(Topic ID: 164871)

Weird Flipper Issue (Help)

By FightNightFZ

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Just got a NIB pin, Full Throttle to be exact. Both flippers act sticky, as in you push the button then they stay up a bit, then come back down. Another interesting part is that if the right flipper is up, I can push the left flipper button to bring it down and vise versa. I can't do any major fixes but as of now support has went dead on this and I have an almost 7k paperweight and bored friends. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

Ii think you've already determined this, but when the flipper is stuck up, switch off the game. Does the flipper stay up or fall?

I'm assuming it stays up.

So, open the door, remove the handrail, and slide out the glass, place the glass on something with cushion in a spot not likely to get bumped into.

Back at the game, grab the fat end of the flipper and pull up on it. There should be 1/16-1/8" of up-down motion. If it doesn't move up or down any, that is probably the problem. Lift the playfield, however it is designed and prop it up. Now, while observing the bottom of the flipper assembly, rotate the flipper from above. That should pinpoint the flipper shaft. Whatever mechanism that grabs the flipper shaft needs to be loosened just enough to slide the flipper bat 1/16" up. Then make sure your alignment with the inlane guide top side is good, and retighten the assembly.

The flipper should now be aligned with the inlane guide and have at least 1/16" up/down slop when pulling it up and down.

#3 7 years ago

So they stay up when the game turns off for like a second. It almost seems as if it is a board/hardware issue as sometimes randomly hitting the flipper button will also set off the right sling. Every time I turn it one something else new starts happening but if the flipper issue could get solved at least i could enjoy it this weekend.

#4 7 years ago

Hmm....intermittent problems are tougher to solve. We still aren't sure if the problem is mechanical or electrical. Try repeating the test a half dozen times. We need to know for sure if the solenoid releases upon power down.

Also do this. Start up a game and hold the other flipper button in, flipper up. Keep holding it, then switch the game off. Does the flipper drop immediately? Same amount of time as the problem flipper?

We are trying to ascertain if "normal" behavior for the extended flipper to remain up a couple of seconds after power down, like the problem flipper is doing.

Please note that I haven't even seen the inside of a Throttle. I am trying to use common isolation processes that work on older games. They may not even be relevant in this case. If that is true I apologize for the wasted effort.

#5 7 years ago

Hey thanks for at least trying to help, that's more than I can say for the makers right now. I've been getting radio silence, I just want someone to come pick it up and get a refund at this point. But I wanted to at least say thank you

#6 7 years ago

It could be that the plungers and/or the coil stops are magnetized. I had this isue after doing a Flash Gordon restore. I changed the stops and it went away.

#7 7 years ago

Hi,

We are sorry if there has been a lack of communication from our support team. We have had some personnel chenges recently and any emails you have sent us may have slipped through the net.

For now, please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] and I wil handle your issues personally.

Some things to check initially please:

1. Please make sure the flipper end stops are nice and tight and secure (the rest plate that the flipper crank rests on, at 'rest') There are black hex screws that hold the plate in place.
2. Are the flipper return springs still connected?
3. Please check the cabinet flipper button switches. We currently use leaf switches here (soon to be changed to optos). During shipping, these leaf switches can misalign slightly. Please adjust so the switch is tightly screwed in and directly aligned with the flipper button post that strikes the middle of the switch when the flipper button is pressed. If misaligned, the post can strike the side of the switch and 'catch' it slightly, resulting in flippers that can flutter or not return to the 'rest' position correctly.

Please check the above and come back to us.

Andrew

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-flipper-issue-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.