6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4898 (resized).PNG
    #1 6 years ago

It is not the EOS switch. I have ensured over and over that it is tight and making good contact (pic below). It is opening at 1/8 inch when flipper is fully extended. I even held the contact together and flipped, but the flipper was still super weak.

So my question is, What else can cause a weak flipper other than an EOS switch. I measured voltage on each lug of the solenoid and was getting about 35V on each lug.

This problem just started and only at one flipper (lower left). This problem arose afterI was in the backbox, repinning a connector. I have reseated everything with no change. What is causing my flipper to be weak, is there maybe a connection in the backbox that would cause weakness of the flipper?

IMG_4898 (resized).PNGIMG_4898 (resized).PNG

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

It is not the EOS switch. I have ensured over and over that it is tight and making good contact (pic below). It is opening at 1/8 inch when flipper is fully extended. I even held the contact together and flipped, but the flipper was still super weak.
    So my question is, What else can cause a weak flipper other than an EOS switch. I measured voltage on each lug of the solenoid and was getting about 35V on each lug.
    This problem just started and only at one flipper (lower left). This problem arose afterI was in the backbox, repinning a connector. I have reseated everything with no change. What is causing my flipper to be weak, is there maybe a connection in the backbox that would cause weakness of the flipper?

Have you compared how long it takes the linkage arm (or whatever you want to call it) to actually make contact with the EOS switch and open it? It is a similar radius to the right flipper? I have had to make adjustments to the switch position on games because it was taking too long for the switch to actually open compared to the other flipper.

#3 6 years ago

Did you also replace the cabinet button switch?

#4 6 years ago

Coil sleeve is good and doesn't need cleaned out/replaced?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Have you compared how long it takes the linkage arm (or whatever you want to call it) to actually make contact with the EOS switch and open it? It is a similar radius to the right flipper? I have had to make adjustments to the switch position on games because it was taking too long for the switch to actually open compared to the other flipper.

I have compared the two, and it seems the same. Even if the switch never opened though, wouldn't the flipper still be strong? I mean opening the switch just switches it to low power, correct? doesn't effect the strength? (Im asking, I really dont know)

Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you also replace the cabinet button switch?

No I have not done that.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfre81:

Coil sleeve is good and doesn't need cleaned out/replaced?

Just replaced recently.

#7 6 years ago

There must be good clean contacts on the flipper button cabinet switches also.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I have compared the two, and it seems the same. Even if the switch never opened though, wouldn't the flipper still be strong? I mean opening the switch just switches it to low power, correct? doesn't effect the strength? (Im asking, I really dont know)

No I have not done that.

Probably poor wording on my part - I would make sure it is not opening too soon and not too far. That's really what I meant by comparing the too. If you have vast spacing differences between the good and bad flipper, see if you can adjust them so they mirror each other. You can also just adjust the switch in and out and see if it's making any difference. If it gets stronger moving the gap and timing one way you probably just need to tinker until it feels correct.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-flippers-what-is-the-cause-williams-system-7?hl=mikat11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.