(Topic ID: 9934)

Weird freaky number substitution from rebuilt MPU

By CrazyFliprFingrs

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I bought a used Playboy MPU that had seven blinks for my Supersonic.

I sent it off to my buddy in Sacramento who rejumpered it and burned new ROMS for it, got it back to seven blinks, shipped it back to me.

I carefully configured the DIP switches in the manual, and it plays great, but some weird effects!

1. The sound is like a classic Hammond D3 organ on acid. Steve Winwood would love it. I think its the most amazing sounds I have ever heard out of a pin.

2. There is some funky numeral substitution in the scores, a one is displayed as a zero, ball one is displayed as a zero, ball two is displayed as a zero (Ball Zero?,wtf) Ball three is displayed as a three, normal, Ball four is displayed as a four, normal. Ball five is displayed as a four, weird, eh?
after ball five the game ends normally. the score itself is still correctly tabulated by the mpu, its just the display thats weird, I call it substitution. When I go over 199,000 points, theres a two in the far left digit so I know its just a strange software issue, anyway I could always just put that ultimate mpu back in but lose that badass Hammond organ sound, hard to choose..

#2 12 years ago

Make a video of it. That would be awesome!

#3 12 years ago

I think I need to bring it to Pin A Go Go and stump the chumps!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-freaky-number-substitution-from-rebuilt-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.