Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by ssathre
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bender.jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

robin said:This decision was made to keep the page cleaner and to keep post boxes smaller. Very often, people post only one line of text, but due to the location and collection count etc the box would be stretched out resulting in a lot of white space.
    While I understand the reasoning behind the change, I think easily being able to see a person's location trumps almost everything else. The question is, where can you put the information without increasing the size of the text box? I was going to suggest moving the "Topics and posts" link to the quick profile page, but I don't think there is enough room for the location to fit there. The only other spot I can think of would be in the little area at the top of the post to the left of the posting time. Again, this is less than ideal.

Same, would like to see locations. To me the "pinhead" or "moderator" could be eliminated entirely and that would free up space. You can make mods a different color or something if you need to show that. And I would trade "topics and posts" for collection stats.

#102 12 years ago

Brilliant job man...have been poking around the new site for a few days and now love it even more

#103 12 years ago

The new site is awesome. I only have one gripe, and that is while the old site didn't play nice with older browsers, this one is even worse. They have us using Internet Exploder 7 at work and they won't upgrade, nor can I get permission to install anything better.

#104 12 years ago
    Quoted from rdonohue13:

The Quick Profile tab doesnt seem to work for me. Also if I click on someones Avatar it scrolls me to the top of the page.

What browser + version are you using?

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

The new site is awesome. I only have one gripe, and that is while the old site didn't play nice with older browsers, this one is even worse. They have us using Internet Exploder 7 at work and they won't upgrade, nor can I get permission to install anything better.

I feel your pain! I really do. But with a web team of exactly one person it is just not doable for the Pinside to be compatible with 4 different browsers, mobile and then also older versions of IE. Especial the latter! IE is notorious for extremely bad support of web standards in all versions before 9. Let's hope more and more companies will start upgrading their medieval installs of IE.

You could also ask/try/see if you can install Chrome Frame in your Internet Explorer 6, 7 or 8.
    http://code.google.com/chrome/chromeframe/

Again, I'm truly sorry! Maybe the "coming soon" mobile version of the site/forum will ease your pains at work?

#105 12 years ago

Been a away for a week or so... I come back... and WOW. Nice improvements, Robin! Remember, I'm a "web guy" too, so I know what went into making this happen. Good stuff and great work! You're amazing! I wish you were on my web development team!

#106 12 years ago

Another vote for having location upfront and Topics & Posts on the Quick Profile page. I find it helpful to be able to quickly see where someone is from.

#107 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I find it helpful to be able to quickly see where someone is from.

+1. Something about I like about knowing people's locations. All the updates are really great though. Love quick profile.

#108 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

jarjarisgod said:

Didn't it used to say location and how many pins we had in our collection next to our Avatar in the forum? I always liked that...

I miss that as well.

I miss that as well.

PS--just observed something else has changed and isn't quite as good as before IMHO (sorry, don't mean to complain; just trying to point out changes that maybe fell through the cracks):

I was trying to quote Gweempose above from the post on page two where he was quoting Jarjarisgod--but it just comes out looking weird as above. I used to be able to pull this off with a little cutting and pasting; now no matter what I try it comes out like above.

Anyway to change this back to the way it was--or tweak it to be able to quote multiples?

#109 12 years ago

Don't see it als complaining, it is constructive criticism

As for the locations, what part of the location matters guys? Just the state and a country flag could work. But I'm not sure I want to go back to the full location, as this could easily take two lines of space. I don't feel like going back to that.

As for the quoting. NM, are you saying that you miss the icon of the author of the post you're quoting? This is caused by the post you're quoting being on another page. This is a technical limitation at this moment. Update: I have just fixed this limitation! Look at the top post of this page (page 3) and it is quoting a post on page 2 including icon and link!

#110 12 years ago

Huzzah! thanks.

#111 12 years ago

Amazing work Robin! I'm gonna have to start spending more time here!

#112 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

As for the locations, what part of the location matters guys?

For someone in the US, city and state is fine in my opinion. For other countries, city and country?

When someone is asking for help, the first thing I do is check their location. I've met several people because we saw that we were close to each other and contacted one another for additional help. I'm not saying that you can't get that info the way it is set up now, but location is something I use much more than Topics & posts that is currently in the sidebar.

#113 12 years ago

I've also met some fellow Canadians strictly because I've noticed they are from my province or country or they've noticed me. Definitely a plus having that by our names...

#114 12 years ago

Thanks Robin. I appreciate the addition of EM's.

#115 12 years ago

Just my .02. Since clicking on the avatar brings up Quick Profile maybe that link isn't needed? I agree that it would be just as good to access a person's Topics & Posts through Quick Profile. That frees up two lines.

#116 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

When someone is asking for help, the first thing I do is check their location. I've met several people because we saw that we were close to each other and contacted one another for additional help. I'm not saying that you can't get that info the way it is set up now, but location is something I use much more than Topics & posts that is currently in the sidebar.

I agree on this one. I have met up with a few local pinheads in the UK this way. Just having a national flag, and possibly a State or Town/City instead of Topics & posts would be ideal. The quick profile is a great idea though.

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I feel your pain! I'm stuck with Windows XP and IE6 on my modern laptop at work due to some of the ancient software we still have to use, and IE6 really, really struggles with the new Pinside! (No pictures in the backboxes for a start, and no quick profile dropdown either). I'm looking forward to the mobile version of Pinside too, as looking up Pinside on my phone, (an old Nokia N95) is a bit of a struggle for my poor old trusty smartphone.

Having to go through the rating adjustments procedure each time I want to look at my own ratings from My Pinside is awkward as well, although I know you can bypass this by going to your own quick profile on a forum topic thread instead.

Great to see EM machines have been added. I have already added a few ratings of the ones I fondly remember. I can see that finding a backbox picture of EM games to show in your ratings list is going to be a problem for a while.

All these are minor niggles though, what a great step forward Robin. Thanks for taking the time to make the #1 pinball site even better.

#117 12 years ago

Forgive me if this was already covered in the last 150 posts. I scanned it quickly but didn't see it.

When trying to add a YouTube video to an EM title I keep getting a "Could not retrieve youtube video information." Any suggestions on what I can do differently? The link I'm copying is valid.

#118 12 years ago

Robin you rock!!! Thank you for all the SWEET updates. Happy holidays to you and your family.

#119 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

As for the quoting. NM, are you saying that you miss the icon of the author of the post you're quoting? This is caused by the post you're quoting being on another page. This is a technical limitation at this moment. Update: I have just fixed this limitation! Look at the top post of this page (page 3) and it is quoting a post on page 2 including icon and link!

Awesome; that's probably got it!

What I was trying to say was this: in the past to show two separate quotes (of a person who quoted a person), I'd quote person #1 and then cut it from the reply box. Then I'd quote person # 2 and then paste in person #1 to show them both.

When I tried to use this same system with the new Pinside all I got was the blue uni-box!

Great job on everything else; thanks!

#120 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

When someone is asking for help, the first thing I do is check their location.

Absolutely. When you are reading a thread, you need to be able to quickly identify if the person lives 10 minutes from you, or halfway around the world. Knowing this information changes how you respond. It's just not very convenient to have to click on every single person's profile to see where they live. I agree that the city and the state are essential. Throw in a flag somewhere, and it's perfect.

#121 12 years ago

I'll throw in for the "State/City" and "Province/City" idea. It can be useful info to see at a glance.

#122 12 years ago

I agree with the others that I miss the city, state location along with the # of Machines in collection also.

#123 12 years ago
    Quoted from Doot77:

I agree with the others that I miss the city, state location along with the # of Machines in collection also.

same here. I miss the location, it was nice to see if the person was a neighbor or not.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-pinside-30/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.