
There are 703 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside