Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by LocoMecanico
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Ok so pin was working great but has sat for a couple weeks turned off. Turned it on the other day to play. Shot the ball in to the top hole and kicker doesn’t work. Pulled glass and drained ball. Outhole kicker doesn’t work either. When you hit the flippers they score points.

Ran solenoid test all fire except flippers, outhole kicker and top hole kicker. Ran switch test 0 is flashing on display. When outhole switch is depressed top left bumper solenoid activates.

Strange occurrences going on with this one

#2 1 year ago

These are all new? No previous issues? Flippers won’t fire in coil test mode, only playfield coils. Try to jumper the two coils that aren’t working? Do you have power at this coils?

Maybe some switch issues also, flippers shouldn’t score, maybe the vibration from then is closing another switch? In switch test press the left flipper and are what switch triggers. Switch test only shows you the last active switch I believe.

#3 1 year ago

A failing 5101 on the MPU can cause weird issues like this. One easy check is reseating the connectors on the MPU and SDB.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from LocoMecanico:

Outhole kicker doesn’t work either. When you hit the flippers they score points.

Ran solenoid test all fire except flippers, outhole kicker and top hole kicker. Ran switch test 0 is flashing on display. When outhole switch is depressed top left bumper solenoid activates.

Do the flippers flip? The scoring of points is usually from a switch being gapped too close - the points that score can give you a clue to which switch. (Usually behind a rubber, and semi-near the flippers).

The flippers don't fire in solenoid test on their own you have to hold the buttons in. Any of the solenoids fire TWICE during this test, when they shouldn't? (The # on the display should be for one and only one unique solenoid in order, and when it resets back to 01 they would repeat then).

The outhole switch test, this is with you dropping a ball into it or holding it with your finger? Your finger adds a ground path that a switch capacitor on the pop bumper might be picking up, or if you mean that the left pop fires in game mode when you drop a ball in there?

In any case this looks like a classic example of a signal being lost in the connector between the MPU board and the solenoid driver board - it's the lower right connector on the solenoid driver board and the lower left connector on the mpu board that carry a series of 4 signals for the solenoids, and if one is missing, the wrong solenoids will fire (IF they use that line.... which is the confusing part). Reseat the connectors to start and see if it makes a difference.

#5 1 year ago

Switch both PIA chips on the mpu in their socket. See if there is any change.

#6 1 year ago

Sorry for the delay on responding. I work 18 hour days thru the week. I’m off now so this is where I am at.

Fixed the scoring issue with the flipper. I had the playfield straight up and when I hit one of the flippers it would make a switch behind the left slingshot close. So I adjusted it to about an 1/8”. That issue is fixed.

Ran the solenoid test. The outhole solenoid isn’t firing which is number 02. No voltage going to it when activated. The switch for the outhole also fires the top left thumper bumper.

The Post Down solenoid which is number 11 doesn’t pull the post down. Checked voltage none going to it. Instead of firing Post Down it fires the top left thumper bumper.

The Saucer or 04 solenoid doesn’t fire instead the drop target fires and the fires again when it is the drop targets time which is number 10 in test mode.

On the A2 Transformer board I found a broken plastic connector on J3. The yellow wire at J3-9 was arching. Also found a terminal arching J3-12. I replaced the connector and all terminals. So far that is all that I have found.

To rule out SDB I pulled the one out of my Silverball Mania that works fine. Didn’t make a difference.

#7 1 year ago

You need to repin the solenoid connectors between the mpu and the solenoid driver board as one is missing its signal that's why you are getting duplicated firings.

If you don't have voltage at your coils that is a separate issue - there should always be nominal +43 volts DC at both lugs of all coils. If it's missing from some look for disconnected wires from coil to coil - it's a chain.

Like I said before, this is an extremely common issue that just doesn't seem to be covered adequately in either forum posts or repair guides. It's J4 connector in each case on the mpu and the sdb, your schematic will have the pins labeled for the momentary solenoids - if you like you can measure continuity to determine which one is missing.

#8 1 year ago

Ok got the problem figured out. This one was my fault. I forgot that I had swapped MPUs with my Silverball Mania a couple weeks ago in an ongoing problem with Silverball. I set everything the same on the MPUs for the swap. For some reason my Silverball MPU will not work in my Six Million pin. They are both new Alltech MPUs. Anyways I swapped them back out reset both of them and now all is working fine.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside