Solar_City_5.jpg
Solar_City_4.jpg
Solar_City_3.jpg
Solar_City_2.jpg
Solar_City_1.jpg
Abra_3.jpg
Abra_2.jpg
Abra_1.jpg
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

If you had a choice of any wedgehead, which one would you buy? I think I need an em.

#2 11 years ago

You need to get out and play them! Each one is totally different in feel.

I've got a four square myself.

#3 11 years ago

I agree but don't have the luxury. Saw a real nice Abra Ca Dabra for sale the other day still kicking myself for not going and checking it out.

#4 11 years ago

I really enjoy my Sky Jump, but like modern games, there can be a huge difference between titles. That said most every wedgie I have played has been pretty awesome. They are well regarded as being good games in general, so in your case I might just go by theme and availability. Another nice thing is EMs in general are usually pretty cheap, so it's not a huge investment. Be careful...the art, amazing engineering, sounds (relays, reels, bells), and even smell can make them just as addicting as modern machines!

Once you get a taste, you just might want more...especially if you branch out to the wonderful world of EM arcade machines. I just added a Hockey Champ head-to-head table to my little collection which now includes a puck bowler, Junkyard crane game, and two EM pins. Someday an EM shooting gallery game will be mine...and maybe a flying game...and a pitch & bat...and...and...etc! Such cool machines!
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/index.htm

It's a slippery slope man...slippery slope...

#5 11 years ago

If you decide to go the Gottlieb Wedgehead route, I recommend finding an Add A Ball (AAB).

Here are some names of some very fun AAB Games in alphabetical order.

Capt Card (AAB Version of High Hand)
Diamond Jack (AAB Version of King Of Diamonds)
Dimension (AAB Version of "2001")
Gold Strike (AAB Version of El Dorado)
Melody (AAB Version of Sing Along)
Team One (AAB Version of Abra Ca Dabra)

I personally own Capt. Card, Melody & Team One. I would LOVE to own a Dimension and Gold Strike to round out my AAB Collection.

Marcus

#6 11 years ago

Centigrade 37. I've owned it for years and its staying.

Kim

#7 11 years ago

long flipper:

Jacks Open
Sky Jump
El Dorado
Jack in the Box

short flipper:

Target Pool
Sing Along

#8 11 years ago

Totally backing Mr. 68 on the Cent37; that's the best. I have a Sing Along I adore, a Cross Town I also adore (that's my "kitchen game") and a Bank a Ball; they're all great. I am a fan of the Abra ca Dabra, too.

Any really? No mention of the Slick Chick?

#10 11 years ago

Meh,

I've got two of the three I've targeted and they will never leave...

C37
Atlantis

still looking for a nice Abra Ca Dabra, too bad you missed out on that one.

cheers,

rody

#11 11 years ago

Just about any wedgehead would be a good choice. I agree with Xerico, an AAB would be more
fun for home use. Personally, I like the '65 Bank a ball, as well as the '76 Sure Shot. It took me a while to find a restorable Abra Ca Dabra, something about that purple ink on the backglass made it hard to find a decent BG.

Art

#12 11 years ago

I have a "Sky Jump", and really like it. I like a good drop target game and this is it. I also have a 4 player "Target Alpha" and it is even more fun, not a wedge head but similar vintage. Fun to hear the bonus points add up after each ball, and the extra ball capability is a great feature.

#13 11 years ago

+1 on Jacks Open. I would love to have an Atlantis but let the only good example around me slip through my fingers. Maybe next time. If it's for artwork then centigrade 37 or four square.

#14 11 years ago

Guys, you're awesome!
I think I'll be after C37, Atlantis, AbraCa Dabra, Gold Strike and Jacks Open from now on.
Hope it doesn't take too long...
Any thing to watch for maintenance wise?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballMolly:

Totally backing Mr. 68 on the Cent37; that's the best. I have a Sing Along I adore, a Cross Town I also adore (that's my "kitchen game") and a Bank a Ball; they're all great. I am a fan of the Abra ca Dabra, too.
Any really? No mention of the Slick Chick?

Cross Town is awesome! Had it for 4 years and miss it a lot and so far never found an EM that is so addictive. Trying to line up the lights to get the 300 points and repeating a few times is a real rush

#16 11 years ago

Cross town added.
How much should I pay for these guys? Do they differ between games like most pins?

#17 11 years ago

Guess what? Abra Ca Dabra is back up for grabs and with a price drop! It looks to be in great shape but he still wants $900?!? Going to see it tomorrow, I'll keep you guys updated. What should I offer?

#18 11 years ago

Pics for reference

Abra_1.jpgAbra_1.jpg Abra_2.jpgAbra_2.jpg Abra_3.jpgAbra_3.jpg

#19 11 years ago

Also, do you guys think it'll fit into my subaru outback?

#20 11 years ago

That Abra Ca Dabra looks slimilar conditionwise to the one in my queue. Depends on how bad you want it. If totally shopped and playing solid and the cosmetics are all clean, especially the backglass, $900 isn't out of the question. It would take more than that to pry mine away from me.

Looks like the rubbers are old so it probably could use a shopping. Less than $900 should not be too difficult negotiate to.

We're pinball people, everything is negotiable.

Yes, it will break down and fit in your Outback.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#21 11 years ago

Thanks Mike, The pics were takin before the shop job. I was thinking of offering $750

#22 11 years ago

As to the original poster's question, there are many wedgeheads that are great. My favorite desert island game is Atlantis. It has the best of everything that is great about wedgeheads:
- assymetrical playfield
- four ways to advance through the 1-9 sequence.
- four ways to win special once you have advanced through 9.
- only drop target game to award 10 times value when two adjacent drops are hit.
- gorgeous classic 70's artwork.
- easy to understand - difficult to master.

Lots of other games are great as well that others have recommended:
- El Dorado/Gold Strike
- Jacks Open/Lucky Hand
- Sky Jump
- Centigrade 37
- Drop a Card
- Kings & Queens
- Bank A Ball
- Capt. Card
- Slick Chick
- Ice Revue
- Cross Town
- Abra Ca Dabra

Good Luck in your search.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Thanks Mike, The pics were takin before the shop job. I was thinking of offering $750

If the backglass is as nice as it looks that will be amazing. The art on Abra Ca Dabra has a tendency to flake as much as any of them do.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#24 11 years ago

He says it's been in his house for 25 years, I have high hopes.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Also, do you guys think it'll fit into my subaru outback?

I fit every game I ever bought in my Prius, even Space Invaders/Embryon. Certainly got me some weird looks but hey, gas savings.

I also think $900 isn't out of the question for an Abra ca Dabra with that vibrant red/purple...I've seen several of them just blown waaaaay out for $500, even $700.

For your reference, I paid:

Cross Town: $700, an absolute beauty but covered in freakin wood paneling (since removed)
Bank a Ball: $350, sorta beat up, missing 3 pool balls in the head, crazy reprinted cab with some kind of meth-addled spray-webbing maniac
Sing Along: $500, prettiest backglass I've ever seen orig, a stunner playfield, and a cabinet painted enameled red all the way down to the leg levelers (sad trombone sound)

#26 11 years ago

I fit every game I ever bought in my Prius, even Space Invaders/Embryon. Certainly got me some weird looks but hey, gas savings.
I also think $900 isn't out of the question for an Abra ca Dabra with that vibrant red/purple...I've seen several of them just blown waaaaay out for $500, even $700.
For your reference, I paid:
Cross Town: $700, an absolute beauty but covered in freakin wood paneling (since removed)Bank a Ball: $350, sorta beat up, missing 3 pool balls in the head, crazy reprinted cab with some kind of meth-addled spray-webbing maniacSing Along: $500, prettiest backglass I've ever seen orig, a stunner playfield, and a cabinet painted enameled red all the way down to the leg levelers (sad trombone sound)

Molly,

Saw the video of your collection last night and was quite impressed. You have accumulated quite the eclectic combination of games. They fit well. Even more impressive is your draw to EM's. What is it about Jungle Queen that makes it your favorite EM? I'm just finishing up a shop job on my Jungle Princess and am looking forward to some quality play time on it.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#27 11 years ago

Say what??? You mean I could have been using my freakin car the whole time?
I bought a shitty old toyota last summer just to haul pins, just can't use it right now cuz it's way too icey. Ima sell that thing chicken louie. Booyah more pin cash!!!

Just checked out Sing Along, you are right she is a beauty.

#28 11 years ago

$900 seems a bit high to me. In this instance, showing the seller the Boston Pinball eBay price guide may be beneficial to your negotiation. It lists the 5 year average at $593 and this last year's at just under $700. As Molly mentioned, if the colors are nice and vibrant and it is recently shopped and working 100% paying more than average may be worth it. Your $750 offer sounds good.

Art.

#29 11 years ago

I agree with the idea to play a bunch at a show if possible and find a few that you like and try to find one in good condition.
I have had a lot of wedgheads and now have most of what I want to keep, there are a few still on my wish list. anyone have something I'm looking in SE Pa area let me know

my current list
1963 Slick Chick
1964 Bowling Queen
1965 Bank A Ball
1966 Cross Town
1967 King of Diamonds
1967 Sing Along
1969 Target Pool
1971 2001
1971 4 Square
1972 Grand Slam
1974 Sky Jump
1975 Abra Ca Dabra
1975 Atlantis
1976 Sure Shot
1977 Jacks Open

Want list
1963 sweet hearts
1968 Domino
1970 Flip-A-Card
1971 drop a card
1972 Flying Carpet
1973 King pin
1975 El Dorado
1978 Strange World
1978 Hit the Deck

#30 11 years ago

He also is selling a Solar City that looks pretty sweet.

Solar_City_1.jpgSolar_City_1.jpg Solar_City_2.jpgSolar_City_2.jpg Solar_City_3.jpgSolar_City_3.jpg

#31 11 years ago

Couple More. He's asking $1200

Solar_City_4.jpgSolar_City_4.jpg Solar_City_5.jpgSolar_City_5.jpg

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I agree with the idea to play a bunch at a show if possible and find a few that you like and try to find one in good condition.

I agree, just not too many shows around here I'm afraid.

#33 11 years ago

I guess I am spoiled with the York and allentown shows only 1 hr away from me. I have played some great games at shows I other wise would have never had the chance to play.

#34 11 years ago

I think Solar City is the better player but both are good. I would swap out all the black rubber for white rubber, though.

Maybe he'll make you a deal for both!

#35 11 years ago

I have never owned an EM. In general, do they require more upkeep or repairs than DMD era machines?

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I have never owned an EM. In general, do they require more upkeep or repairs than DMD era machines?

Good question, also is there anything to look for problem wise before purchase?

#37 11 years ago

the abra ca dabra cabinet has a fiber board back panel. It isn't uncommon for it to be busted and misssing chunks and check under the cabinet for holes
EM machines once cleaned and adjusted run without much fuss just play them

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

EM machines once cleaned and adjusted run without much fuss just play them

Yeah, I have heard they don't like to sit unplayed. Not an issue around here; it would get plenty of exercise.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Molly,
Saw the video of your collection last night and was quite impressed. You have accumulated quite the eclectic combination of games. They fit well. Even more impressive is your draw to EM's. What is it about Jungle Queen that makes it your favorite EM? I'm just finishing up a shop job on my Jungle Princess and am looking forward to some quality play time on it.
Mike O.
Team-EM

Hi Mike! Thanks for the kind words, most people around here are burly LEDed-out A-title private collector types, and I got so bored of it that I thought I'd try something different...a location full of C titles, haha. What a hoot it's been!

I wouldn't say JQ is my absolute favorite EM, but it's definitely one of my faves in my collection, which is funny because I generally don't care for symmetrical games all that much. My Queen is a beaut, though, and my favorite thing about the game is this: there's so much talk about gender in the hobby, and oooh look there's an actual girl playing, and all that...it gets tiresome. Well, pinball art was designed to attract guys. There's more attention paid to boob and butt rendering than there is any other part of the artwork package in most cases! Jungle Queen, while scantily clad, is still a strong and powerful tough broad, very regal and bold, and not slutty! I just love how she looks like a leader, instead of...you know..."oh help me cowboy, my boobs are too big" or whatever so many other backglass ladies have going on.

Black Rose is like this, too! Scant duds, but a tough chick!

#40 11 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I could stare at the Nitro Ground Shaker lady's boobs all day, I just tend to lean toward things that fall into the "something different" category!

#41 11 years ago

I have always been partial to this backglass

Backglass2.jpgBackglass2.jpg

#42 11 years ago

Stange World looks pretty cool. Thanks for mentioning that one. Wedgeheads on my list are Sure Shot, Volley, and Tropic Isle.

#43 11 years ago

EM once set up last for years. Txstargazer get one and ill help you get it going

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

EM once set up last for years. Txstargazer get one and ill help you get it going

Thanks! I'll give them a close look at TPF. I'm also looking to stash a few bucks towards The Hobbit.

#45 11 years ago

If the Abra is shopped and really that nice, price seems fair. I just sold mine with very minor flaking on the Wizard's ascot touched up for more than that (playfield was perfect). Solar City is another game I restored. Don't think that much of it but looks cool. Eldorado (also just sold) is a better game.

#46 11 years ago

Negotiation points on that Solar City- see current price averages (lower than his asking) Sling plastics broken on ends and poor touch ups on insert keylines (black circles around inserts)

#47 11 years ago

I've always liked this backglass as well, although I've never seen it in person.

Surf_Champ.jpgSurf_Champ.jpg

#48 11 years ago

I am partial to Target Alpha and it's fairly easy to find and affordable. I really like the artwork. It's basically the same as the aforementioned El Dorado and Solar City.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Negotiation points on that Solar City- see current price averages (lower than his asking) Sling plastics broken on ends and poor touch ups on insert keylines (black circles around inserts)

Good Eye! Think I'm just sticking with Abra Ca Dabra for now. Dude has a Haunted House too that I need to stay away from or I'm coming home broke.

#50 11 years ago

Agreed, TA has a better art package than Solar City-which cheaped out and recyled the plastics artwork with different colors from the Alpha!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Venice, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Birmingham, AL
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wedgeheads and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.