000-pins3 (resized).jpg
000-pins83 (resized).jpg
IMG_3530 (resized).JPG
IMG_3529 (resized).JPG
20160913_092814_resized (resized).jpg
20160913_092748_resized (resized).jpg
merge2 copy (resized).jpg
DCP_1012 (resized).JPG
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Here's my webbing of the day. The game Im restoring was heavily webbed (could see under the legs) so I figured why not. Seems both Bank a ball and FP were heavily webbed. Seems like every game I get are painted chocolate brown eh JR?

20160911_152205_resized (resized).jpg20160911_152205_resized (resized).jpg

20160911_152156_resized (resized).jpg20160911_152156_resized (resized).jpg

20160911_152139_resized (resized).jpg20160911_152139_resized (resized).jpg

IMG_0934 (resized).JPGIMG_0934 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

And Pimp stencils awaiting

20160908_120623_resized (resized).jpg20160908_120623_resized (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Very nice webbing work, Ken.

I am looking forward to seeing photos of the final product!

#4 7 years ago

What's your method? Details please...

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Here's my webbing of the day. The game Im restoring was heavily webbed (could see under the legs) so I figured why not. Seems both Bank a ball and FP were heavily webbed. Seems like every game I get are painted chocolate brown eh JR?

I love how they combated the flaking. The new story:

The blonde is laughing because that guy is aiming at nothing and he's clearly clueless.

Also, GREAT job!

#6 7 years ago

Yeah I recognize that toboggan I bought that in 1978..... & I Still got it

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I have a nice chocolate brown "Fun Park" stashed way back in the shed if you're interested!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Yeah I recognize that toboggan I bought that in 1978..... & I Still got it

you fail to ask...
why does a guy from texas have a toboggan?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

why does a guy from texas have a toboggan?

Just in case..... http://news.utexas.edu/2011/02/07/texas-tobogganing

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I have a nice chocolate brown "Fun Park" stashed way back in the shed if you're interested!

Brown or not, if it were Fun Land I'd be all over you for that! What a pretty game with a nice theme.

Once I have more money I may be interested anyways... of course if he doesn't want it.

(or Christmas is coming soon, Joe... Just kidding)

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Brown or not, if it were Fun Land I'd be all over you for that! What a pretty game with a nice theme.
Once I have more money I may be interested anyways... of course if he doesn't want it.
(or Christmas is coming soon, Joe... Just kidding)

Its all yours. I wonder if UPS would give me a deal

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from emguy:

What's your method? Details please...

As to technique I use a small touchup sprayer from HF, spray the Krylon webbing (now call marbleizing) material (first) into the reservoir and the add a touch of lac thinner to cut it to the desired consistancy. Test spraying to check and adding more thinner etc. Abouth 60 lbs on the compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-up-air-spray-gun-66871.html

kry (resized).JPGkry (resized).JPG

#13 7 years ago

first side completed, I think Im going to redo the orange to a more brilliant color

20160912_204104_resized (resized).jpg20160912_204104_resized (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

As to technique I use a small touchup sprayer from HF, spray the Krylon webbing (now call marbleizing) material (first) into the reservoir and the add a touch of lac thinner to cut it to the desired consistancy. Test spraying to check and adding more thinner etc. Abouth 60 lbs on the compressor.
http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-up-air-spray-gun-66871.html

LOL, nice spelling there by Krylon.

Ken, 60 psi on the gun, but what kind of settings on the gun itself. I'm considering going to this method when I do Sky Jump.

#15 7 years ago

I came here looking for the web ring of the day. I miss web rings.

#16 7 years ago

Very nice! Be proud of that one.

#17 7 years ago

Ken does spectacular work. I need to get in the que with my '64 Ship Mates at some point.

#18 7 years ago

Did my first webbing last weekend on a Mibs - used Ken's technique.

HF touch up gun ($13-25%)with a added cheap-o plastic regulator ($3) and moisture filter ($3)
Lacquer Thinner (@HD- $13 gal.)
Montana Black $pider $pray Paint ($8 small can) - couldn't find any Krylon, spayed into reservoir (maybe an ounce) and added almost the same amount of thinner
3 gallon compressor @ 60psi

Previously primed/painted base coat. After final coat was barely dry to touch I mixed the webbing and practiced bursts on cardboard. Saw what I wanted with gun about 6 inches from surface using very short blasts, everything wide open. Moved directly to cab. Could do the entire head before the tiny compressor kicked on.

Beautiful very fine webbing nearly identical to what I saw on the 'protected areas'. Tried a few longer bursts and had a slightly thicker strand similar to that on my 72 Grand Slam. On the new paint it 'melted' in slightly and adhered well.

When I decided to paint this cab, webbing was my greatest concern. I envisioned attempt, fail, sand, paint again, try webbing again, repeat also didn't think my 3 gallon was going to cut it -- when it looked so good on the first shot I nearly ----.

I just need to fig a better less messy way to get the paint into the gun's reservoir

#19 7 years ago

The PaintShop series of acrylic lacquers from Dupli-Color creates nice webbing. They have jet black and bright silver options. You can find it at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $25. Amazon sells it, too.

Dupli-Color PaintShopDupli-Color PaintShop

The trick is that this stuff is "ready to spray" so you have to let some of the solvents evaporate before it will stream out of your gun in a webbed pattern. I pour a small amount (maybe 4 ounces) into a mason jar and let it sit overnight. When you put it in your gun, you might need to re-add lacquer thinner to obtain just the right consistency. Have lots of scrap cardboard on hand to test.

#20 7 years ago

Great job!

#21 7 years ago

ok, I reapplied the stencils and redid with a "Bright Orange", better

merge (resized).jpgmerge (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

ok, I reapplied the stencils and redid with a "Bright Orange", better

yep.

#23 7 years ago

that toboggan pic was taken in Connectucut

#24 7 years ago

Just sanded my Flipper Pool 60-100. Next Bondo, then 100-150-220-420 I contacted Jeff from Pinball Pimp and I'm going that route .

Every time I spray Krylon or Montana into that HF reservoir I get rubberized crap stuck to the side of the canister

#25 7 years ago

Just sanded my Flipper Pool 60-100. Next Bondo, then 100-150-220-420 I contacted Jeff from Pinball Pimp and I'm going that route .
Every time I spray Krylon or Montana into that HF reservoir I get rubberized crap stuck to the side of the canister

Krylon first, have the tip of the sprayer on the lip of the reservoir. Then add the lac thinner, add a little, test add a little more etc

#26 7 years ago

that toboggan pic was taken in Connectucut

Come on we get an inch of snow once every three years in Dallas, its cute seeing the foot high snowman up and down the street. If a home doesnt have kids we steal their snow

Here's 2004

DCP_1006 (resized).JPGDCP_1006 (resized).JPG

DCP_1012 (resized).JPGDCP_1012 (resized).JPG

#27 7 years ago

The Bright Orange looks nice!

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I have a chocolate brown "Spin a Card" back there too if I recall correctly. My brother has another brown "Diamond Jack" too. I've come across many brown painted over games over the years. I think it was to camouflage the machines against the very common brown paneling used in many basements years ago. That way, the wives wouldn't complain too much about their hubby's addition to the basement.

#29 7 years ago

IPDB on the left, almost finished head on right. Certainly head on right more heavily webbed...some games did have a lot of webbing.

merge2 copy (resized).jpgmerge2 copy (resized).jpg

#30 7 years ago

Here's an original BaB (in the paint que), that was pretty heavily webbed

20160913_092748_resized (resized).jpg20160913_092748_resized (resized).jpg

20160913_092814_resized (resized).jpg20160913_092814_resized (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago

I think the heavily webbed look is cool. As long as you have a good assortment and not ALL your games are like that it would probably look great!

#32 7 years ago

Wasn't the webbing on Bank a Ball & Flipper Pool a dark blue? That was my recollection and your photo above seems to confirm that. It may be that because it wasn't black, they put more on to get a similar effect. My personal preference is for more subtle webbing. It's interesting how different these games look with the light blue base color instead of the light green seen on almost all of the games found in the wild.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Wasn't the webbing on Bank a Ball & Flipper Pool a dark blue? That was my recollection and your photo above seems to confirm that. It may be that because it wasn't black, they put more on to get a similar effect. My personal preference is for more subtle webbing. It's interesting how different these games look with the light blue base color instead of the light green seen on almost all of the games found in the wild.

BaB certainly was. FP in the example I had was black webbing

#34 7 years ago

Man, I hope I can get close to that good on my Masquerade restore!
How come no one has reproduced that process in a modern format?
Everything about webbing is scary!
I can get it using a faulty spray can, but not on purpose!

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Man, I hope I can get close to that good on my Masquerade restore!
How come no one has reproduced that process in a modern format?
Everything about webbing is scary!
I can get it using a faulty spray can, but not on purpose!

Yer local, bring it over and I'll do it for you, takes 15 minutes. I'll even let you do it

#36 7 years ago

I'll be spraying my FP probably this weekend stencils are ordered . Yes BAB had blue webbing but FP has black and its much heavier than other games from 1965 , ( Cowpoke, Pleasure Isle have thin webbing on
My examples)

2 months later
#37 7 years ago

Everyone seems to have their technique but after many experiments I've founds only lacquer products work.

IMG_3529 (resized).JPGIMG_3529 (resized).JPG

IMG_3530 (resized).JPGIMG_3530 (resized).JPG

#38 7 years ago

I second the lacquers...shot from a wide open Harbor Freight gravity-fed touch-up gun (the cheapest they have). I have not restored a game with heavy web yet, like the original examples above.

Here are some close-ups of a WMS Heat Wave and GTB 2001 I did last month, with light webbing. Admittedly, original has longer web strands, but I'm happy with my results, which I'd classify as "unobtrusive" to the original artwork while maintaining the spirit of the webbing process.

000-pins83 (resized).jpg000-pins83 (resized).jpg

000-pins3 (resized).jpg000-pins3 (resized).jpg

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I second the lacquers...shot from a wide open Harbor Freight gravity-fed touch-up gun (the cheapest they have). I have not restored a game with heavy web yet, like the original examples above.
Here are some close-ups of a WMS Heat Wave and GTB 2001 I did last month, with light webbing. Admittedly, original has longer web strands, but I'm happy with my results, which I'd classify as "unobtrusive" to the original artwork while maintaining the spirit of the webbing process.

That "2001" looks perfect!

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from paintpins:

Everyone seems to have their technique but after many experiments I've founds only lacquer products work.

Looks like a great "marbling" effect, but I think it's a bit too heavy for a pinball cabinet.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Looks like a great "marbling" effect, but I think it's a bit too heavy for a pinball cabinet.

Thin to win.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

it is a bit heavy but the webbing did tend to get a bit thick towards the end of webbing right before they went to specking.
the trick to restorations is getting the webbing correct to the era. the hardest is the early 60's. it was so thin and evenly spaced.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

webbing looks pretty close to original IMO, and there is some nice under spray. nice job!

#44 7 years ago

Here's a BaB I just did, Krylon silver webbing mixed with blue spray paint...

20161112_164803_resized (resized).jpg20161112_164803_resized (resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago

Gorgeous

#46 7 years ago

Beautiful Job!

#47 7 years ago

something different i just go the dots..here is a closeup of my swing along just completed.

20161031_153445 (resized).jpg20161031_153445 (resized).jpg

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That "2001" looks perfect!

Thank you, means a lot. That 2001 design is beautiful in its simplicity.

Quoted from boilerman:

webbing looks pretty close to original IMO, and there is some nice under spray. nice job!

I love the warmth of the underspray, it is something that sticky stencils just can't recreate.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Thank you, means a lot. That 2001 design is beautiful in its simplicity.

I love the warmth of the underspray, it is something that sticky stencils just can't recreate.

i agree

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Warm indeed!

Gold Strike SunsetGold Strike Sunset

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/webbing-of-the-day and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.