• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hello!

I just recently replaced (right) coil, EOS switch, and flipper switch on my blackout and I noticed that is considerable weaker than the left one, any idea on why this is happening? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Video of the said flipper in comparison with the left one:

#2 7 years ago

Did you clean the contacts of the EOS switch as they may have a coating on them to prevent rusting? And did you bend the blades toward each other to add pressure to the contacts of the EOS switch? Last thing is are the contacts of the EOS switch touching squarely to each other? One more thing, it looks like the gap is too big when the flipper is up. This should be more then a 1/16 and no more then an 1/8 on an inch.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you clean the contacts of the EOS switch as they may have a coating on them to prevent rusting? And did you bend the blades toward each other to add pressure to the contacts of the EOS switch? Last thing is are the contacts of the EOS switch touching squarely to each other? One more thing, it looks like the gap is too big when the flipper is up. This should be more then a 1/16 and no more then an 1/8 on an inch.

Yup, I filed the contacts of the switches (at the coil and at the flipper) and these are aligned. I might try to close the gap a bit, but I'm not 100% sure it will work (maybe), on the left flipper the gap of (what it seems the original) EOS switch is bigger and flipper is much stronger.

#4 7 years ago

Try this the old flipper stops are very shallow, you need to trim the plastic link so that
the plunger can actually hit the coil stop. I trim mine to a "V" shape that was used
in the first generation of the use of the plastic links; (post phenolic) era.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Try this the old flipper stops are very shallow, you need to trim the plastic link so that
the plunger can actually hit the coil stop. I trim mine to a "V" shape that was used
in the first generation of the use of the plastic links; (post phenolic) era.

I have seen the plastic-trim mod on EMs pawls, but not on SS pawls, I replaced all hardware on both flippers and you can see (on the video) the left flipper pulls strong (with the same pawls as the right one)

~ja

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yup, I've seen brand new switches come with a coating or film on the contacts to prevent corrosion in storage/shipping. You should swab the contacts with alcohol (power OFF) to clean off the film. You have an awfully large gap in that switch when the flipper is pulled in. Looks to me like you need to adjust the EOS switch blades.

#7 7 years ago

That's a new coil on the right?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Yup, I've seen brand new switches come with a coating or film on the contacts to prevent corrosion in storage/shipping. You should swab the contacts with alcohol (power OFF) to clean off the film. You have an awfully large gap in that switch when the flipper is pulled in. Looks to me like you need to adjust the EOS switch blades.

I will re-clean the contacts on the (new) switches, as for the gap, the one on the left is a bit more open than the one that is weak... ironically.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

That's a new coil on the right?

Yup, brand me, same specs as the original on the left.

1 week later
#10 7 years ago

Just an update for this thread, my problem was a broken (flipper) armature, this will misalign the coil making the plunger rub. Thanks everybody for their input!

#11 7 years ago

Great, be sure and mark the OP with a green checkmark.
-mof

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmichael, CA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-right-flipper-blackout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.