11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball_Stern.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 11 years ago

no sympathy for the op given his history...

that being said, if someone buys something "new", it is not unreasonable for them to expect that they won't have to fix it right out of the box...

for those who do think it is reasonable, do you feel that way about everything you buy?

#55 11 years ago

^^^

nope, and not the point... it's not a "manufacturer specific point"... don't really care who the manufacturer is... the point is, it's unreasonable to expect someone to fix something that is "brand spanking new" themselves... and it's even more unreasonable to blast them for not wanting to...

to take your example... let's say there only one car manufacturer, and you bought a car from them... you pick it up, and it doesn't run... would you expect people to just say "fix it yourself"?

again, no sympathy at all for the op... karma sucks... but i do think that certain posters should re-examine their responses...

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

My old life was high end AV. Systems from a couple grand to 200k plus. It was all tweaking. Almost nothing was plug and play.
When I decided to get in to pinball's I read enough to know that I would either need to learn a few things or be ready to pay for repairs. I have never heard of any pinball that did not need to be fixed.
Just is what it is.
In relation to the OP I have had folks here walk me through things and even had forum folks come over and help me out. Its two way street and worth driving on.

a man after my own heart... my "main hobby" is a/v, and my current theater has enough spent on it to buy a large collection of a-list pins...

not once have i taken a piece of a/v equipment out of the box, had it not work, and have someone tell me "fix it yourself"... if you had bought a high end projector (since you brought up high end), and it did not work out of the box, would you "fix it yourself"? or an amplifier? etc.

"tweaking" is a completely different story... i have spent hundreds (thousands?) of hours doing video calibrations, optimizing audio and optimizing the room.....however, that is not analogous to "fix broken equipment"... the equipment "worked"... getting it to perform it's best once placed in a room is up to the end user... as someone who was into "high end a/v", i'm sure you are aware of that, since unlike a pinball machine, "performance" of a/v equipment is highly dependent on the room it is placed in...

i may be a new person when it comes to pinball, but when it comes to a/v, i'm very well versed... that dog won't hunt... "tweaking" a/v is analogous to leveling a pin, not "fixing" a pin...

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Not disagreeing but again Pinball will require this kind of fixing/Tweeking. To me the similarity was reading post how someone spent 18k on a turntable but did not know how to balance the arm and was pissed because the needle scratched a classic recording. Or the 25k projector that was unwatchable until they learned to calibrate or in many cases paid a tech $150 to come do that for them. Heck a 30k Home theater that needed a tech to calibrate the room for them before it would sound right.
Just using a hobby I know well and seeing similarities in the need to either learn to be technical or prepare to pay. That does not mean a game should not work new out of the box but it does mean in this world of flying steel balls know in advance the glass will have to come off or dont play. Or, prepare to pay.

fair enough...

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Dealerships prep their vehicles for sale, and that includes fixing anything that broke during shipment or items that came defective from the factory.
If that's the kind of service you want, buy your games from a retailer who will go through the game and make sure everything is good before delivery.

not buying that excuse, sorry...

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Well I see it as you can't have your cake and eat it, too.
How many of you complain about Pinball manufacturer XYZ for being cheap, using cheap(er) materials, etc. And then come on here and say as a pinball buyer, you have to expect to fix some things right out of the box.
That's a dangerous path to go down - the more you "expect" a few things to be broken out of the box, the more they will be. If manufacturers are not held accountable, it will only get worse. Once they start spending money on technicians going out to redo solder joints, reconnect wires, make adjustments, etc - the better the quality control will be with the manufacturer process. Yes, every now and then something SMALL should happen (plastic piece becomes unglued on playfield, glue it back on, etc). But as far as the electronics - it should not happen. There are ways to ensure this.

this...

you can't gripe outta one side out of your mouth about the quality of new games, yet turn around and say it's ok that they come non-functional...

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Anything that costs any significant amount of money? Yes

so if you spend a significant amount of money on something, your expectation is that it's ok that you should have to fix it yourself right out of the box? but if it is cheap, it should work correctly right out of the box and/or the manufacturer should take responsibilty for making sure you have a functional product?

oddly enough, i feel differently...

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

"so if you spend a significant amount of money on something, your expectation is that it's ok that you should have to fix it yourself right out of the box? but if it is cheap, it should work correctly right out of the box and/or the manufacturer should take responsibilty for making sure you have a functional product?
oddly enough, i feel differently..."
No, if I spend a significant amount of money, I should NOT have to spend anything. I would expect it to work like it should, and if I did not have the skills to fix it, I would expect the company to make it right because I paid a significant amount of money.
If I did not spend a significant amount of money and it did not work correctly, I would bring it back to the store and either get a refund or replacement like I did with my trimmer I got from Home Depot last week.
Both examples I am not accepting items that don't work. Pinball machines because of size and shipping costs are probably best fixed by a technician at the cost of the company if it is the company's fault the item is not working correctly.

ah, ok... i believe we are on the same page then...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/week-3-my-avengers-is-still-unplayable?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.