• Latest reply 12 years ago by judremy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coil_sleeve.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Any way to increase the power of my Flash slingshots? Compared to my Gorgar, they're kinda weak.

Thoughts?

#2 12 years ago

Take it you've already installed new sleeves?

#3 12 years ago

Haven't done anything. Does installing new sleeves require soldering?

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Haven't done anything. Does installing new sleeves require soldering?

No. The sleeves are simply hollow nylon tubes that fit over the metal plungers. They are simple to replace. Here's what they look like ...

coil_sleeve.jpgcoil_sleeve.jpg

#5 12 years ago

Ill check them out. No soldering?

#6 12 years ago

NO.

2 screws, pop the coil off, slide the sleeves in. Make sure to put them on the same way they came out with the flange on the proper side.

#7 12 years ago

Great. Thanks guys.

I'm ordering soon from marco (some bulbs) and I might as well replace the sleeves. Maybe this will help.

#8 12 years ago

Just looked on Marco. TONS of sleeves.

How do I know which ones to buy? Do I just take out the old ones and measure it?

#9 12 years ago

Yes just measure them

#10 12 years ago

Or call PBR (Pinball Resource). Tell them the Coil # along with use (ie.. Bumpers). they will know the sleave to use...

#11 12 years ago

Great advice Brian. Thank you.

So i'm guessing if the plunger moves ok while the sleeve is in the coil, the sleeve is ok?

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

So i'm guessing if the plunger moves ok while the sleeve is in the coil, the sleeve is ok?

That's assuming it's actually the correct sleeve to begin with. People will sometimes just use whatever sleeve they happen to have lying around, even if it's the wrong one. My tech was working on my STTNG the other day and discovered the wrong sleeve installed on one of my VUK plungers. I never would have noticed it myself.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Generally, yes - but sometimes things behave differently when being pulled by the coil instead of pushed with a finger. A visual inspection of the coil sleeve should make it clear, though. If the sleeve is the wrong size, or shows wear, replace it. Sleeves are dirt cheap, and not that hard to replace.

#14 12 years ago

Ok. It's just that those slinghshots barely sling the ball in comparison to the Gorgar. It's not too bad, but i'm a tad of a perfectionist I suppose.

#15 12 years ago

How weak are those slings? They should be at least strong enough to get the ball from one sling to the other, assuming it hits at the right angle.

Beyond that, the strength of slings varies from manufacturer to manufacture, game to game within a manufacturer's line, and machine to machine for any given game - so there may not be any problem.

Definitely check the coil sleeves though. I assume you've also put fresh rubbers on it right? I suspect that spoiled rubber could make the slings seem weaker (as well as degrading play in general)

#16 12 years ago

it does allow the ball to go from sling to sling. I haven't rerubbered it yet.. still looking to shop it this weekend.

They're not too bad, but just not at powerful as gorgars, so that's why i'm wondering if something is wrong. I should probably just leave well enough alone.

3 months later
#17 12 years ago

so I just replaced the sleeves to no avail. Also tried new rubbers.

I did notice that the plunger is kinda loose. This could make the "push" on the slingshot weaker I would think.

New plunger and link assemblies should give more oomph.

#18 12 years ago

If the bottom of the mount is bent out, you can bend it back up. This will give the slingshot more oomph!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-slingshots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.