11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball_Stern.png
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Well, Its week 3 since ive owned my screwed up Avengers Pro which I only got to play 3 games on. I called Stern tech support which barely even seemed to want to help me. After that conversation they were like huh maybe the boards are the problem (not believing that their new game would have issues) they are sending me some new ones. But I'm really having a hard time believing that I have 2 bad boards. I really enjoyed the few games I did get to have on it and hopefully these boards will work wish me luck

#2 11 years ago

That is nuts!

#3 11 years ago

That sucks man.

#4 11 years ago

What problems are you having?

#6 11 years ago

Well I've posted my problems before but here goes:
Issue 1:
The HULK Drop Targets are constantly trying to reset even when they are all up and the problem seems to be coming from the K which it seems to think is down and is trying to compensate by resetting them all.
Issue 2:
The Loki Lock Up-Post (White Post) just goes up and down once you've triggered it, it just keeps going like the energizer bunny (up/down) which once the ball drains the game thinks there is a ball in play or active switch or something.

This really just sucks

#7 11 years ago

Having them send a tech is the next step if these boards don't end up working fingers crossed though.

#8 11 years ago

I owned my unplayable xmen LE magneto for 3 months before they fixed it.

It got replaced by an AC/DC Premium. I've had no issues since

#9 11 years ago

Did you go into the switch test and try dropping the targets one bye one to see if the computer reckognizes them. Did you trace wires and reseat connectors. Probably an opto board, try reseating the connectors on both ends and make sure the wires are making good contact.

#10 11 years ago

I doubt that either of your problems is related to the boards. The drop target sounds like a problem with the target mechanical parts.
The lock post is likely related to the connector or the optos. I remember when I disconnected the Loki Lock plastic electrical connector on mine, my lock post was going up and down until I re-connected the connector for the Lock plastic.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballwizardz:

Well I've posted my problems before but here goes:
Issue 1:
The HULK Drop Targets are constantly trying to reset even when they are all up and the problem seems to be coming from the K which it seems to think is down and is trying to compensate by resetting them all.
Issue 2:
The Loki Lock Up-Post (White Post) just goes up and down once you've triggered it, it just keeps going like the energizer bunny (up/down) which once the ball drains the game thinks there is a ball in play or active switch or something.
This really just sucks

Issue 1 seems to have happened to a few people here and there are fixes for it. People have put some washers to raise up/forward the targets so they rest on the ledge better. This doesn't make it unplayable btw. It is just annoying, but is a simple fix.

Issue 2: I don't have one of these games, but is there an opto or switch broken/stuck? Have you tried going in switch test and seeing what the deal is?

#12 11 years ago

This is my issue as Stern should have sent a tech as it would be much more cost effective. Shipping new boards does not seem like it will solve this issue. All of it seems mechanical or opto related. Unless the boards they are sending are the opto boards and it seems like this one board would be very troublesome to install/replace

#13 11 years ago

Have you actually tried to fix anything yourself? Or are you just going to keep making threads whining about it?

I don't think I've read anything about you actually trying to troubleshoot it? Or responding to people that are trying to help you...

#15 11 years ago

I have had similar issues with a nib (not avengers) and found that one of the wires in the cabinet was hooked by a staple and causing a ground out issue triggering all sorts of crazy things. You might try looking for something like that.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Have you actually tried to fix anything yourself? Or are you just going to keep making threads whining about it?
I don't think I've read anything about you actually trying to troubleshoot it? Or responding to people that are trying to help you...

I do not remember a warning from Stern saying you must fix yourself. Your comment is lame about him whining. He bought a new machine with a warranty Einstein, let the people who sold it fix it or better yet, you you the name caller, how about some advice bloke and what a new pin owner can do to fix it? This is silly, so i f i buy a new car, i must fix it myself? And to discuss it is whining? Maybe Kamloops not in the USA. insert proud waving flag.

#17 11 years ago

I've seen about 10 different people try to help him on multiple threads now, and he hasn't said what he has tried or hasn't tried that I recall. Pinballs are finicky beasts, just replacing boards isn't usually the answer. He needs to help them troubleshoot it...there isn't a pinball dealer or service center like there is for cars...it's different...

Oh Canada...

#18 11 years ago

I agree Stern should help, I agree it sucks, but posting about it multiple times isn't helping..

What will help is him getting his hands dirty and actually taking some of the advice he has been offered multiple times, and then responding back with what worked and didn't work...otherwise his post is just whining...and not helping anything..

#19 11 years ago

Well I see from some of his past posts that he wasn't even sure how to get to switch test...that obviously says alot...hopefully he gets it figured out...just need to get your hands dirty and follow some of the advice that was already given, there usually isn't a magic fix of just swapping in a new board and all is well again...

Both issues seem switch related to me...flaky optos, misadjusted switches, bad connectors...

#20 11 years ago

Yep,he's posted multiple times about his issues and people have tried to help. Since he is not taking anyone's help, all he is doing is complaining. A simple lifting of the playfield to check connections might be all it takes. Stern even has this advice on their website for those buying nib...step by step instructions on how to set up your machine. I don't see car manufacturers providing such advice so not entirely comparable.

#21 11 years ago

pinballwizardz this is about the 7th thread you have started regarding your issues with Avengers. It does stink for sure and you will likely find some help here but starting a different thread each week will not help with this. Please list your issues in one thread and give it a bump if no one has helped out. Good luck I hope you get it up and running 100% soon.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

At least he called tech support on this thread. By thread 37 we should have this problem licked.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

I do not remember a warning from Stern saying you must fix yourself. Your comment is lame about him whining. He bought a new machine with a warranty Einstein, let the people who sold it fix it or better yet, you you the name caller, how about some advice bloke and what a new pin owner can do to fix it? This is silly, so i f i buy a new car, i must fix it myself? And to discuss it is whining? Maybe Kamloops not in the USA. insert proud waving flag.

Methinks you were not aware of the other multiple threads that he has started and what help he has or has not received, so maybe jumping down tomdotcom's throat and slagging his country was a bit premature?

And FYI, Stern warranties nothing other than the boards, and that for only three months. Any help Stern gives, or parts they provide outside of this is completely voluntary. I have received fantastic support from them on issues outside of just boards, and have found them nothing but helpful.

#24 11 years ago

Oh man i had the same prob with my k drop target.. Easy fix
The thread is somewhere on here.. I even posted a pic of the fix!
Yes i'm proud..yer welcome

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

At least he called tech support on this thread.

I like his subject line on this one. Sounds like a diary entry for a death row inmate.

Week 3:

It is a dark and stormy day. My Avengers is still unplayable. Supply lines are crumbling and we're low on bullets, jelly sandwiches and juice boxes. A strong sense of doom is in the air. I fear I will die soon. Very, very soon. Woe is me. d;^(

(it's optos)

#26 11 years ago

Better hope this guy doesn't buy a used pinball machine or Pinside will need to buy another server.

#27 11 years ago

The R in Thor was constantly slipping down on mine, Whysnow recommended a spacer under the tension bar so I put a small washer in and it functions perfectly now.

#28 11 years ago

I have an Avengers LE on location for a couple of months and I haven't had any major issues. The thor target bank would do a triple reset every so once in a while but the board seemed a little over tightened. Loosened the screws a little and the issue when away.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I like his subject line on this one. Sounds like a diary entry for a death row inmate.
Week 3:
It is a dark and stormy day. My Avengers is still unplayable. Supply lines are crumbling and we're low on bullets, jelly sandwiches and juice boxes. A strong sense of doom is in the air. I fear I will die soon. Very, very soon. Woe is me. d;^(
(it's optos)

That is bleepin' hilarious. You should write for the Onion!!

#30 11 years ago

My Avengers LE has been down for 2 weeks. The K would not stay up and I took apart the drop targets assembly and found the plastic catches where broke. I called Stern they said they would send me new ones and two weeks later and no parts. Called Stern yesterday 3 times and only got voicemail. Left messages, no call back.

Gotta love Stern, thankfully I love pinball and I don't have many choices or I would likely not purchase from them.

I love when you call tech support and they act like they never heard of the problem. IMHO they are way messed up on so many fronts. Advertising, Engineering, Product development, QA/QC, tech support and shipping out replacement parts.

Like I said, I love pinball so I keep buying the pain.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Methinks you were not aware of the other multiple threads that he has started and what help he has or has not received, so maybe jumping down tomdotcom's throat and slagging his country was a bit premature?
And FYI, Stern warranties nothing other than the boards, and that for only three months. Any help Stern gives, or parts they provide outside of this is completely voluntary. I have received fantastic support from them on issues outside of just boards, and have found them nothing but helpful.

Stern have no warranty? What about if it's unplayable on arrival? I get that the nature of pinball is parts break but surely they have to deliver at least a playable product (and I'm not griping a bout minor adjustments or anything like that).

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Stern have no warranty? What about if it's unplayable on arrival? I get that the nature of pinball is parts break but surely they have to deliver at least a playable product (and I'm not griping a bout minor adjustments or anything like that).

No, Stern has a warranty.

And FYI, Stern warranties nothing other than the boards, and that for only three months.

But they will support their product outside of that warranty, even though technically they are not obligated to:

Any help Stern gives, or parts they provide outside of this is completely voluntary. I have received fantastic support from them on issues outside of just boards, and have found them nothing but helpful.

#33 11 years ago

I'll offer a solution. After next weekend I may be in the market for a Pro. If so, I'll buy it from you and you can move one to something else. $3500 shipped would be my offer in current state.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

My Avengers LE has been down for 2 weeks. The K would not stay up and I took apart the drop targets assembly and found the plastic catches where broke. I called Stern they said they would send me new ones and two weeks later and no parts. Called Stern yesterday 3 times and only got voicemail. Left messages, no call back.
Gotta love Stern, thankfully I love pinball and I don't have many choices or I would likely not purchase from them.
I love when you call tech support and they act like they never heard of the problem. IMHO they are way messed up on so many fronts. Advertising, Engineering, Product development, QA/QC, tech support and shipping out replacement parts.
Like I said, I love pinball so I keep buying the pain.

Hulk is a bad ass game, hope you get it fixed soon.

Maybe send them a message through FB in addition to email/phone calls?

I often think Stern is rushing out games to get as much money as possible before JJP releases WOZ.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

pinballwizardz this is about the 7th thread you have started regarding your issues with Avengers. It does stink for sure and you will likely find some help here but starting a different thread each week will not help with this. Please list your issues in one thread and give it a bump if no one has helped out. Good luck I hope you get it up and running 100% soon.

And let's not forget this little gem:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/found-a-nice-tmnt-on-ebay#post-676858

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

And let's not forget this little gem:

Oh man I forget this was the same dude, oh well, maybe its just a little retribution from the pinball gremlins.

#38 11 years ago

Well, Its week 3 since ive owned my screwed up Avengers Pro which I only got to play 3 games on. I called Stern tech support which barely even seemed to want to help me. After that conversation they were like huh maybe the boards are the problem (not believing that their new game would have issues) they are sending me some new ones. But I'm really having a hard time believing that I have 2 bad boards. I really enjoyed the few games I did get to have on it and hopefully these boards will work wish me luck

Where do you live? Maybe one of us could come over and take a look.

Parker

#39 11 years ago

STOP BUYING STERNS SHIT!!

#40 11 years ago

Someone go fix this guys game. It is just simple switch adjustments.

#41 11 years ago

Isn't this also the "I started a cheap trick" guy?

I call shenanigans.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Where do you live? Maybe one of us could come over and take a look.
Parker

If he listed his location right in his ebay ad for his TMNT, he's in Valrico, Florida.

http://bit.ly/WQpbkS

#43 11 years ago

Yea. Another thread by someone that doesn't really want to solve his problem. I mean you can either work to solve your issue, or you can complain about your issue like you're a victim. Most people prefer to just complain. Very few seem to take initiative to solve problems.

In this case you have a choice. Don't play your game and wait for stern to hand hold you through the process. The problem will eventually be solved but it may be several weeks. You bought the game new and there is a warranty. You have every right to proceed this way. But if you do, do us a favor and STFU over it.

Or you can try to learn something from this and learn to debug and solve these types of issues yourself. There is a cost of ownership in owning pinballs. It's not a buy-it-and-play it hobby. If you want that, buy an Xbox or video game system. Your current issues are relatively easy to solve and you've had several suggestions but have taken none of them.

At this point, the reason you can't play your game is because of your choices.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Or you can try to learn something from this...

+1

I learned something from this.

I learned to cancel my Stern pin order.

And I'm no stranger to fixing stuff. I've fixed a lot of stuff. I shouldn't have to fix something after three games.

Is that unreasonable?

#45 11 years ago

I'm torn on this. It's true there is little I can fix on my '08 f-150, yet I can fix everything on any of my pins.( including board components). I had to decide to teach myself how to repair my hobby stuff, yet most people have no interest in learning to repair their"necessities" like their car, television, fridge? NIB pins for newbies are an anomaly. 20 years ago, how many people bought pinball machines for home use? Kinda like marketing home use nuclear reactors to the general public--with free tech support for dummies.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I learned to cancel my Stern pin order.

Nooo, dont do that. His problem is likely a connector and through all the thousands of pins that Stern produces/sells we got one minor hickup. Ive had 3 sterns and never really had a problem. Had several Bally/Williams with lots of problems, but I enjoy fixing them. Plus given the OPs prior postings I dont know that he really has a problem other than himself.

#47 11 years ago

BUB

Bub
Pinhead
pkp: 3,592 ♥
Little Elm, TX
1 vote
58 MINUTES AGO | # QUOTE | !! | IGNORE
STOP BUYING STERNS SHIT!!

Right, instead buy a bunch of old cheap crap that will require ten times the work. Great advice!

#48 11 years ago

I've only bought two NIB Sterns (and two used) and have never had a problem.

Thread is just chum for the Stern haters....

#49 11 years ago

Hello-

Mine has been broke for 2 weeks and still no drop target ledge from stern. I am gluing it together so we can play it tonight, I hope.

But having said that, I agree its part of the hobby. To someone not mechanically inclined, it would be a real bummer.

Brian Bannon's Hulk has been broke almost every day since he got it. Mine has been pretty good but this cheesy drop target ledge looks destin to break. You would hope they would build in more quality but, it is what it is and I still buy em.

#50 11 years ago

See, Doug.

I'm an engineer. I can't combine the idea of 'this cheesy drop target ledge looks destin to break' with 'it's part of the hobby'.

I think it's cool if you can, but I can't.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Backbox
PinWoofer

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/week-3-my-avengers-is-still-unplayable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.