3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Kare9
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Having issues on a DCS soundboard, need some advise here!
    Symptom: Board is working, but sound from backbox speakers is "noisy", listen to THIS:

https://soundcloud.com/rawad-azar-630513522/dcs-sound-board

- Verified that the issue is within the board itself, since it follows the board when put in another game (swapped sound roms also, so issue is not in the roms).
    - Followed Pinwiki and replaced C32 and C41, also cut C37 and C45, but issue remains.
    - Compared some measurements with another working board (diode tested roms, continuety, resistors) and they all seemed fine.
    - Measured the 2 big 10.000 uf caps C20/C21 with an ESR meter, seemed similar to the working board.

Any thoughts what to do next? As said, I have another working board to compare with, but really don´t know what to look for more.

#2 3 years ago

No reply? Nobody that has experienced similar issues with the sound?
    Should I suspect the two big caps even though they measured fine, or is there something else I should look for first?

#3 3 years ago

How is your power supply, it may show 5V or 12Vdc but you need to check the ac-part. Have you tested the board out of the pinball with a good powersupply and speaker?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMario:

How is your power supply, it may show 5V or 12Vdc but you need to check the ac-part. Have you tested the board out of the pinball with a good powersupply and speaker?

I have verified that the issue is within the sound board. When moving sound board to another machine, the issue follows to the other machine.

#5 3 years ago

Sounds very similar to what I had happen on my DCS game. See my post in the following thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/distorted-sound-wpc-dcs#post-5940645

1 week later
    #6 3 years ago

The big caps are most likely the issue. You've had c52 leak, I wouldn't trust anything electrolytic on that board. Use flux and a hot iron, a good solder deputter and a bit of braid. Keep the iron hot and aim for quick action on the big cap joints, once all/most of the solder is cleaned from the holes gently wiggle from the top if you need to, sometimes they'll just fall out if you've cleaned the holes nicely.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kare9:

The big caps are most likely the issue. You've had c52 leak, I wouldn't trust anything electrolytic on that board. Use flux and a hot iron, a good solder deputter and a bit of braid. Keep the iron hot and aim for quick action on the big cap joints, once all/most of the solder is cleaned from the holes gently wiggle from the top if you need to, sometimes they'll just fall out if you've cleaned the holes nicely.

Plus 1

2 weeks later
    #8 3 years ago

Update: replaced all of the caps (not the mini yellow ones), including the 2 big ones.
    Problem still the same.

Should I just live with it?

1 week later
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from ravve:

Update: replaced all of the caps (not the mini yellow ones), including the 2 big ones.
    Problem still the same.
    Should I just live with it?

Oh those must be the tantalum caps and could absolutely be the issue man. I know it may be futile but try replacing those as well - they have been known to cause issues on the first version of the dcs sound board.

Maybe search it up, I think on the early dcs boards you can clip them off instead of replacing them - it is a well documented fix on Pinside.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.