(Topic ID: 215908)

Wedgeheads. Playability? I have room for a few more.

By SteamVette

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180501_105933 (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

Hey All. I have room for about 8 Wedgheads. I'm starting to upgrade my machines. So whats the best playable machines out there? I'm just interested in fun playable machines and not machines you are emotionally attached to. Unfortunately I have not played them all so that's why I'm asking. If I can only have 8 I want them to be fun games.

I have El Dorado, Sure Shot, Royal Guard and abra Ca Dabra ill probable keep them as I like the way they play. My others will probable be used as trading/selling.

Thanks,
    Jeff

#2 11 months ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

Hey All. I have room for about 8 Wedgheads. I'm starting to upgrade my machines. So whats the best playable machines out there? I'm just interested in fun playable machines and not machines you are emotionally attached to. Unfortunately I have not played them all so that's why I'm asking. If I can only have 8 I want them to be fun games.
    I have El Dorado, Sure Shot, Royal Guard and abra Ca Dabra ill probable keep them as I like the way they play. My others will probable be used as trading/selling.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Well this is going to get you a ton of different opinions, but Atlantis is a fantastic player, as is King Pin. Jacks Open/Lucky Hand are also a ton of fun and keep you coming back.

#3 11 months ago

Here's a few

60's
    Kings & Queens
    North Star
    King of Diamonds

70's
    Atlantis
    Jacks Open
    Target Pool

#4 11 months ago

If you are looking for 8, you will likely take mostly what you can get until the space is filled up, unless they are easier to find in Kansas than Michigan.

That said:
    Subway
    Volley
    Ship Ahoy/Buccaneer
    Slick Chick
    Sky Jump
    Skyline
    Sing Along
    Kings and Queens
    Flipper Parade
    Cross Town
    King of Diamonds
    Target Pool
    Drop a Card
    Top Card
    Cent 37

Plus others that will soon chime in.

#5 11 months ago

Plus, I agree with Hoov and Golden Boy (I don't love Atlantis, but so many people do, that there must be something there)

#6 11 months ago

king of diamonds
    target pool
    volley
    jacks open

was at a friends place last week, and he has pins from wedgheads up to the hobbit. spent the most time playing target pool.

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

If you are looking for 8, you will likely take mostly what you can get until the space is filled up, unless they are easier to find in Kansas than Michigan.
    That said:
    Subway
    Volley
    Ship Ahoy/Buccaneer
    Slick Chick
    Sky Jump
    Skyline
    Sing Along
    Kings and Queens
    Flipper Parade
    Cross Town
    King of Diamonds
    Target Pool
    Drop a Card
    Top Card
    Cent 37
    Plus others that will soon chime in.

I currently have 7 working machines. I have flipper clown thats fun to play and really nice shape but I don't play that one much. Bank a ball is cool but I would rather play shure shot. I do have Volley and it is a fun game.

#9 11 months ago

Volley is getting a lot of love lately. Fun title but not too common to find in great shape. Either way my favorite 3 wedgeheads are:
    -Atlantis
    -Jacks Open/Lucky Hand
    -Abra/Team One

#10 11 months ago

Captain Card
    Top card

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Here's a few
    60's
    Kings & Queens
    North Star
    King of Diamonds
    70's
    Atlantis
    Jacks Open
    Target Pool

Add Volley to my list

#12 11 months ago

I'd pick 2001. It's such a fun game. Simple rules but definitely has that one-more game factor.

#13 11 months ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

I don't love Atlantis, but so many people do, that there must be something there

Atlantis is brilliant because it’s one of the few games that awards you for aiming between drop targets. It’s very satisfying.

It also feels like if White Water was made in the 70s. Instead of making your way through rafts, you have to nudge and aim your way through the numbers to get to the special.

It’s an all around great game, imho. C37 is excellent as well: fill that thermometer up!

My (somewhat unpopular) opinion though: wedgeheads are great and all, but I think multiplayer games are better, even if the rules aren’t as “deep.” The added competition factor with friends really makes multiplayer games a TON of fun.

#14 11 months ago

I picked up a Slick Chick two weeks ago and I can say that it is one of my favorite pin purchases to date. The rules are fairly straight forward, (Spell two words -in order- via pop bumpers) but the extra targets that complete the words for you provide a really good risk-reward scenario.

With the flippers so far apart, you have to decide to just let it rip and take a pot shot at a bumper, or try to control the ball and take an aimed shot at a target.

Every time you complete "Slick Chick", one of the mushroom rollovers goes from 1 point to 10 points. Once you complete it three times, the slings go from 1 point to 10 points. Complete it 5 times and it lights the center hole for a special.

And that center hole, so much love-hate. It's awesome.

#15 11 months ago

I would add C37, Atlantis and Jacks Open to your line up.

#16 11 months ago

Royal Guard and Apollo were the most fun EMs I played of the ones I had time to play at the PHOF.

I didn't have time to play KOD, Atlantis etc, hopefully next time.

#17 11 months ago

A plug for SweetHearts, hard game to master!

#18 11 months ago

2001, Volley, Atlantis and Top Card seem to get played the most. Any addition to my collection would be another machine with drop targets. Abra Ca Dabra, Centigrade 37, El Dorado, King Pin to name a few.

#19 11 months ago

I like Team One over Abracadabra. There was something about the yellow I didn't like on Abracadabra.

However, I also have my TO on novelty play, which is a freaking blast. This is the first game I tried it on that I actually loved it. Much more fun because it's 3 balls, and the points are crazy. The knocker goes nuts at each 50k shot.

#20 11 months ago

The only wedgehead besides Abra Ca Dabra I've owned personally so I could really evaluate long term value is Sky Jump, and I enjoyed it a lot, fun game.

#21 11 months ago

I love wedge heads. Being one player games with progressive rules, they bring Specials into play more than a normal game. I play them as if I am in an arcade pumping quarters. In other words I go for high scores and/or specials depending on how the game is progressing. Hearing multiple cracks in one game never gets old.

That said, here are some of my favorites:

Volley and 2001 are my favorites.

Centigrade 37
    Atlantis
    Central Park
    Abra Ca Dabra
    Flip a Card
    Target Pool

#22 11 months ago

I have mainly AABs, and when I needed a break, the last couple days I've been
    going to the Diamond Jack. Not officially a Wedge Head, but a well tuned
    Hearts and Spades is a nice player, and I'll always sneak in a game on Subway
    along with quite a few others..
    J.P is almost a daily thing, but that's a 4 player..

#23 11 months ago

Volley, of course. I can't believe no one has mentioned Four Square yet.

#24 11 months ago

Flip a Card ... maybe consider a Williams game too.

#25 11 months ago

Thanks for all the input folks.. Looks like Atlantis and C37 will be on my hunt list.

Jeff

#26 11 months ago

"King of Diamonds". This one is coming with me to Pinfest.

20180501_105933 (resized).jpg

#27 11 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

"King of Diamonds". This one is coming with me to Pinfest.

Very nice jr

#28 11 months ago

I think it would be a mistake to only limit yourself to GTB wedgeheads.
    There are many reverse wedgeheads from Williams that are equally as fun to play,
    like Heat Wave and TradeWinds and King Pin.

#29 11 months ago

Would go 2 wedgies, 2 two-player, two wms ems, and two EM games (gun, otherwise).

Atlantis (fun when set up right)
    Spin-A-Card (fun period, kids love this game)

Super Spin (lots of gadgets to shoot at)
    Snow Derby (spinners and chicks on sleds)

4 Roses (Not a great game, but classic and BG is wonderful)
    Hot Line (Fun fishing themed game, and is hard)

Gun Games... Go to the PHoF as he has a rifle games on the floor to consider.

and if you must have just 8 wedgies as you originally mentioned...

1. Central Park
    2. Atlantis
    3. World Fair (great looking game)
    4. North Star (great looking game)
    5. Abra Ca Dabra
    6. Subway
    7. Jacks Open
    8. Sing Along

and as options in case above are hard to find where you are at...

9. Buccaneer
    10. King of Diamonds.

Good luck finding them all in original mint!

#30 11 months ago

Have to toss my favorite Wedge Head into the mix. The sadly under rated 4 Square. Nothing like getting all 4 rows of 4 lit, then hitting the special targets. Second choice, is Drop a Card - much more challenging than it looks.

#31 11 months ago

Of the ones I have owned Majorettes was my favorite. It's probably a contender for my all time favorite game.

#32 11 months ago

Of the several I have owned, Fun Park remains and still gets occasional play. Flipper was another good one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 44.00
    $ 19.95
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 89.99
    $ 5,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 64.00
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside