(Topic ID: 325936)

weird T2 lighting issue

By busa32927

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinretail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 1 year ago

First... LED or Bulbs?

If LED, go to Adjustements / Standard Adjustements / Allow Dim Illumination - set this to off.

The 'bulb saver' technology that WPC machines use is really remarkable, but they dim the incandescent bulbs by shutting off power to them. LED's have a really obvious flicker effect... unless you buy the higher cost 'flicker free' LED bulb replacement from Cointaker.

The bulb saver technology uses some circuitry called 'zero cutoff' and I've always suspected that problems with the 'zero cutoff' section could cause inappropriate flickering, but I personally haven't seen this problem.

All your (controlled) lamps use the +18V, so a problem with a fuse acting like a resistor at F114, browned pins/plugs at J101 could starve the 18V of it's power. BR1 is the bottom Bridge Rectifier under the big silver heat sink, and a failure here could mess with your 18V. An absolutely failed C6 and C7 could cause you to not have smooth DC voltage, but I've replaced a crazy amount of failed bridge rectifiers and VERY few 15,000 uf capacitors.

Troubleshooting.

You did the right thing. The General Illumination and the 'controlled' illumination are different. Isolating the problem to only the controlled illumination side helps.

LED's and Dim Illumination setting are what happens when you are not playing... like fifteen minutes after you stop playing (adjustable) the lights would dim down by flickering.

In test mode / All Lamps, do the lamps come on brightly without flickering?

I would re-seat J101 on the right side of the big Power Driver board. I'd visually inspect the capacitors for leakage, and F114 for any indication that the fuse has been getting hot.

I'd re-seat all the grey ribbon cables (with power off).

Then (with power back on) I'd use a meter to find out if my +18V is reading correctly.

After that, I'd be looking deeper at the lamp and the zero cross circuitry.

Let us know what you find!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 26.50
$ 21.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinretail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-t2-lighting-issue?tu=pinretail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.