View topic image gallery

DSC05527 (resized).JPG
DSC05526 (resized).JPG
DSC05525 (resized).JPG
DSC05524 (resized).JPG
IMG_6089 (resized).JPG
IMG_6088 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

While trying to track down one last annoying lingering issue on my Kingpin I decided to look around the front of the box a bit more and noticed that the previous owner ( so I assume) had connected and bundled this wire in the bundle that goes to the front of the cab. As you can see it is a solid red wire ( I assume this is power) connected to a white with blue and red stripe wire (which is weird in itself) I cannot find this wire connection on the schematic. The wires go down past the first Jones plug by the tilt mech then I loose track of them as they are bundled in pretty tight the rest of the way. I tried disconnecting these and obviously the game will not power on. My question is, what could this have been connected to up front of the cab , and if it never connected to anything then why is it just looped up front only to go back down to the bottom somewhere..

It just seems weird to me that this loop goes up front and back down for no reason. Also, the wax wire ties seem very tight and I dont think they were ever taken off as the bundle goes back down to the cabinet. So would anyone have any ideas?

IMG_6088 (resized).JPGIMG_6088 (resized).JPGIMG_6089 (resized).JPGIMG_6089 (resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

Does your machine take coins?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Does your machine take coins?

yes is does.. coin mechs are functional..

#4 4 years ago

Hi tscottn
some Williams pins do have the text stamped on the paper schematics (example: ipdb- Space Mission) : "Notice: Due to wire shortages beyond our control, some wire colors may be other than indicated on wiring diagram" --- not funny for us - wires in the pin may have other color than shown in the schematics ...
In the schematics of King Pin I read: "Note: Due to circumstances beyond our control it may be necessary to substitute wires of different colors." Same thing, not funny for us ...

ipdb does not have a good picture to King Pin --- but here (Pro Pool) https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1866&picno=40884&zoom=1 I see on the bottom panel to the left a weighted switch --- the so called "Bounce Switch" - it is one of the (my word) "Severe Tilt" Switches --- other may be called "Anti-Cheat-Switch" --- question: Do You have in Your pin on the bottom panel such an weighted switch ? Normally these switches are closed. Greetings Rolf

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Do You have in Your pin on the bottom panel such an weighted switch ? Normally these switches are closed. Greetings Rolf

Hi Rolf, thanks for responding. Yes my pin has the bounce switch intact and functional on the bottom board as well as the slam switch functional on the coin door. I dont think there is any switches missing or anything. Im just questioning why this wire ( with two different colors) would be looped up front and not go anywhere or two anything.. ..
And yes I have red the fine print on the schematics as well regarding the swap of different color wires.. Thanks

#6 4 years ago

OK.

Here is the deal.

The black wire going from your tilt ball switch to your tilt bob bracket does not belong. Remove it.

Those two looping wires get connected to the tilt bob bracket that the black wire is attached to.

This will bring your game back to specs.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

OK.
Here is the deal.
The black wire going from your tilt ball switch to your tilt bob bracket does not belong. Remove it.
Those two looping wires get connected to the tilt bob bracket that the black wire is attached to.
This will bring your game back to specs.

Hi Ok I made those changes however when I did that the tilt bob no longer functions... Im sure it is depicted on the schematic i just cant seem to find it..

#8 4 years ago

also the green and yellow wire you see in the first picture i have connected to the coin door as a ground which I assumed it was.. however looking at my Skyjump the green and yellow wire is connected to the tilt ball bracket.. so I made that change as well and then blew a house fuse when i made contact with the tilt bob to the bracket.. . (( So im assuming thats not correct either lol

#9 4 years ago

Green/yellow wire is the ground. I'll get you pics of my King Pin in a bit.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Green/yellow wire is the ground. I'll get you pics of my King Pin in a bit.

thank you

#11 4 years ago
DSC05524 (resized).JPGDSC05524 (resized).JPGDSC05525 (resized).JPGDSC05525 (resized).JPGDSC05526 (resized).JPGDSC05526 (resized).JPGDSC05527 (resized).JPGDSC05527 (resized).JPG
#12 4 years ago

Ok based on yourr pics I set mine up exactly the same and it works as it should.. thank you.. however the red and the white/green/blue wire are just connected together and not connected to anything else, im guessing thats fine, and I wont worry about it.... also can you show me where your green wire gets grounded too? I had mine on the coin door is that where it goes?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

Ok based on yourr pics I set mine up exactly the same and it works as it should.. thank you.. however the red and the white/green/blue wire are just connected together and not connected to anything else, im guessing thats fine, and I wont worry about it.... also can you show me where your green wire gets grounded too? I had mine on the coin door is that where it goes?

Glad it works. My King Pin does not have ground wires maybe because it is an early model or because someone upgraded yours whether factory or personal. I will do a grounded system at a later date as I usually do. Gottlieb mounted grounded wires on their on/off base and coin door hinge on later models (green/yellow wires) as well as to the transformer base.

#14 4 years ago

ok thats perfect than .. i will keep mine on the door hings as well.. thanks..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-wire-on-king-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.