Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Hello all, I have been trying to sort out a problem with my Whirlwind. Two of the kickers are weak, the shooter lane kickout is weak and sometimes struggles to serve the ball into the shooter lane. Also the cellar kicker is weak and sometimes isn't able to get the ball out of the cellar until the second kick after it falls back in. The problem seems to be intermittent, the kicker is always weak but sometimes it will be able to get the ball out of the cellar 7 or 8 times in a row before it has to kick twice to get it out.

The cellar kicker assembly is new (new coil as well) and I have adjusted the alignment so it should be hitting the ball squarely. I checked the wires that go to the kicker coil itself and the solder joints are good. I reseated the wires in the connector for the interconnect board, no effect.

Any ideas where to look next?

#2 4 years ago

all shitty sleeves?

If they are all bad, not that I have schematic in front of me, but do they have 1 thing all in common? I troubleshoot for a living, have to start at the 1 thing they all have in common.

#3 4 years ago

Sleeves are all new. I thought the same thing as you but they are on different circuits as far as I can tell.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I thought the same thing as you but they are on different circuits as far as I can tell.

Three are on the same power wire.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 4 years ago

I’m going to show my schematics ignorance here. So the power wire is the violet/yellow and not the brown/blue?

#6 4 years ago

So the power wire is the violet/yellow and not the brown/blue?

Yep.

#7 4 years ago

Ok well that changes things a bit. I’ll check all the solenoids on that power wire and see if there’s a weak solder joint or something. Thanks!

#8 4 years ago

and see if there’s a weak solder joint or something.

Maybe a cracked header pin solder joint on the aux power supply J-12 pin 6.

#9 4 years ago

Update: I pulled the aux power board and reheated/reflowed solder on each header pin. I did not see any obvious cracked joint at J12 pin 6.

I checked voltages at each coil with the game in all lamps mode and got good voltages at each coil. All solder joints seem ok.

Any idears?

#10 4 years ago

Now pull the innerconnect board out and check for cracked header pins on j-5 and j-8.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Now pull the innerconnect board out and check for cracked header pins on j-5 and j-8.

Interconnect board is brand new. I assumed that would mean the solder joints are ok. Should I still check it?

#12 4 years ago

Why did you replace the innerconnect board?

#13 4 years ago

There were several headers that had been badly soldered on before and half the GI was out. I tried replacing the header and turned out to be a bad trace. Since there was damage elsewhere as well I decided to buy a new board.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Could the elsewhere damage be at J-5 and J-6. Did you replace the connectors for J-5 and J-6?

#15 4 years ago

I haven’t done anything to J5 and J6. Should I reheat those also?

#16 4 years ago

The connectors, like the IDC connectors, might be a bad crimp in one.

#17 4 years ago

I haven’t done anything to J5 and J6. Should I reheat those also?

My bad, J-5 and J-8.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

My bad, J-5 and J-8.

No headers were messed with on the MPU, just the interconnect which was later replaced with the new one. The connectors to J-5 and J-8 are still the stock IDC connectors. I suppose I could change those to molex but wouldn’t I see a drop in voltage if I had a bad connection there?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

My bad, J-5 and J-8.

I'm referring to the innerconnect board not the CPU board.

but wouldn’t I see a drop in voltage if I had a bad connection there?

You would only see a voltage drop when current is flowing. The problem is you can't leave a solenoid on long enough to check for a voltage drop without burning the fuse.
Did you keep the old board?

#20 4 years ago

Yes I have it. J5 and J8 are both stock headers and look ok on the old board. Most of the damage was at J6.

#21 4 years ago

If you have another system 11 I would swap boards so you can rule them out. Determine if on board or not.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

If you have another system 11 I would swap boards so you can rule them out. Determine if on board or not.

The interconnect board is brand new and the issue was occurring prior to the new board as well so I don't think it's the board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-kickers-on-whirlwind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.