(Topic ID: 267905)

Weird tech question?

By QuarterGrabber

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200504_194050 (resized).jpg
    20200504_194044 (resized).jpg
    20200504_194518 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider QuarterGrabber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I went to look at a newer Spike system game. It was a routed game so I expected it to have coil dust over the bottom of the Playfield. But the weird thing is it has what seems to be coil dust over the entire machine. All over the inside of the cab everywhere, all over the back Box, in electronics even the translight is covered in this black dust. It looks like someone took a garbage bag of black coil dust and just dumped it all over the machine and its components. Does anybody have any experience on what this could be?

#2 3 years ago

It's all over the ramps and everything. I mean this black dust is everywhere

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

It’s from the black runners on the playfield

Sorry, what is a black runner? And how does that get dyst in the back box? I mean it is everywhere. All over the translate the electronics in the back box the cab everywhere. Is this a common issue with new Spike systems? I've never owned one before

20200504_194044 (resized).jpg20200504_194044 (resized).jpg20200504_194050 (resized).jpg20200504_194050 (resized).jpg20200504_194518 (resized).jpg20200504_194518 (resized).jpg
    #5 3 years ago

To me weirdly enough it looks like it's coming from that silver electrical box thing below where I put the red circle

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Rubbers.
    Yeah. They disintegrate and mix with coil dust. The combined smutz gets everywhere. It cleans up fairly easily, but routed games with black rubbers are messy. Your hands will turn black every time you touch anything until you wipe everything down.

Oh my God thank you! I thought the machine caught fire at one point or something, LOL. How do black rubbers get all that dust on the translite and in the back box? And why did this never happen to games before the spike era of games? I've seen heavily rooted Sam system games and never seen that amount of black dust on them and certainly not in the back box. Like how does rubber dust get in the back box? At this point I am just curious

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Stupid Apple autocorrect.
    Dust from rubber and solenoids flys around, power supply fan will draw it through the neck of the cabinet. You can try black silicone to lessen the dirt.

Thank you so much for responding and solving this mystery for me

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider QuarterGrabber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-tech-question?tu=QuarterGrabber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.