(Topic ID: 32503)

Weirdest experiences you had purchasing a pin?

By DayDay

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_pin_family.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 11 years ago

I responded to a TMNT on cl about 6 months ago. It was posted about 8pm on a saturday night and it was almost an hours drive from me. The ad was up for about 10 min when I responded and the guy called right back. He let me know others had responded and were willing to come asap but I was the first to respond. It was typical for CL, shit or get off the pot. I shit. Told him I was on the way. He gave me his address and I instantly knew it was is a bad part of town. Those of you familiar with my area know PG county right on the south east DC line is no place to play on a saturday night. I thought I was tough shit in my younger days and spent a lot of time there so it didnt bother me. $500 cash in my pocket on a saturday night and I was off to the ghetto. No problem though, I took everything with me I needed. Common sense, check. Gun, check. Dolly, straps, blankets, tools, check check check. My wife went with me and I had mixed feeling about it. On one side shes my wife but on the other hand she has connections and gun privileges others might not have(gov law enforcement job) ill leave it at that. We pulled up to an end-unit town house that didnt look that bad actually. We had a plan. She was to sit in the jeep with the cash, doors locked and phones on and connected so she could hear me. The townhouse was dark. Didnt look like anyone was home. I walked to the door and knocked. The door opened and there were two guys in there early 20's. Both in big puffy jackets with their hoods up. One standing behind the other with his hand in his jacket pocket. I was ready to turn tail and roll out but they seemed friendly enough. They said they were moving out and the power was off. The pin was in the basement. Damn! I walked inside by the light of lantern and proceeded to follow the first guy while hand in his pocket guy followed behind me. We walked down stairs and there it was, a TMNT in fantastic shape. Had some issues related to the batteries and lack of maintenance but no permanent damage. No wear at all and the cab looked great. SCORE! The fun factor was lacking I came to find out though. They helped me move it up stairs by the light of a lantern and helped me load it. I paid them outside and was off with no issues. Was a little nerve racking at first but thats what happens when you prejudge or make assumptions. Your usually proven wrong. I cleaned that pin up and played about 50 games on it trying to like it, that never happened. Sold it a month later for a grand.

#17 11 years ago

Another one.
I was looking at a HS on eBay in my town. The guy let me come over to look at it before I bid. There was one day left on the auction and no bids. Starting price was $350. Machine was in good but dirty shape. It didnt work, "adjustment failure"= dead batteries. I looked at the auction in his driveway before I went inside, still no bids. We talked and I convinced him to sell it to me right then for $300. I loaded it up and went home. When I took another look at the auction two hours later he had 5 bids and it was up to $700. Oh, I bet he was mad.I felt bad for a second but neither of us could have known. The bad feeling passed when I put some batteries is and it started working great. Hope none of you were bidding on that machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_pin_family.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weirdest-experiences-you-had-purchasing-a-pin?tu=the_pin_family and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.