Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JReedie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

So after fully restoring a Road Race I plugged it in for the very first time hoping for it to work after spending 3 months cleaning and adjusting everything and it's not having some strange startup problems.

I power on and the game tilts. The coin chute switch does nothing and neither does the start button. If I manually press the S (Start relay) the score motor starts turning and locks on. Reels don't reset or anything.

Just now I put a 1 on each score reel to check they were resetting. The 1000 reel reset to 0 and the other 3 didn't move. Now whenever I power on the game the TB (tilt relay) trips and if I try to reset it it clicks itself back on.

I'm massively stressing as I'm supposed to be taking this machine to a show this weekend so any help will be massively appreciated as this is my first wedgehead and I'm a total noob

James

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from JReedie:

Now whenever I power on the game the TB (tilt relay) trips and if I try to reset it it clicks itself back on.

I'd start here. The TB relay is likely firing because one of the (4?) tilt switches is closed or shorted. The schematic will tell you how many there are but you'll have to hunt them down in the game. Don't just check the switches themselves. Also check for bent solder tabs, solder blobs, bare wires or anything else that could close the circuit to the TB relay.

The tilt switches likely include the tilt plumb bob, several slam switches on the playfield, cabinet board, coin door, etc., possibly a rolling ball tilt, etc.

/Mark

#3 4 years ago

Score reels now reset correctly, checked them all and the runout switches were not quite making contact and was stopping them from resetting. Reels now reset to 0000 and then the score motor stays powered on.

Checked the tilt switches in the backbox and playfield they're open. The plumbob and ball tilt are disconnected for now, and the slam switches on the coin door and relay board are both closed

#4 4 years ago

Looking at a different schematic since I don't have that one. Check the make/break on your Hold relay for cleanliness and solid contact.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from JReedie:

the slam switches on the coin door and relay board are both closed

Your schematic would tell you for sure, but the slam switches might be normally open, not normally closed. Does the TB relay relax if you slip a piece of paper between the contacts of each of the closed slam switches?

#6 4 years ago

The issues seem to be very intermittent. At the moment the coin chute and start buttons so not do anything. If I manually press the start relay in the score reels all reset to 0, the ball unit resets and then the score motor will continue to run but nothing else happens.

The make/break on the hold relay is clean and working correctly. And all tilt switches are adjusted as correct in the schematic

#7 4 years ago

Check the circuit for the Ball Return solenoid. It should fire once the score reels have reset. It probably has switches on the Out Hole or Ball Return relay, Reset Complete relay and on the Score Motor.

Find the Start button on your schematic. What relay should it fire? Check the reset of the switches in that path.

#8 4 years ago

Coin chute and start button are now working. Where I removed the lockout coil the 2 orange wires had separated so no power was going to those 2 switches, my own fault.

I can now get the game to reset most of the time, quite often though the 100s reel won't reset or even try to reset, will check the runout switches again, having a right nightmare with the cams on the decagon units

#9 4 years ago

Still occasionally getting caught up during a reset. Reels are all saying 0000 and the score motor continues to run. Any assistance would really be appreciated. Only have 2 days to get this machine ready

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wedgehead-startup-issues?hl=jreedie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.