IMG_6203 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6202 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6060 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6066 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6067 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6073 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6078 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6082 (resized).JPEG

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Thought I'd share a project I was fooling around with a while back.

Unfortunately, there are no documents for this game anywhere, no manual, no schematics, nothing. So I used a combination of photos and references to other games from this manufacturer to recreate a playfield plan and redesign mechanism placements, and manufacture some unique parts.

One thing I was not sure about was the shooter lane, but I decided on a technique. Initially a "v" groove was cut in undersize, then using a 3/4 inch dowel wrapped in course through to fine sandpaper, the shooter groove shaped. The whole thing took about half an hour and the result was pretty good.

shooter_sanding_(resized).jpgshooter_sanding_(resized).jpg
shooter_finished_(resized).jpgshooter_finished_(resized).jpg
playfield_top_early_(resized).JPGplayfield_top_early_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

The most time consuming thing was making the wiring loom. perhaps the playfield and mechanisms took longer, but they were a number of separate projects to work through, whereas the loom had to be made completely from scratch, tested and tagged so I would not lose track of where they were going and have to re-trace things.

I guess it might have been possible to buy the 50 or so different colour coded wires I needed, but I ended using up some stuff I had from some donor games, which meant I couldn't rely on a colour-coding system as there would be a number of doubles, so lots of labels to help keep things organised.

switch_loom_wiring_guide_(resized).JPGswitch_loom_wiring_guide_(resized).JPG

switch_loom_(resized).JPGswitch_loom_(resized).JPG

switch_wiring_(resized).JPGswitch_wiring_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago

Loaded in and ready to go

finished_bottom_(resized).jpgfinished_bottom_(resized).jpg

finished_top_(resized).jpgfinished_top_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

Would be easier if PPS would just remake Kingpin. This is the ONLY remake I would buy. The theme, dots and sound are all top notch. Awesome game!

#6 8 years ago

Killer project. Mark Ritchie pins kick ass and you made it from scratch!

#7 8 years ago

Dude that thing plays better than most new pins! Beautiful and really well made.

Are you running the original code? Emulated or original hardware?

I predict you are about to receive more Pinside Mail messages than you have ever dreamed of!

#8 8 years ago

Nick

I've been keeping this secret as you asked me to. Told no one even though I've been busting to... Thank you for relieving me of that burden.

How cool is this people? Making a King Pin from scratch?? I wish I had the talent and know how.

Best wishes on completing this magnificent game. I will follow with great interest.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from vegemite_nick:

Unfortunately, there are no documents for this game anywhere, no manual, no schematics,

Contact Mark Ritchie.

LTG : )

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Killer project. Mark Ritchie pins kick ass and you made it from scratch!

Thanks mate!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from BadBrick:

Dude that thing plays better than most new pins! Beautiful and really well made.
Are you running the original code? Emulated or original hardware?
I predict you are about to receive more Pinside Mail messages than you have ever dreamed of!

All original, sitting in my Airborne cabinet

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Contact Mark Ritchie.

Thanks Lloyd, I have had a few conversations with Mark, but that was after I had it running.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Nick
I've been keeping this secret as you asked me to. Told no one even though I've been busting to... Thank you for relieving me of that burden.
How cool is this people? Making a King Pin from scratch?? I wish I had the talent and know how.
Best wishes on completing this magnificent game. I will follow with great interest.

Thanks Kim! Not sure how much further I will take it. I cannot get the Slot Machine to work without some reference pictures of the opto interruptions, and I don't know anyone with the game take ask for some pictures. It has been fun, and if anything, has shown me that this is a game that ought to be made. The playfield layout is fantastic, really one of my favorites. The outer loops are very fast, and the right inner entry to the pops difficult but rewarding. The long shot (and I *love* long shots) to the slot machine is terrific, not as easy as it seems. The positioning of the drop targets, which when I was making it left me wondering how effective, are actually spot on.

And those ramps - I don't have a game that comes close to the satisfaction these long cross overs provide. The entries are close, and again I wondered about their effectiveness, but they are beautifully positioned.

I have all the Capcoms other than Breakshot (not one I like a lot, nice player just not interested in the theme) including of course the IPB BBB, and even with a half completed whitewood without lamps, I can see this would have been the best player to come out of Capcom.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Contact Mark Ritchie.

Ps - thanks for the shop out pics Lloyd. They were very useful! ; http://www.ssbilliards.com/KingPin/index.html

#15 8 years ago

Now THAT is some amazing work! Good luck with all of the rest of it.

Love your take on the shooter lane groove. It looks perfect. I did one on a machine I built with a 1" ball router bit and a simple ramp/guide.

Shawn

#16 8 years ago

Great work on this!

#17 8 years ago

Man, I've played nearly every rare pin there is, but I've never even SEEN a Kingpin in real life! That's an awesome project you've got!

#18 8 years ago

Thanks guys.

Next phase was to be the lamps. So keen to see the "Raid" change of GI to red from white. But Capcom controlled every lamp, so the amount of spagetti has me thinking about what it was like to work out the 50 switches and 20 high power devices. That's 70 or so. There are over 120 controlled lamps....yikes!

spagetti_(resized).jpgspagetti_(resized).jpg

#19 8 years ago

Beautiful project, I'm impressed that you were able to track down the parts and fabricate what you have. I hope someone will step out and share photos and measurements of the missing pieces you need.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Beautiful project, I'm impressed that you were able to track down the parts and fabricate what you have. I hope someone will step out and share photos and measurements of the missing pieces you need.

Thanks for that. It's actually only one thing I need to complete the top playfield. For the Slot Machine, the software counts nine or ten interruptions, one of which will be a little different in length. That one signals the "start" position, form which each reel position is then calibrated and counted.

You can see on the pic below a shot from a real game that shows the standard interruptions. Around the curve will be one that is longer or shorter. You can see from the other pic that I did try!! But while I could get it to start counting I could never guess that "trigger" point length.

_DSC0159-X3_(resized).jpg_DSC0159-X3_(resized).jpg

20160222_092357_(resized).jpg20160222_092357_(resized).jpg

#21 8 years ago

An emulated version was recently released for VP10(updated from previous versions). Perhaps you can make some inference with the values provided in the emulation of the slot machine. Maybe not but if this can help:

Looks like the motor is solenoid 12
Switch 9 when activated Starts reels spinning
At resting switch 52 is active
When spinning switch 52 is inactive
every 40 spins switch 52 is activated and one of the 9 awards is shown:

Case 0:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'goods
Case 39:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 40:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'sevens
Case 79:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 80:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'gangsters
Case 119:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 120:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'bars
Case 159:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 160:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'power
Case 199:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 200:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'guns
Case 239:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 240:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'crazy cash
Case 279:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 280:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'cherries
Case 319:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 320:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'money
Case 359:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 360:SlotPos = 0

Thanks for that. It's actually only one thing I need to complete the top playfield. For the Slot Machine, the software counts nine or ten interruptions, one of which will be a little different in length. That one signals the "start" position, form which each reel position is then calibrated and counted.
You can see on the pic below a shot from a real game that shows the standard interruptions. Around the curve will be one that is longer or shorter. You can see from the other pic that I did try!! But while I could get it to start counting I could never guess that "trigger" point length.
/blockquote>

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

An emulated version was recently released for VP10(updated from previous versions). Perhaps you can make some inference with the values provided in the emulation of the slot machine. Maybe not but if this can help:
Looks like the motor is solenoid 12
Switch 9 when activated Starts reels spinning
At resting switch 52 is active
When spinning switch 52 is inactive
every 40 spins switch 52 is activated and one of the 9 awards is shown:
Case 0:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'goods
Case 39:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 40:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'sevens
Case 79:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 80:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'gangsters
Case 119:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 120:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'bars
Case 159:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 160:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'power
Case 199:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 200:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'guns
Case 239:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 240:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'crazy cash
Case 279:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 280:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'cherries
Case 319:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 320:Controller.Switch(52)=1 'money
Case 359:Controller.Switch(52)=0
Case 360:SlotPos = 0

Thanks for that luvthatapex2. I *think* that the emulated version is simply using that last repeated zero position to establish the start point. In the game, I think it has to be a different length opto signal.

#23 8 years ago

Thanks for that luvthatapex2. I *think* that the emulated version is simply using that last repeated zero position to establish the start point. In the game, I think it has to be a different length opto signal.

Very cool project, Nick! If you haven't already, you might try getting ahold of programmer Bill Pfuztenreuter to see if he can help you with anything. Pfutz helped me out with a couple strange issues many years ago when I still had a couple Capcoms. He's a great guy. I can dig up his email address on my old computer if you want it. Good luck with the game!

#24 8 years ago

Goddam, this is some incredible shit!! Feeling more and more stupid when I see people doing this kind of work. I'll drown my stupidity in a beer as I toast your work. Well done!

#25 8 years ago

Hey Nick
Looks really sweet! Nice, nice job. Well done. Enjoyed the video a lot. You are a very talented and gifted guy. If I'm ever in Melbourne, I'd like to check it out.
Congratulations.
Wally

#26 8 years ago

saw this a while back, excellent work Nick and blows me away that you cracked the programme where IPB couldn't, well done

now it would be cool if this could be built as is worthy of a remake instead of remake of AFM etc

#27 8 years ago

God damn this is impressive!

#28 8 years ago

Thanks guys!

#29 8 years ago

Having had one of the original kingpin at my home for a while, I can tell you there's bugs in the code.. One off the top of my head is the game keeps giving u balls after u lose the third ball and never ends lol

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Having had one of the original kingpin at my home for a while, I can tell you there's bugs in the code.. One off the top of my head is the game keeps giving u balls after u lose the third ball and never ends lol

You must have had a different ROM or some other issue. I played this right through to the wizard mode (didn't complete it, almost impossible without lamps directing you where the treasure is). There *are* bugs of various natures, but that one certainly is not one of them. It definitely does need tweaking but nothing serious.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Very cool project, Nick! If you haven't already, you might try getting ahold of programmer Bill Pfuztenreuter to see if he can help you with anything. Pfutz helped me out with a couple strange issues many years ago when I still had a couple Capcoms. He's a great guy. I can dig up his email address on my old computer if you want it. Good luck with the game!

Thanks for that, if you could dig that address up I'd sure give it a go!

#32 8 years ago

Very nice project!!!

The goods stuff is, that Capcom uses a lot of parts (assemblies, lamp boards, etc.) in each game they made. So a lot of parts are interchangeable.

Of course, the ones which are different are challenging.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from PinBertl:

Very nice project!!!
The goods stuff is, that Capcom uses a lot of parts (assemblies, lamp boards, etc.) in each game they made. So a lot of parts are interchangeable.
Of course, the ones which are different are challenging.

An example of the former is the mechanism that lifts the ramp for ball lock. It is the same as was used in Airborne.

An example of the latter is the mechanism that collects the balls that are locked, and then shoots them into play from under the playfield. That was a really difficult one. I came up with an idea that I thought might work using a ball trough. It works very effectively, but I still have no idea how the original works! I made it out of a Stern ball trough, cut in half, and one part reversed.

20150121_203706_(resized).jpeg20150121_203706_(resized).jpeg

20150121_203803_(resized).jpeg20150121_203803_(resized).jpeg

20141226_095136_(resized).jpg20141226_095136_(resized).jpg

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from PinBertl:

A lot of the same design ended up in Sega pins too. Another source to look for.

LTG : )™

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A lot of the same design ended up in Sega pins too. Another source to look for.
LTG : )™

Interestingly quite a bit of a Striker Extreme (first game branded Stern after Sega, so still Sega bits) ended up in this!!

#37 8 years ago

I have to say... Out of all the possible remakes plaintary pinball could do... This is the title over any Wms I would love to see

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I have to say... Out of all the possible remakes plaintary pinball could do... This is the title over any Wms I would love to see

It really is screaming out to be made.

#39 8 years ago

All original, sitting in my Airborne cabinet

So the 190 bbbr owners could burn roms, use their original boards and drop in populated king play fields

#40 8 years ago

I wonder what happened to the people gene was supposedly paying to crack the capcom code issue for a remake with out the kill pill boards

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I wonder what happened to the people gene was supposedly paying to crack the capcom code issue for a remake with out the kill pill boards

He never paid them

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

So the 190 bbbr owners could burn roms, use their original boards and drop in populated king play fields

Prefer BBB as they were only made once after the protos, but yes they could with minor adjustments as could any PM or Airborne owner.

#43 8 years ago

Look great,really nice job!

#44 8 years ago

so is your plan to only make a swappable playfield for airborne, or attempt to produce these? Unless you can crack the capcom boards, I'd imagine you're going to have to emulate it. Nice job, whitewood from photos.. Crazy!

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

so is your plan to only make a swappable playfield for airborne, or attempt to produce these? Unless you can crack the capcom boards, I'd imagine you're going to have to emulate it. Nice job, whitewood from photos.. Crazy!

The plan was only ever to make the one to see if it was doable. Hopefully the pros will step up and make it happen for real! All I ask is a spot in the queue!! (encouraging another pin-preorder, and ducks for cover).

1 week later
#46 8 years ago

Cool project, I will bookmark this thread

2 weeks later
#47 8 years ago

Thanks for that, if you could dig that address up I'd sure give it a go!

Finally found it. PM sent....

#48 8 years ago

Wow mate, truly impressive work!

This is the first time I've seen this thread. I'll definitely be watching it from here on out!

I've played Kingpin a number of times and it is an outright blast to play and I agree that it's absolutely begging to be remade.

One question: Have you been able to replicate the "dying" flippers?

Just curious if that was in the code to control the flipper solenoids or was more of a mechanical thing.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Finally found it. PM sent....

Got it - thanks!

Quoted from Miguel351:

Wow mate, truly impressive work!
This is the first time I've seen this thread. I'll definitely be watching it from here on out!
I've played Kingpin a number of times and it is an outright blast to play and I agree that it's absolutely begging to be remade.
One question: Have you been able to replicate the "dying" flippers?
Just curious if that was in the code to control the flipper solenoids or was more of a mechanical thing.

Thanks! The weakening flippers is entirely code based. Capcom have always had the ability to control flipper strength from the software, this just makes use of that.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

if PPS would just remake Kingpin.

Quoted from swinks:

it would be cool if this could be built as is worthy of a remake

Quoted from lllvjr:

Out of all the possible remakes plaintary pinball could do... This is the title

It really is screaming out to be made.

Hear hear!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
€ 10.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts
Shooter rods
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-big-city-kid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.