Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Tensikka
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Ok so my Demo man has a week right flipper that barely makes the ball up the left ramp, you have to hit it just right. I cleaned the EOS contacts with no change. The left flipper smashes the ball all over the place, i did notice the left flipper from the factory has a stronger coil, I swapped flipper coils and the weak flipper followed the suspect coil. Is it safe to say the coil has failed, even though I've heard that coils do not fade or lose strength over the years?

#2 7 years ago

May just need rebuilt, or the flipper opto board needs cleaned or it cld just need ajusted which all wld be the usual suspects . What exactly did you swap? Just move the right to left?

#3 7 years ago

Yeah , I just swapped coils and doing so the left flipper became weak.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from caz1844:

Yeah , I just swapped coils and doing so the left flipper became weak.

Did you desolder both and swap ? If not then that dont really prove anything....

#5 7 years ago

No, I just swapped them out , did not desolder.
Not really sure what to try next though.

#6 7 years ago

Both lower flippers should be FL-11629 according to the manual.

#7 7 years ago

I thought they were the same coils too, but no Left is 11630 and right is 11629.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from caz1844:

No, I just swapped them out , did not desolder.
Not really sure what to try next though.

Quoted from bigd1979:

May just need rebuilt, or the flipper opto board needs cleaned or it cld just need ajusted which all wld be the usual suspects . What exactly did you swap? Just move the right to left?

Heres few things....

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from caz1844:

I thought they were the same coils too, but no Left is 11630 and right is 11629.

Well there's your problem then isn't it?

#10 7 years ago

no cause the manual states 11630 for left and 11629 for right, which is what I have currently.

#11 7 years ago

yes and don't forget to clean or replace the end of stroke leaf switch.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Both lower flippers should be FL-11629 according to the manual.

Quoted from caz1844:

no cause the manual states 11630 for left and 11629 for right, which is what I have currently.

Wait I'm lost - do you guys have different manuals? Lol seems odd for stock setup to be different windings on the coils.

Disregarding that they are different windings, If you desolder the coils and swap and the problem follows you've proved the only issue is that you have 2 different coils... although that seems likely to be the case anyway given the results of swapping coils but leaves cab switches in the unknown.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

If you desolder the coils and swap and the problem follows ...

He said that he did not desolder; he just swapped them.

OP, heat the solder joints on the coils just enough to re-heat the solder until it becomes a shiny liquid. That'll wipe out any possibilities of cold solder joints. If the problem goes away, it was a cold solder joint.

If not that, take a business card or a firm piece of thin cardboard and squeeze your EOS shut(basically cleaning the two contact points). If that doesn't do it, you could replace the coil sleeves and see if that fixes things.

Personally, I'd make sure my coils matched what was in the manual, and then I'd do a flipper rebuild on the main pair of flippers and call it a day:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=244

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

He said that he did not desolder; he just swapped them.

Yeah -- reread what I posted. Given the results of swapping coils.. I was saying to try desoldering and switching coils. It's doubtful that coil sleaves would cause that much drag, so if you swap coils and solder the left coil into the right side wiring and it switches which flipper is strong, there's little else it can be but that coil is that much more powerful.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Disregarding that they are different windings, If you desolder the coils and swap and the problem follows you've proved the only issue is that you have 2 different coils... although that seems likely to be the case anyway given the results of swapping coils but leaves cab switches in the unknown.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Wait I'm lost - do you guys have different manuals? Lol seems odd for stock setup to be different windings on the coils.

Right at the beginning of the manual on ipdb it lists both flipper coils with the same part number

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Right at the beginning of the manual on ipdb it lists both flipper coils with the same part number

Sounds like one of those coils needs to get changed out then..

#18 7 years ago

Coil is usually binary, works or not. Little gray area is there when it has started to melt and is partly internally shorted. Main reasons are usually mechanical, especially too tight gap vertically is bad (=plunger has no space to move freely when entering solenoid and can cause drag). My thumb of rule is that if coil sleeve is hard to get of or put new one inside coil, it's good to replace the coil. That means that coil is "Swollowed" because of heat and is not in factory specs. This also causes that electronics has to "work harder" which affects it's life span.

Fliptronics board should be inspected also, measure all transistors, check all the board traces etc.

EOS has no affect on fliptronics-game. It's just to return flipper to up-position if something pushes flipper back down when hold up. Fliptronics gives 40ms pulse to power-coil to make actual hit, then switches to hold-coil to keep flipper up. WPC works quite fine without EOS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 37.50
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 81.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-right-flipper-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.