(Topic ID: 286676)

Wedghead Start Button Light

By SteamVette

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

55F09312-9011-4D26-887C-A9A3CF3BDB0D (resized).jpeg
    DD9BE238-255E-45F8-BDDF-9FAD861A67CC (resized).jpeg
    59BA1C93-F1FC-42BC-863C-E435B7B44764 (resized).jpeg
    DSC06240 (resized).JPG
    1 - HTD lighted start button (resized).JPG
    2 - HTD lighted start button (resized).JPG
    483BDAD5-6D94-48EC-84D7-BB970F703713 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Hey all,

I decided to light my start Button on one of my machines to see if I like it. I’m not into Modifying my machines, but this was very easy to do and very easy to reverse back. I think my lineup will look good with the start Buttons all lite up. Anyone else like to do this?

483BDAD5-6D94-48EC-84D7-BB970F703713 (resized).jpeg483BDAD5-6D94-48EC-84D7-BB970F703713 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

picture of inside please

#3 3 years ago

More details please. I think this is a great idea.

#4 3 years ago

I’ll give more details and photos this evening.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

Hey all,
    I decided to light my start Button on one of my machines to see if I like it. I’m not into Modifying my machines, but this was very easy to do and very easy to reverse back. I think my lineup will look good with the start Buttons all lite up. Anyone else like to do this?
    [quoted image]

Yes...cool idea and I also lit up my Hit the Deck start button last week. The clear red button is there from the factory, so it was fairly easy to do. The metal inside cover behind the start button needs to be replaced with a clear one. A bayonet bracket was added and the wire leads were piggy backed to the second coin chute light.

Next up is lighting the flipper buttons.

1 - HTD lighted start button (resized).JPG1 - HTD lighted start button (resized).JPG2 - HTD lighted start button (resized).JPG2 - HTD lighted start button (resized).JPG
    #6 3 years ago

I have always wondered why these weren’t lit from the factory. They certainly appear from the outside like they should be.

#7 3 years ago

Yea Ive done this on my Neptune, PBR has the clear strap. Was temped to light the flipper buttons too but the plastic straps dont hold up there...

You'll want to use a socket with an insulated mounting tab as to not put 6volts on the metal door

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Yea Ive done this on my Neptune, PBR has the clear strap. Was temped to light the flipper buttons too but the plastic straps dont hold up there...
    You'll want to use a socket with an insulated mounting tab as to not put 6volts on the metal door

I thought about the flipper too. But decided not to. Yes, I did use the insulated light socket.

Jeff

#9 3 years ago

A 455 bulb would actually look pretty cool...as if to say “play me!”

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

I was thinking the same thing.....a flasher!

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

That’s a good idea. I might stick one in to see what it looks like. Not sure if 11 machines in a row would be to distracting..

#12 3 years ago

You could wire it back to your game over light so it is only on/flashing when not in play, kind of an attract more. Somewhat more complicated but doable. I did it on my alien star which flashes game over itself so just used a regular bulb and the game flashes it.

#13 3 years ago

Are using alligator clips?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

Hey all,
    [quoted image]

What a marvelous idea, especially if it's not a permanent mod (for the "purists"). I've got 2 Gottliebs that could easily be done. I'm betting my '75 Bally could be retro'd, too, if I can find a suitable pushbutton.

DSC06240 (resized).JPGDSC06240 (resized).JPG
    #15 3 years ago

Here is what I used. I really like the look. I tried using blinker bulbs but I found that the blinking was annoying from the top side shinning through the shooting rod area. The light would need to be shielded more.. I’ll stick with a regular bulb. I did have to bend my bulb holder to place it where I wanted. Very simple Mod and very easy to reverse back.

59BA1C93-F1FC-42BC-863C-E435B7B44764 (resized).jpeg59BA1C93-F1FC-42BC-863C-E435B7B44764 (resized).jpegDD9BE238-255E-45F8-BDDF-9FAD861A67CC (resized).jpegDD9BE238-255E-45F8-BDDF-9FAD861A67CC (resized).jpeg

55F09312-9011-4D26-887C-A9A3CF3BDB0D (resized).jpeg55F09312-9011-4D26-887C-A9A3CF3BDB0D (resized).jpeg
    #16 3 years ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

Here is what I used. I really like the look. I tried using blinker bulbs but I found that the blinking was annoying from the top side shinning through the shooting rod area. The light would need to be shielded more.. I’ll stick with a regular bulb. I did have to bend my bulb holder to place it where I wanted. Very simple Mod and very easy to reverse back.
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Do you know what the part number is for that socket?

Alberto

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

Do you know what the part number is for that socket?
    Alberto

third on the socket list DE-077-5031-00
    http://www.pbresource.com/sockets.html

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

I don't think that's the part he shows in his photo. His appears to be a lay-down bracket (it is insulated, tho).

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

PBR and Marco are out of stock on those clear straps. Happens almost every time somebody posts some new mod or fix idea that calls for certain special parts. Good biz for the suppliers, tho.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Yes. That’s the ones I use. I just bend them to my specs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wedghead-start-button-light?hl=gotemwill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.