Solar_City_5.jpg
Solar_City_4.jpg
Solar_City_3.jpg
Solar_City_2.jpg
Solar_City_1.jpg
Abra_3.jpg
Abra_2.jpg
Abra_1.jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

Solar City is the weakest link in the Target Alpha - El Dorado - Gold Strike - Canada Dry - Solar City chain, IMO. Gold Stike is the AAB, neat. LOVE the Surf Champ glass above, too!

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballMolly:

Solar City is the weakest link in the Target Alpha - El Dorado - Gold Strike - Canada Dry - Solar City chain, IMO. Gold Stike is the AAB, neat. LOVE the Surf Champ glass above, too!

Molly took the words right out of my mouth - only I'll add Target Alpha to the mix - both games are a snoozefest in my eyes. If you like to bang away at drop targets randomly with no real strategy, then go for it. Of the two games he is selling Abra Ca Dabra is clearly a better game.

I do have to say that is one good looking Solar City though.

Mike O.

#53 11 years ago

Getting back to the Wedgeheads, never discount the great ones form the early 60's, Slick Chick, Square Head, GiGi and Majorettes are all fantastic 2" flipper games.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I agree with the idea to play a bunch at a show if possible and find a few that you like and try to find one in good condition.
I have had a lot of wedgheads and now have most of what I want to keep, there are a few still on my wish list. anyone have something I'm looking in SE Pa area let me know
my current list
1963 Slick Chick
1964 Bowling Queen
1965 Bank A Ball
1966 Cross Town
1967 King of Diamonds
1967 Sing Along
1969 Target Pool
1971 2001
1971 4 Square
1972 Grand Slam
1974 Sky Jump
1975 Abra Ca Dabra
1975 Atlantis
1976 Sure Shot
1977 Jacks Open
Want list
1963 sweet hearts
1968 Domino
1970 Flip-A-Card
1971 drop a card
1972 Flying Carpet
1973 King pin
1975 El Dorado
1978 Strange World
1978 Hit the Deck

Some nice titles there. Some for me to think about especially Atlantis. No one has mentioned Fireball 1972? Thought it was meant to be a classic? Just wondering as played it recently.

And which ones are the most addictive, one more game type? Crosstown has that a lot!

#55 11 years ago

I am on my way, wish me luck.

#56 11 years ago

Good luck!
I started building a mini wedgehead line up this year and was lucky enough to find every title I wanted without too much hassle.
I picked up Centigrade 37 first and is probably my favorite of them all.
El Dorado, Spin Out and Volley are the others. Volley actually arrives today. Very fun game with lots of targets! Undervalued too at maybe $500?

$900 for Abra Cadabra seems a bit high, but you'll have to judge condition for yourself.
Few EMs in these parts command much more than $600-$700. Obviously there are a few exceptions.

I'm probably done for now as I want a couple of early SS to round out the collection (namely Black Hole and Joker Poker), but I would make room for a Jacks Open if the opportunity presented itself.

Have fun!

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Some nice titles there. Some for me to think about especially Atlantis. No one has mentioned Fireball 1972? Thought it was meant to be a classic? Just wondering as played it recently.

Fireball is not included because it is not a Gottlieb. So far, the discussion has been limited to Gottliebs. But I agree with you, Fireball is indeed a classic and well deserving of a spot in a collection of EMs.

Marcus

#58 11 years ago

Well, the backglass was gorgeous, a bit too much planking for $900 though. Offered $500, he didn't take it. Might offer $600 later down the road. Also the fiber board behind the head was totally gone. Ah well, you win some you lose some.

#59 11 years ago

You were smart to walk away from it.

#60 11 years ago

Bummer on the less than acceptable condition. Maybe the next one will work out.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Fireball is not included because it is not a Gottlieb. So far, the discussion has been limited to Gottliebs. But I agree with you, Fireball is indeed a classic and well deserving of a spot in a collection of EMs.
Marcus

Of course, silly me!

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Well, the backglass was gorgeous, a bit too much planking for $900 though. Offered $500, he didn't take it. Might offer $600 later down the road. Also the fiber board behind the head was totally gone. Ah well, you win some you lose some.

As it turns out I paid $500 for one (Abra Ca Dabra) that I have. Cabinet and backglass are excellent. Playfield has been modded and varnished. Seems to be of similar condition so your $500 was not out of line.

My benefit is that I have another one with an excellent playfield in it so I will be making the best one out of the two and selling of the leftover game.

Mike O.

#63 11 years ago

The one I picked up has a great BG only one small spot of paint missing, the playfield is great the back panel needs to be replaced. I will replace it once it gets warmer
I think I paid 225 or their about

abra.jpgabra.jpg

#64 11 years ago

the bg

abra_bg.jpgabra_bg.jpg

#65 11 years ago

Hey Boilerman,
Where are you? I haven't seen a deal like that for awhile! Rest of the cabinet good?

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

short flipper:

Could never get in to 2" flippers

#67 11 years ago

Im SE Pa and if you wait you can find deals but they are far a few between last few years a lot of people snag them just to flip or offer more than asking price to start the seller to ask for bids. I just walk. I only pay what I feel its worth, I have no problem paying a fair price but a good deal pops up from time to time. It helps if the machine doesn't work, EM if complete and unhacked CAN be fixed with little or no cost.
this machine has a broke bottom edge on the fiber board back opanel and the cabinet has some bumps and dings but the art is bright. I got it working 100% and folded it up due to lack of room. To many projects and not enough room.

abra_head.jpgabra_head.jpg abra_cab.jpgabra_cab.jpg

3 weeks later
#68 11 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

He also is selling a Solar City that looks pretty sweet.

Is there a single player version of Solar City?

#69 11 years ago

I love the art and feel of the wedges, just classic pinball. I'm always on the hunt for any wedges but my short list is:
atlantis
cent 37
el dorado
target alpha (not wedge)

I recently got a flip a card in real nice condition but had to take miss annabelle (wood rail) and roller coaster just to make the deal happen. I'll probably sell the other two just haven't had time.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Is there a single player version of Solar City?

There is only in layout. That would be El Dorado or Gold Strike here in the states. Lucky Strike is one more in the Italian market. Game play is totally different, though. ED And GS have it hands down over Solar City or Target Alpha for game play.

Mike O.
Team-EM

4 months later
#71 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Getting back to the Wedgeheads, never discount the great ones form the early 60's, Slick Chick, Square Head, GiGi and Majorettes are all fantastic 2" flipper games.

Totally agree! Just bought a Square Head and it's gettin lots a love!

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

I love the art and feel of the wedges, just classic pinball. I'm always on the hunt for any wedges but my short list is:
Atlantis
cent 37
el dorado

Looks like we'll be competing I finally decided to pull the trigger on an EM.

My criteria for an EM are:

Gottlieb
1 player
asymmetrical layout
3" flippers

After searching IPDB for those I came up with (suprise!)
1- Atlantis
2- Gold Strike/El Dorado
3- Centigrade 37

Shawn (former SS snob)

p.s. I would also love a 1961 Williams Space Ship, but that is mostly based on artwork.

#73 10 years ago

Kind of a redundant answer from the EM poll:

C37
Slick Chick
Sing Along

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

I have a "Sky Jump", and really like it. I like a good drop target game and this is it. I also have a 4 player "Target Alpha" and it is even more fun, not a wedge head but similar vintage. Fun to hear the bonus points add up after each ball, and the extra ball capability is a great feature.

I almost sprang for a nice 'Sky Jump' available locally, but put the cash towards my Blackout. Of course, I feel that I missed out on a nice pin. How do you like the gameplay? I hear that it's a real 'shooter's' table.

1 week later
#75 10 years ago

hi all, I am chiming in here late, but a great read on a topic I particularly enjoy

I have the following wedge heads ...

spin out
sky jump
buccaneer
elorado
centigrade 37

and just today purchased an abra cadabra!! (very excited although a bit of an impulse buy...)

I LOVE playing them all - they keep me coming back - all play very differently with varying layouts and shots ... not sure I could even pick a favorite .... dropping all the targets on Eldorado, or chasing its travelling lit bonus is great fun ... the simple spinner shot on Buccaneer feels great and hitting its 'round the world' (rolling up either the 8 or 9 and carrying over and rolling down the other) is also very satisfying ... chasing the elusive '4' on spin out is a blast ... and sky jump still spanks me more often than not!!!

cheers, Ron

#76 10 years ago

Wow, no one has listed volley? It is one of my favorite wedge heads from the 70's.
3 banks of drop targets, 3 pop bumpers. Give one a play or 3 if you can.

#77 10 years ago

Volley is a great player, it isn't a special fest though. Once you light the special and hit it you have to start over with the drops again to light again. unlike say 2001 once you light the special you can bang away the specials
there are only a few wedgeheads that are dogs. the others are either great or good, so you really can't go wrong IMO

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Looks like we'll be competing I finally decided to pull the trigger on an EM.
My criteria for an EM are:
Gottlieb1 playerasymmetrical layout3" flippers
After searching IPDB for those I came up with (suprise!)1- Atlantis2- Gold Strike/El Dorado3- Centigrade 37
Shawn (former SS snob)
p.s. I would also love a 1961 Williams Space Ship, but that is mostly based on artwork.

I have had all three in my sights a few times but could not make any deals. I'll eventually find them, the hunt is what keeps me in the hobby.

#79 10 years ago

She's Alive! Love it when threads come back from the dead especially if they're mine, lol.
So far still no Wedgies for me although I did find a Surf Champ that I absolutely adore.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Staunton, VA
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hedgesville, WV
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wedgeheads/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.