Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dmod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I am SO CLOSE to getting my STTNG 100% but I have one last hurdle to get over.

When playing, the color DMD will go black and I will randomly get a bunch of things like free locks, an extra ball lit and collect, and a bunch of warps. After about 3 seconds of this, the display comes back on and everything is okay. I thought this could be a power board issue however it did the same thing when the original DMD was in and I don’t understand how I could be getting warps if it was a power issue. I believe the only way to get warps is from a regular switch, not an opto. I’d say this happens about 1 in every 3 games.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Switch power is going low for some reason. Color Display or DMD.

Something else going on.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

When playing, the color DMD will go black and I will randomly get a bunch of things like free locks, an extra ball lit and collect, and a bunch of warps.

Sounds like a classic power supply issue.
None of my ColorDMD displays ever blackout.
I'm guessing you're loosing 12VDC but could be the 5VDC going low.
Have you rebuilt the powersupply / rectifiers?

#4 3 years ago

Theirs a little cap for the 12vdc on the driver board . It often leaks and eats through a trace causing issues. Since you're losing display and optos I would check this area.

#5 3 years ago

There are two +12VDC supplies on the power board. They should not be confused because they serve different purposes. They originate from different transformer secondary windings.

+12VU: UNREGULATED +12VDC. This is derived from its own transformer secondary winding at J112. It connects to the DMC (dot matrix controller) and is a pass through to the DMD (dot matrix display). Certain brands of DMD require the +12VDC input. It is NOT used by DMC. I believe ColorDMD requires this +12VDC.

+12VR: REGULATED +12VDC. This is derived from the +18VU lamp matrix transformer secondary winding at J101. It is regulated by Q2 and C2. C2 does leak and when it does it can cause problems to the nearby traces as well as interfere with the +12VR supply.

+12VU supplies the playfield. Anything that needs +12VDC in the playfield uses this power source. This is includes the opto boards and the opto board LM339 ICs.

+12VR is only used by the CPU/FLP boards - exclusively for the switch matrix LM339 ICs.

#6 3 years ago

DumbAss stated this perfectly, I have nothing to add.

Edit: okay I do have one thing to add. In case you are unaware DumbAss actually builds the WPC089 board set, and while I do consider myself an expert with this specific board set, he may actually have more specific knowledge in this area than I do.

#7 3 years ago

Another thing I would trouble shoot is the mpu board. I am not sure on testing it but I know how to swap and pop. Lol

I Had a similar experience on my Addams family and it ended up being my mpu. If you have a spare or another game you could borrow one from, try swapping it out and see if that fixes it.

I am sure another member or DumbAss (lol) might be able to help you on actually testing the mpu.

Oh make sure its the same type of mpu you are swapping, I believe its a mpu089.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Jrwill13lv:

I am not sure on testing it but I know how to swap and pop. Lol

This is an excellent strategy. I use it all the time. It's part of the reason for me building my own boards. It's always useful to have a known good board for differential diagnosis or to use an emergency replacement.

Based on the collection list OP cannot swap the CPU boards between STTNG and WCS94. OP can however swap the PWR boards if OP suspects a potential problem on that board.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

It's always useful to have a known good board for differential diagnosis or to use an emergency replacement.

agreed, I also keep a full set of WPC089 boards available for comparison testing.

#10 3 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I went ahead and swapped the power board from WCS and put it into STTNG. Luckily, I didn’t notice any leakage on the power board from STTNG. After I made sure all the connections were solid, I booted up Next Generation with the WCS board, and every coil (that was controlled by optos) went insane. They fired to no end. I plan to do more testing, but just to make sure I didn’t ruin anything I quickly swapped the original power board back into Next Generation and thankfully everything was good.

Strangely, I haven’t gotten the game to have the weird warp or extra ball issues after a few plays. The DMD will still sometimes turn off momentarily, but I feel like I made it better simply by taking it out and putting it back in. Maybe I’m just telling myself what I want to hear as I’m sure the issues will probably start up again.

I still do plan on rebuilding the board.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

After I made sure all the connections were solid, I booted up Next Generation with the WCS board, and every coil (that was controlled by optos) went insane. They fired to no end.

Coils like the trough eject will fire when the 12V (unregulated) power to the playfield is unplugged. The optos aren't getting power and will be detected by the switch matrix as a ball obstructing light from the opto (i.e. switch closed). The coil will fire in order to eject the phantom ball.

This is one of the three harnesses plugged into J116-J118 at the lower left corner of the board. One goes to the backbox (DMD controller board), one goes to the playfield (optos/motors), and one goes to the cabinet (coin door).

If you have the ColorDMD harness plugged in, whatever cable was unplugged from J116-J118 needs to be plugged back into the center connector on the ColorDMD harness using the male-to-male "z" adapter. Make sure the wire colors match on both sides of the adapter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-sttng-scoring-issue- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.