Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WoZ Speaker Problem (resized).jpg
IMG_0486.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm having a sudden and hard to resolve sound problem with my WOZ. Game owned since 1-2013 and hasn't done this before. The voice call outs and music are suddenly sounding very strange. Sometimes you can't hear the call-louts or they cut in and out a
lot, especially during multi-ball or when there's many sounds going.

Here's what I've attempted so far:

1. Cleaned all audio cables in the cabinet, on the Pinnovators board, and ones in the backbox. That
didn't help.

2. Went through the game again very methodically and re-seated all a/v cables in the
above mentioned areas.

No change.

Suggestions?

#2 8 years ago

Call Lloyd!

#3 8 years ago

You should know.

#4 8 years ago

Never had a sound issue!

#5 8 years ago

My first thought was the audio cables. I know you said you checked them all methodically, but did that include both inside and outside the computer case? There is an individual sound card inside the computer case.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My first thought was the audio cables. I know you said you checked them all methodically, but did that include both inside and outside the computer case? There is an individual sound card inside the computer case.

Where's the sound card inside the computer case? I might have checked that, but want to make sure I did.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Where's the sound card inside the computer case? I might have checked that, but want to make sure I did.

Only board in there with RCA jacks.

LTG : )

#8 8 years ago

Page C-14 and C-15 in manual.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

Never had a sound issue!

I mean just issues. But all good now.

#10 8 years ago

Mine makes a humming sound from the speakers that gets louder and softer as the lights get brighter and weaker when the game is not being played. It seems to go away during play. I keep not getting around to calling for a ticket since it only started after I replaced the boards on warranty.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Mine makes a humming sound from the speakers that gets louder and softer as the lights get brighter and weaker when the game is not being played. It seems to go away during play. I keep not getting around to calling for a ticket since it only started after I replaced the boards on warranty.

It's the routing of the wiring that probably got moved when you replaced the battery. There is a thread on here somewhere about that and where to move the cable and big core thing to minimize it.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I made a video.

#13 8 years ago

Better call Saul...err, Lloyd.

#14 8 years ago

I have no idea why, but tonight the problem didn't develop tonight after I did really nothing new. All I did was go over the same cables including everyone I could find by observation and looking studiously over the manual again. Really these were all the same cable I had gone over and spent way too much time on yesterday.
Perhaps I have a finicky cable somewhere that's working for the moment? I'll update as I play more games especially if the issue should return. Wish I could tell you for sure what the fix turned out to be. Especially since I got a PM from another Pinsider with a similar issue.

Thanks to all who responded and hoping this won't return as I play more games.

#15 8 years ago

There has been in line filter that randomly fail. Plugs from the computer to the amp... Cheap part, replace it

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

There has been in line filter that randomly fail. Plugs from the computer to the amp... Cheap part, replace it

Is that the box looking deal? There is also one for the rear audio out? Little black box?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Is that the box looking deal? There is also one for the rear audio out? Little black box?

Yes, two of them. One in the back of the cabinet and one inside the metal box with the boards. Easy to swap them to see if an issue moves.

LTG : )™

#18 8 years ago

I got a new WOZ this weekend and it had a speaker buzzing issue. I did the steps in this video and its 99% better now (I can still hear a bit of interference at some parts of the demo-attract mode when there is no music/sound playing).

Debating if it is worth the effort or doing some more trial and error of moving the cables around to try and get more distance between the data cables and the audio cables or adding some sort of shielding or something. Has anyone tried adding some of those snap on ferrite cores to the cables to see if that helps?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Yes that's failed internally before. Last one I saw cap inside literal came off the board on one leg

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from edmorex:

Has anyone tried adding some of those snap on ferrite cores to the cables to see if that helps?

I did, without any luck. Re-routing cables worked for me as well.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I did, without any luck. Re-routing cables worked for me as well.

Interesting. I wonder if the EM field from the data cables is interfering with the audio PCB directly and not just the audio cable. Might be worth a try to place a small EM screen/fabric over the audio board to see if that helps.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I made a video. » YouTube video

Thanks for the video and very interesting and helpful!

"There has been in line filter that randomly fail. Plugs from the computer to the amp... Cheap part, replace it."

Gosh sorry for my stupidity but could someone help me understand a little more about where and what this part looks like? Maybe I'm brain dead from all the work to try and get the sound issue resolved, but right at this moment I'm confused about this.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

but could someone help me understand a little more about where and what this part looks like?

Please read my post above. It's a small black plastic box with wires.

#24 8 years ago

See the white, red, yellow RCA plugs ? behind them and a little to the right is one of the filters.

IMG_0486.jpgIMG_0486.jpg

#25 8 years ago

The key (IMO) is to keep the audio wires separated from the DC power cables. The LED power cables carry high varying currents and can easily couple into the audio cables. The data cables should not radiate as much due to the lower currents but there may be some stray LED currents on those cables.
If you hear noise in the audio and it tracks with the LED light show, reroute the audio cables until the noise is minimized.

Isolation transformer:
I have seen one case where an isolation transformer failed due to a bad solder joint. The audio would cut in and out when I wiggled one of the cables going into the isolation box. It was pretty easy to open and fix.

Finally for some older machines (2014?), make sure you check the audio cable header connector. If the sound cuts in and out when you wiggle the cable at the PC, replace the cable with a 3.5 to 3.5 mm premium cable from Monoprice #9764. The new cable plugs into the green audio connector on the back of the CPU.

On newer models, replace the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable with the same Monoprice #9764. The Monoprice cable has a slightly larger diameter barrel and makes a better connection to the green audio connector on the back of the PC board. This will solve your "callouts" issues.
Feel free to contract me with questions.
Thanks,
Mark

3 weeks later
#26 8 years ago

Unfortunately the issue of sound calls cutting out especially during multiball and when it hits the targets on TNPH has returned recently. I've reseated and cleaned cables but that hasn't help. I'm wondering now about the Filters LTG mentioned and/or audio cable header MarkA mentioned.

#27 8 years ago

There are two of the filters in the game. One inside the metal box with the boards and one on the back wall of the cabinet. Swap them and see if things change.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Unfortunately the issue of sound calls cutting out especially during multiball and when it hits the targets on TNPH has returned recently. I've reseated and cleaned cables but that hasn't help. I'm wondering now about the Filters LTG mentioned and/or audio cable header MarkA mentioned.

its the connector hot glued on the mother board

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

There are two of the filters in the game. One inside the metal box with the boards and one on the back wall of the cabinet. Swap them and see if things change.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

its the connector hot glued on the mother board

Okay found that and unless I get it really connected just right the game won't start, lights and sounds go out. It can appear to be connected with the pins inserted right but seems real hard to get it to make a good connection. But when it does make a good connection everything works and the game starts, but the sound problem I'm describing remains.

#31 8 years ago

Its the 4 pin cable on the motherboard that goes to the pinovation board from the motherbôard

Also check the rear output sound cable sometimes that gets pulled out

#32 8 years ago

"Yes, two of them. One in the back of the cabinet and one inside the metal box with the boards. Easy to swap them to see if an issue moves.
LTG : )™"

Tried switching the noise filters tonight. Unfortunately no luck there. The cutting in and out of the call outs didn't change at all.

#33 8 years ago

Do you have some spare audio cables that you can swap in? It certainly sounds like a flaky electrical connection somewhere and it would be nice to rule out the cables.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Do you have some spare audio cables that you can swap in? It certainly sounds like a flaky electrical connection somewhere and it would be nice to rule out the cables.

Thanks I'll try that today.

#35 8 years ago

Finally for some older machines (2014?), make sure you check the audio cable header connector. If the sound cuts in and out when you wiggle the cable at the PC, replace the cable with a 3.5 to 3.5 mm premium cable from Monoprice #9764. The new cable plugs into the green audio connector on the back of the CPU.

Did this and it appears the problem is fixed. I need more time and games to know for sure, but nothing else I had tried so far had been successful. When I did this and played several games, the call outs sounded perfect.

#36 8 years ago

pm sent

#37 8 years ago

So it was a 3.5mm audio cable?

#38 8 years ago

So far bypassing the audio filter worked for mine. We'll see after a few days.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

So it was a 3.5mm audio cable?

Yes,mine had come loose and when I would wiggle it with the game on during the call outs they would sound terrible. Maybe unnecessary but I cleaned a replacement one, made sure if fit tight and so far so good. It's possible the one in there didn't need to be replaced but since I had one on hand I went ahead and did that.

Thanks MarkA and everyone else who made suggestions!

5 years later
#40 3 years ago

Forgive me for bumping an old thread.

I seem to have developed this or a similar problem. I’ve checked all the external connections, but haven’t yet looked inside the PC.

However, what’s slightly different is that my call-outs are almost non-existent, and changing the mix settings has no effect. Sound effects and music are fine - and loud. Running test mode and doing a sweep I don’t hear any dead ranges, so I don’t think it’s a bad band-pass filter.

Does this sound familiar to the problem described in this thread? To me it sounded like all audio was being disrupted, or just one channel.

Thanks.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Forgive me for bumping an old thread.
I seem to have developed this or a similar problem. I’ve checked all the external connections, but haven’t yet looked inside the PC.
However, what’s slightly different is that my call-outs are almost non-existent, and changing the mix settings has no effect. Sound effects and music are fine - and loud. Running test mode and doing a sweep I don’t hear any dead ranges, so I don’t think it’s a bad band-pass filter.
Does this sound familiar to the problem described in this thread? To me it sounded like all audio was being disrupted, or just one channel.
Thanks.

Tell me what model - boards In Bottom of cabinet or in backbox ?

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Tell me what model - boards In Bottom of cabinet or in backbox ?

Bottom. If memory serves it’s a late 2014 build. 7.5v 1.1 lighting boards.

#43 3 years ago

First bypass the noise filter plugged into the pink input Jack on the sound card. If you have the one going to the back of the cabinet you can steal it and replace your primary one.

#44 3 years ago

For anyone coming across this thread later, it was the noise filter. Ironically, the second noise filter, which was likely never used, was also faulty.

2 years later
#45 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

For those who have problems like sounds fading away, dropping out or strange volume levels.

I noticed my during my games that the audio was not aways the same, then at a certain point I lost all my backbox audio, subwoofer was working fine. So I started looking and ruling things out.

- Test menu, speaker test confirmed that both L + R speaker was out
- Swapping cables at the speaker end did not change anything
- Swapping cables in the cabinet did not make a different
- I connected the SUB wire (yellow) to the left and right chanel in the cabinet. There came sound from the woofer, so the amp was fine.
- Then I attached a wire from the speaker directly to the amp, without result

So the problem had to be in the backbox speakers. I removed the 5 screws on the top and pulled the speaker bar out and started measuring.

The impedance of each speaker was fine, so I started looking at the wires. As expected there was nothing here. So I took my multi-meter en measured resistance, and that was the point where I noticed the problem. When I measured from the inside (middle) of plug back to speaker, resistance was almost 0. Then I measured the outside to the speaker and this was way off, eighter high resistance or Open Circuit.

Then I looked at the solder joints of the plug and noticed they were installed wrong. The "outer solder joint" was placed under a isolator washer and the nut was on top of that washer. This is not right, because the point of contact is only the inside of the ring and not the complete back.

When you install it, the right way would be: Washer, Wood, Washer, ring and then the nut.

So to solve this:
- Use your solder iron to remove the red cable on the middle pin.
- The your pliers and loosen the connector on the front
- Remove the connecter and change the order of the Isolater washer. Wood, Isolator washer, Ring and then the Nut
- Put everything back together and solder the red wire back

WoZ Speaker Problem (resized).jpgWoZ Speaker Problem (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 91.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-woz-sound-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.