(Topic ID: 327547)

Weird Opto Issue? -- Indy 500 -- (RESOLVED)

By ThePinballCo-op

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

i500 opto bd (resized).JPG
5C2323D5-2483-45EF-94FC-FCEB844842DB (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Context: The game started emptying the trough and giving balls during gameplay. When one ball drained the turn would end.

When the game wasn't being played it also started spitting out balls.

We put the game in switch test and it sat there telling us it had no issues. We let it sit there and after 5-10 minutes in switch test, and weird things started happening. Then more weird things. Video for context.

What the heck?

#2 1 year ago

The switches connect to the bottom of your cpu board, re-seat all the connectors there.

Re-seat connectors to the trough boards.

Re-seat connectors to the opto boards.

Re-seat the ribbon cables.

Press firmly on the big chip on the CPU (with power off)

This is presenting as though you have battery acid problems. Examine everything under the battery holder area on the CPU for corrosion, white powdery stuff, grey, or grey/green stuff.

Let us know what you find!

#3 1 year ago

Check the capacitor on your opto board also (C1). When it fails all sorts of strange things happen.

5C2323D5-2483-45EF-94FC-FCEB844842DB (resized).png5C2323D5-2483-45EF-94FC-FCEB844842DB (resized).png
#4 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

The switches connect to the bottom of your cpu board, re-seat all the connectors there.
Re-seat connectors to the trough boards.
Re-seat connectors to the opto boards.
Re-seat the ribbon cables.
Press firmly on the big chip on the CPU (with power off)
This is presenting as though you have battery acid problems. Examine everything under the battery holder area on the CPU for corrosion, white powdery stuff, grey, or grey/green stuff.
Let us know what you find!

I did most of this prior to posting. I didn't think of battery acid. Interesting...

Thanks for this. Thank you too Mad_Dog_Coin_Op

Much appreciated. It's on location so I'll report back later on.

#5 1 year ago

You might have a switch matrix error/short on the row or column that the ball trough jam opto is on. The opto in the trough that is where the balls exit.

#6 1 year ago

I had a similar issue on a BSD. Measure your 12vdc with a meter coming into your opto board. In my case it was very low, like 8 volts. It turned out to be a bridge rectifer in the circuit that provides 12 volts to the opto board.

i500 opto bd (resized).JPGi500 opto bd (resized).JPG
#7 1 year ago

Issue has been resolved, noting it here for anyone in the future with a similar problem.

About 1-2 months ago we replaced an opto in one of the standups. In doing so we disconnected a connecter that went to it, but when we reconnected it we did not plug it in fully. 1-2 millimeters makes a big difference.

Kind of weird that was the issue since the switch test did not show this switch as one of the errors, but it was indeed a bad connection within the circuit that was causing others to go crazy.

Fixed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-opto-issue-bally-williams-indy-500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.