New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 240614)

Weird randomness issue with Williams Casanova

By wrd1972

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by wrd1972
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
HighVoltWire (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

I am doing some work on Williams Casanova, and its giving me some random weird behavior. Any chance you can help me troubleshoot?

Issue1. At random times, the small ball coil (bagatelle in the head) will NOT fire the small ball after the main ball has drained. The small ball in the bagatelle should fire every time, almost immediately when the main ball drains. It seems that when you launch the main ball, and once the main ball goes through one of the 4 rollovers at the top, the transfer relay SHOULD change state. I am seeing a pattern with this particular issue, and on occasion, the transfer relay is randomly NOT changing state as it should, and when this happens, then the bagatelle wont fire.

Issue2. At random times, when the main ball drains, the ball unit will NOT advance to the next ball. Say if your on ball 2, and it drains. You might get the ball kicked to the shooter lane and the ball unit will still be on ball 2. The ball advance unit has been properly cleaned and it operated smooth as silk, so I will rule that out. I am seeing a pattern where the ball index does not revert back to its home position when it should.

I have checked all switches on the scoring motor, and ball index, outhole and transfer relays. They look good. But my gut thinks these mentioned relays and the functions that cause them to change their states, are possibly contributing to these issue. Its just mind boggling the randomness that I am seeing with these issues, especially from an EM.

I also saw a yellow high volt wire screwed to the ball advance unit...coil bracket. This just seems very suspect to me. Is this normal? If not, any idea where this high volt wire with a screw eyelet would attach? I can find any spot in that area, that it should screw to.

Link to the scematic.
https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=casanova&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Thanks guys.

HighVoltWire (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

the small ball coil (bagatelle in the head) will NOT fire the small ball after the main ball has drained

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Pinball (resized).png
#3 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

At random times, when the main ball drains, the ball unit will NOT advance to the next ball

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Pinball (resized).png
#4 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

I also saw a yellow high volt wire screwed to the ball advance unit.

It's probably this wire.

Pinball (resized).png

#5 1 year ago

Okay the yellow wire definitely attaches to where it is. Without it, the ball indicator lamps dont light. I guess i have not really seen that before.

I think I might have found the main issue. There was a a strange black wire tying the outhole switch to the tilt switch. Its very obvious this is not original wiring. SO when I removed it, the pin started behaving like it should. I will do some more testing on it tomorrow just to be sure.

It is even is much quieter now that there are no solenoids firing needlessly. Before, when the bagatelle ball fired, the coil would keep repeatedly firing until the ball came to rest at the bottom. Now, it only fires a single time which I am pretty is the way it should be.

Thanks for the tips Howard. I will looks those over as well.

#6 1 year ago

If you still have issues, inspect the Jones Plugs going to the back box (from the bottom insert board) for cleanliness and that they are fully inserted.

#7 1 year ago

Everything started working as expected with the foreign wire removed. Thanks guys.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 109.99
$ 70.00
Playfield - Plastics
Cobra Amusements
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 12.95
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 126.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 27.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside