(Topic ID: 92013)

Weird Firepower switch issue...please help!

By DnDPins

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cp1610
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have a weird (to me at least) firepower scoring or switch problem which I think is under the playfield. I need some basic troubleshooting help such as what is the difference between a row problem and a column problem. I put a new rottendog MPU 327 and played for a while and all was fine. I then started having a switch column problem which I spoke to Jim at rottendog about and just got a replacement board which is installed. Because of that I think the problem is under the playfield. here are the details:
1) The #6 arrow blinks but when it is hit, you get a sound,but it does not score and the light still blinks
2) All other switches on the same column behave the same way

Here is what I did:
I checked all diodes (in circuit) in the column and each tested within the proper voltages on the band side and null on the other side except the spinner. The spinner tested fine on the band side but was not null on the otherside. I cut one side and tested out of circuit and it then tested null. I went ahead and replaced the diode but still have the same problem.

Am I missing something basic? Remember that I think it must be under the playfield since I have the same problem with two boards.

Thanks,
Dave

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

when it is hit, you get a sound,

Sounds to me like the switch is working from this statement. Do a switch test and see if all register correctly. If they pass the switch test, your problem is likely elsewhere.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

The spinner tested fine on the band side but was not null on the otherside. I cut one side and tested out of circuit and it then tested null. I went ahead and replaced the diode but still have the same problem.

that does not sound right. spinner should be no different than any other switch. so one direction .5-.7 other way should be null, OL no reading. is the spinner in same row or column that you are having issue with.

#4 5 years ago

Let me clarify the spinner issue. It does test as expected once out of circuit; .5xxx on the band side and null on other. And after replacing with a new diode, same results so the spinner is acting exactly as the others. Sorry if my prior post was confusing. What I meant by same results was that the row problem still exists.

New Information:
I performed a switch test and none of the switches in that row registered. Does this ensure the problem is under the playfield? How do I troubleshoot it?

Thanks,
Dave

#5 5 years ago

i believe i understood you fine, what i am suprised is that you had to remove one end of that diode to prove it was not bad. it is not like a coil diode in parallel with a coil or short. you get my thinking? if the other switch diodes could test fine and that spinner one doesn't....

#6 5 years ago

Yeah...I hear you CNKay...that is why I replaced the diode. Now the new one acts the same as the others while in circuit. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue.

#7 5 years ago

remove the switch row and column connectors off the mpu board and you should be able to jump the row with the column to get that certain switch to register on the switch test, if it doesn't it is the board if it does it is the PF.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

New Information:
I performed a switch test and none of the switches in that row registered. Does this ensure the problem is under the playfield? How do I troubleshoot it?
Thanks,
Dave

Jim sending you a replacement board and the same column having problems is a pretty good indicator that the problem is on the playfield. You need to check continuity between each switch column connection and the CPU board. You likely have an open somewhere on that column.

#9 5 years ago

Check the connector had switch problems myself on my own firepower has factory boards went through the boards only to find the cheap connector was the issue the wire was no longer fully seated in plug. The things were never meant to be pulled more then a few times. 34 years of pulling and flexing the wires are causing it to fail. I've found the very same issue on the dataeast machine I'm trying to get ruining again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 22.00
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside