Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Cycloneman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm experiencing odd behaviour in my TOM with switches registering and not registering sometimes.

Recently a couple of fuses have blown, first for the left magnet save, then later for the trough / ball launch.

Now I'm seeing occasional issues with some switches. A couple of times the left flipper has triggered a trunk hit while choosing a mode before ball launch. A couple times actual trunk hits in game have not registered. And it seems fairly often that the right outlane eddy sensor is missing the ball entering the right outlane and fairly often that the right magnet save is triggering on the right inlane switch, and sometimes on no switch at all.

Voltage at TP3 is 12.0V dead on.
Voltage at TP2 is ranging from 5.03 to 5.08 V.

I'm not seeing anything to indicate power issues, ie no Williams reset, LED 1-7 on the driver board are all solidly lit.

The switches I've noticed acting up are not related by row or column on the switch matrix.

I'm thinking I may have a failing chip at U16, U17, U18, U19, or U20, and I should replace these. Does anyone have any thoughts that this may be the best next step (or worst next step?)

Just in case it's worth mentioning, I have pinbits auto adjusting eddy sensors on trunk and inlanes, and also Ingo's Leon board on the trunk, though I doubt any of these are power drains.

#2 6 years ago

I sent you a PM. See if it helps

#3 6 years ago

Can I place my Doctor Who cpu in the Theatre of Magic to prove or disprove that the problem is somewhere on the CPU? Doctor Who is WPC-Fliptronics 2, where Theatre of Magic is WPC-Security. The cpu both have the same connectors onboard, but slightly different chips and layout. I'm afraid of blowing up other stuff if they are not compatible.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Can I place my Doctor Who cpu in the Theatre of Magic

No, it has to be a CPU from the same family of games. Nothing to do with flitronics.

Pinwiki lists the various titles and what CPU is in them.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_List

LTG : )

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No, it has to be a CPU from the same family of games. Nothing to do with flitronics.
Pinwiki lists the various titles and what CPU is in them.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_List
LTG : )

Ok, thanks that's what I thought. Yet another case of regret over selling my NF. :p I guess I'll have to order chips and replace U16-U20 and see if that does the trick then.

#6 6 years ago

Unfortunatelyl U16-U20 was chasing my tail. Replaced them all and no change on the issues with right magnet save. Unsure about the trunk activation with left flipper as it has only happened a couple of times, not too repeatable. Though I now notice that if I press the left flipper button very slowly I can get it to machine gun 2 or 3 times.

Tomorrow I will try pulling the pinbits boards and Ingo's board and see if somehow one of them is scrambling other stuff.

In the meantime, this caused me to look closer at the eddy sensor, and there's nothing to look at. WTF, just a resistor buried in the PF? How does that sense anything?

4 months later
#7 5 years ago

Any resolution to your problem? I am thinking of getting the Pinbits boards for the outlane(s).

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from not4tilts:

Any resolution to your problem? I am thinking of getting the Pinbits boards for the outlane(s).

whats your game doing?

#9 5 years ago

I just have to adjust the out lane eddy board(s) every once in awhile. Not a big deal but I have the auto eddy on the trunk and also my Road Show dozer and they have been fantastic.

Just wondering if he was having problems with the out lane auto eddy(s). They are expensive though. Pinbits is currently out of them so I don't have to decide now.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from not4tilts:

I just have to adjust the out lane eddy board(s) every once in awhile. Not a big deal but I have the auto eddy on the trunk and also my Road Show dozer and they have been fantastic.
Just wondering if he was having problems with the out lane auto eddy(s). They are expensive though. Pinbits is currently out of them so I don't have to decide now.

Oh i see

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-switch-issues-in-theatre-of-magic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.