IMG_6203 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6202 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6060 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6066 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6067 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6073 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6078 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6082 (resized).JPEG
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago

LTG bump

1 month later
#52 7 years ago

Any progress with the controlled lamps?

1 week later
#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Any progress with the controlled lamps?

I did the work to map them out, and have prepared some of the wiring. I stopped as I don't have a router, and after looking into the skills needed (and measuring that against my complete lack of woodworking ability), things ground to a halt. Working on a couple of restorations at the moment, possibly come back to this after those are complete.

#54 7 years ago

Someone with a cnc router get this guy a playfield cut!

6 months later
#56 7 years ago

I wish this game was made available or planetary build this instead of AFMr

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

+1

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

+1

Hope to see KPr someday...

#59 7 years ago

My money is ready for KPr

6 months later
#60 6 years ago

Let there be light!

20170930_064811 (resized).jpg20170930_064811 (resized).jpg

#61 6 years ago

20171001_171250 (resized).jpg20171001_171250 (resized).jpg

#62 6 years ago

Excellent work, I missed this thread initially. Thanks for uploading the video of your whitewood, looks like a great game with lots of flow and some great sounds,voice and dots. Fingers cross this gets built sometime soon and made available to order. Good luck with your build.

#63 6 years ago

Thanks 73 it is a very fun game, really looking forward to playing it again with lamps as there are some really good effects in this game

#64 6 years ago

Are you considering doing a playfield overlay? I;ve seen NOS playfields over the years. It shouldn't be too hard to get the art for an overlay. It would be awesome to play this with the artwork installed.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Are you considering doing a playfield overlay? I;ve seen NOS playfields over the years. It shouldn't be too hard to get the art for an overlay. It would be awesome to play this with the artwork installed.

The issue is obtaining a quality scan. Can't see one of the 8 owners stripping down their playfield for that!

#66 6 years ago

The Visual Pinball guys that emulated the table sometime ago had a nice clear scan. If was lower resolution since the table doesn't need it at 300dpi, but maybe they have something pretty good for you to use. I could see if something exists for you if you like.

Quoted from vegemite_nick:

The issue is obtaining a quality scan. Can't see one of the 8 owners stripping down their playfield for that!

#67 6 years ago

The Visual Pinball guys that emulated the table sometime ago had a nice clear scan. If was lower resolution since the table doesn't need it at 300dpi, but maybe they have something pretty good for you to use. I could see if something exists for you if you like.

I ripped the artwork from the VP files. The playfield artwork isn't high enough dpi for using. However, it is full, so it would be good to print one out just to help make sure hole line up, and it could be vectorized by someone.

#68 6 years ago

Where did you get the ramps? Or did you make them? If you made them, you have some seriously good ramp making
skills !!!

#69 6 years ago

Did you pull the higher res artwork from the VPX table? I think that's the highest one available. kingpin 080715a.vpx

Quoted from mjenison:

I ripped the artwork from the VP files. The playfield artwork isn't high enough dpi for using. However, it is full, so it would be good to print one out just to help make sure hole line up, and it could be vectorized by someone.

#70 6 years ago

Mark Ritchie had one NOS playfield. No idea where it is now.

LTG : )

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Where did you get the ramps? Or did you make them? If you made them, you have some seriously good ramp making
skills !!!

One of the hardest things to sort were the ramps. The left ramp begins with a unique entry, and when I went through my collection of old bits and pieces, found a Data East Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles ramp, part of which seemed to fit the purpose perfectly, with little modification.

However, the right ramp was another story. I scoured the web looking for similar ramps, and found a lot of candidates, but as I analyzed each one, found issues with radius points etc. Playing MM while still trying to solve this one, I realised that its right ramp was exactly correct for about half its length, and that happened to combine from that point almost perfectly with the other bit of the TMNT ramp. I obtained an old MM ramp, and with some special glue from my mate who has a plastics factory, the Medieval Teenage Mutant Ramp (c) was born!

#72 6 years ago

Did you pull the higher res artwork from the VPX table? I think that's the highest one available. kingpin 080715a.vpx

I actually used the lamp map from the punmame game for some of placement and etc. I do have a pretty decent option for artwork which I think will work.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Mark Ritchie had one NOS playfield. No idea where it is now.
LTG : )

I remember someone selling one many years ago, would love to have had the forsight to have bought that way back then.

#74 6 years ago

Nick, great job with the project! I hope when my project goes from talk/dreaming to reality I keep with the same dedication.

#75 6 years ago

Once I get my new computer up and running, I'll need a good side project. Vectoring the Kingpin playfield would be fun. I don't have VP, anybody care to send me a high res JPG or something?

#76 6 years ago

20171013_221925 (resized).jpg20171013_221925 (resized).jpg

#78 6 years ago

Matrix B complete, all working

https://vimeo.com/239183069

#79 6 years ago

Nice!!!!

#80 6 years ago

No kidding. This thing is so cool.

2 weeks later
#81 6 years ago

The level of un-obtanium oozing from this thread makes it that more... un-obtanium.

2 months later
#82 6 years ago

Congrat for your work. Were you aware of this another project? Seems serious.

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-happy-new-year-two-huge-new-themes-revealed-plus-kingpin/

#83 6 years ago

Cant wait to heard more about this later this year by Maximus

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Congrat for your work. Were you aware of this another project? Seems serious.
http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-happy-new-year-two-huge-new-themes-revealed-plus-kingpin/

Yes, very much aware, and that is most definitely the moveable ramp area on KP.

I have been meaning to post a video of gameplay on mine, but wanted to update it to show the pop bumpers working - the attached vid was before I realised that I have reinstalled the top gates the wrong way, so the ball rarely made the pops. I will do a new one at some point.

#85 6 years ago

Wow impressive.
Are you using lcd + P3 ROC like the other one too?

I'm also working on a P-ROC project but so much work you have done for this... crazy

Thanks for the video. Seems great. Is is a Kingpin raw soft or a 2.0?

#86 6 years ago

See post 11. Nick is not using P3-ROC he's using the original hardware/MPU in an airborne cab.

Quoted from noitbe1:

Wow impressive.
Are you using lcd + P3 ROC like the other one too?
I'm also working on a P-ROC project but so much work you have done for this... crazy
Thanks for the video. Seems great. Is is a Kingpin raw soft or a 2.0?

#87 6 years ago

Hey Nick
Your KP is coming along great! Impressive work. Wish that you were nearby.
Wally

#88 6 years ago

See post 11. Nick is not using P3-ROC he's using the original hardware/MPU in an airborne cab.

That's right, it's the plain ROM from IPDB, otherwise the hardware other than the playfield is 100% Airborne.

Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey Nick
Your KP is coming along great! Impressive work. Wish that you were nearby.
Wally

Thanks Wally!

4 months later
#89 5 years ago

Translite No. 143

Looking the part now!

#90 5 years ago

Translite No. 143
Looking the part now!

I recognize that translite. Glad it made it to Australia!

Paul

#91 5 years ago

Translite No. 143
Looking the part now!
» YouTube video

Nice work. Would be great if you could bring it to Pinfest in Newcastle in Sept.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

I recognize that translite. Glad it made it to Australia!
Paul

Thanks Paul

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Nice work. Would be great if you could bring it to Pinfest in Newcastle in Sept.

A bit too far for me. Real ones will be here soon enough.

3 years later
#94 2 years ago

Thank you for your inspiration !
Encouraged by this thread I started my own KingPin project and will give a sneak preview soon.

As vegemite_nick´project, my project is also in no connection to other projects. Just a rebuild for my own ....

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Encouraged by this thread I started my own KingPin project and will give a sneak preview soon.
As vegemite_nick´project, my project is also in no connection to other projects. Just a rebuild for my own ....

Can't wait to see some more Tom!

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

You’re the man! Can’t wait to see it as well.

1 month later
#97 2 years ago

You want it ... you got it ...

First there was an idea, inspired by Nick.
All we had was ap picture of a KP playfield. For a first reference this was printed out.

IMG_9594 (resized).jpgIMG_9594 (resized).jpg

Starting from the scratch would be not possible at all, trust my, I have experience.
So I bought a Breakshot as a good start. Bad thing : It has other pcb´s but I have all needet boards in stock.
Bad surprise afterwards, after renovating the cabinett I figured out: It will not fit due BS has no ramps, etc tha cabinett is "too flat".

IMG_9594 (resized).jpgIMG_9594 (resized).jpgIMG_9593 (resized).jpgIMG_9593 (resized).jpgIMG_9700 (resized).jpgIMG_9700 (resized).jpgIMG_0084 (resized).JPEGIMG_0084 (resized).JPEG

next surprise:
The BS has a general illumination directly powered by the transformer and less coils as other capcoms. therefor several pwers were missing. Too bad also 2 x 50 Volt were missing so I added a second transformer for 2 x 50 Volt. Problem solved.

IMG_0060 (resized).JPEGIMG_0060 (resized).JPEG

So for the beginning I had a cabinett, the modified ROMs to fit 4 x 512Kbyte , power on and ..... KP alive.
As DMD I use a Pin2DMD due it works with just 12 Volts instead the high power of normal DMD.
Now it was time for my friend C. from Austria. He is a talented and hard working hobby-artist with AI. He spend over 300 hours to bring the pictures of the playfield to a file that is usable for: Milling all needet levels, drilling and printing.
Meanwhile I got familiar with the schematics and all available sources about KP.

... to be continued ...

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

You want it ... you got it ...
First there was an idea, inspired by Nick.
All we had was ap picture of a KP playfield. For a first reference this was printed out.
[quoted image]
Starting from the scratch would be not possible at all, trust my, I have experience.
So I bought a Breakshot as a good start. Bad thing : It has other pcb´s but I have all needet boards in stock.
Bad surprise afterwards, after renovating the cabinett I figured out: It will not fit due BS has no ramps, etc tha cabinett is "too flat".
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
next surprise:
The BS has a general illumination directly powered by the transformer and less coils as other capcoms. therefor several pwers were missing. Too bad also 2 x 50 Volt were missing so I added a second transformer for 2 x 50 Volt. Problem solved.
[quoted image]
So for the beginning I had a cabinett, the modified ROMs to fit 4 x 512Kbyte , power on and ..... KP alive.
As DMD I use a Pin2DMD due it works with just 12 Volts instead the high power of normal DMD.
Now it was time for my friend C. from Austria. He is a talented and hard working hobby-artist with AI. He spend over 300 hours to bring the pictures of the playfield to a file that is usable for: Milling all needet levels, drilling and printing.
Meanwhile I got familiar with the schematics and all available sources about KP.
... to be continued ...

Fantastic...

#99 2 years ago

Next big step was the playfield ....
So we had a picture of the playfield, my friend from Austria made a AI version. Good to have. So I bought from a "source" original wood as used in pinball machines. Looked all over the world for inserts and got them nearly all. 2 Inserts were made out of opak plexiglas: the powermeter and the big guys head.
Meanwhile we made several proto prints from the playfield on PET-G to have an overview. This short story, told in some sentences was work for some month.
The result is a CNC milled proto white plastic (easier to drill) , several printouts and a CNC milled playfield wood.
Inserts were glued in and a print was done. printed 1 layer white for all areas and a colored layer on top.

IMG_1241 (resized).JPEGIMG_1241 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1557 (resized).JPEGIMG_1557 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1221 (resized).JPEGIMG_1221 (resized).JPEG

As this is the first try we had a little difference in the 2 print layers, we call it "Blitzer". However .. it looks great ! So professional clearcoat was brought on.

Meanwhile I worked on the metal rails and some pcb´s with help of some great german pinheads. First try for the powermeter was a pcb with LED´s , but ... you can guess ... Capcom without a OCD-board do not like any LEDs . So a second version was designed with regular bulbs. A pcb for the 7 lamps on the way to the HotelLex was designed and also some simple 2-lamp-pcbs due KP needs several of them. At least more than I had in stock.
Remember, everything was made out of pictures !

IMG_9890 (resized).JPEGIMG_9890 (resized).JPEG
First sketches from the ramp.

6767e087-b8c4-4e06-946f-d4db0c91ab04 (resized).jpg6767e087-b8c4-4e06-946f-d4db0c91ab04 (resized).jpg
wireforms measured on the playfield printout and from pictures

IMG_0262 (resized).JPEGIMG_0262 (resized).JPEG
First try LEDs .. does not work ...

IMG_1190 (resized).JPEGIMG_1190 (resized).JPEG
Second try with bulbs .. works fantastics and fits

Enough for the moment ...

#100 2 years ago

I have to say that i do prefer my Capcom with bulbs so maybe it’s a sign that it will work better with it.
It seems like you’re pretty advanced and overcame challenges: I can’t wait for the next steps. Quiet a quest !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-big-city-kid/page/2?hl=kratogen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.