(Topic ID: 320318)

Weak solenoid WMS System 4. Bad diode somewhere?

By JethroP

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PINTEC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

25402DFA-D8DD-4AA1-8309-2F5366DA42EA (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Had a previous post describing multiple issues. Want to separate the issue here to try and get this one resolved. The ball won't kick out of the outhole to the shooter lane. The solenoid tries repeatedly, but doesn't have enough power to kick the ball all the way to the shooter lane. The coil tests good (as do all the others). I've replaced the TIP102 and 2N4401. I've repinned the J11 connector on the driver board (also the 40 pin interconnect). Have reflowed the solder on the headers. Could a diode on another coil or switch be causing this problem? I can't seem to get the game into diagnostics to do a solenoid test.

The coil fires, just barely a bump....not enough power to kick the ball.

#2 1 year ago

How are the actual header pins and the ground returns for the solenoid power? Any tarnish on pins or crimps creates resistance. You might be able to track it down by letting it run and then look for a warm connector

#3 1 year ago

Good idea, one thread for one problem.

Is it the correct coil?

What voltage is at the coil?

Is there any mechanical resistance?

Got some clear pics of the assembly?

#4 1 year ago

REVISED: The pins and headers are good. I repinned the J11 connector (it looked good anyway). I touched the metal tab on TIP to ground and solenoid fired powerfully, so I’m ruling out wiring, right? I turned on and left waiting for something to get hot. After about 5 minutes the F2 solenoid fuse blew. The only thing that was pretty warm we’re the chips I’ve circled on pic.

25402DFA-D8DD-4AA1-8309-2F5366DA42EA (resized).jpeg25402DFA-D8DD-4AA1-8309-2F5366DA42EA (resized).jpeg

#5 1 year ago

I replaced Q14 and Q15 (outhole transistors) and no change. I replaced the 6800 chip on the MPU and the outhole solenoid locked on and blew F2. Any more ideas?

#6 1 year ago

Check/Replace IC1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-solenoid-wms-system-4-bad-diode-somewhere and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.