(Topic ID: 319886)

Weak flipper on Demo Man-- NOT a coil issue.

By drsfmd

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9297F22A-7A6B-4BF3-811A-76808E1157BC (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Starting a new thread here... I have another thread going about my Demo Man issues, but it's not getting much traction, and this problem is a little different than the other one.

The right flipper on my Demo Man is weak when using the flipper button. It works, but comes up slowly, and there's a humming noise from the coil when you hold the button. I cleaned the optos, no change. I swapped out the flipper board, no change.

When I use the triggers, the flipper is fine. If I hold the trigger in, there is no noise from the coil when using the trigger.

Ideas?

*********************************************************************************

Also, can someone post a good, clear closeup of the connectors at J106 & J108? Mine look a little hacked up, and I'm not sure they are right (particularly, which pin does the single black wire on J106 go to?)

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

clear closeup of the connectors at J106 & J108?

Rear of the manual has the board layout, and connector info as in what wire goes to which pin.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

which pin does the single black wire on J106 go to?

It doesn't. Only one wire on J106, pin 5 - Red wire white stripe +20 Volt for back box flashers.

See page 3-32 - https://www.ipdb.org/files/662/Williams_1994_Demolition_Man_Operations_Manual_English_OCR_searchable.pdf

#4 1 year ago

I had this issue on a demo man before. Flippers were weak at buttons and strong on triggers.

Turned out someone had swapped the opto flipper interrupters in the cabinet for leaf switches.

At any rate, I’d focus on that cabinet flipper button. Maybe swap it with the other one and see if issue moves to other flipper.

Edit: I see you did all this stuff.

Maybe swap in a different fliptronics board if you have one.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Also, can someone post a good, clear closeup of the connectors at J106 & J108? Mine look a little hacked up, and I'm not sure they are right (particularly, which pin does the single black wire on J106 go to?)

I know this might be blasphemy but you're asking someone to go to their machine, create an image and then post it. You could also do the same (i.e. create an image of your wiring and post it). Often multiple sets of eyes viewing your wiring can resolve a problem better and faster than your one set of eyes viewing multiple images of the same thing that are perhaps posted days after your initial request by someone that actually bothered out of the kindness of their heart to open up the backbox of their machine, create the image and post it.

That might sound condescending. It is not meant to be. It's tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic (but also serious) humor. It is not a personal attack at you or your post but rather a recommendation on how to elicit a better response.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

It doesn't. Only one wire on J106, pin 5 - Red wire white stripe +20 Volt for back box flashers.
See page 3-32 - https://www.ipdb.org/files/662/Williams_1994_Demolition_Man_Operations_Manual_English_OCR_searchable.pdf

Hence why I asked the question. I didn't think the black wire belonged there, but I don't know where it's supposed to go.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe swap in a different fliptronics board if you have one.

I do-- I hadn't thought about the board itself being the problem... but that makes perfect sense.

Quoted from DumbAss:

I know this might be blasphemy but you're asking someone to go to their machine, create an image and then post it. You could also do the same (i.e. create an image of your wiring and post it). Often multiple sets of eyes viewing your wiring can resolve a problem better and faster than your one set of eyes viewing multiple images of the same thing that are perhaps posted days after your initial request by someone that actually bothered out of the kindness of their heart to open up the backbox of their machine, create the image and post it.
That might sound condescending. It is not meant to be. It's tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic (but also serious) humor. It is not a personal attack at you or your post but rather a recommendation on how to elicit a better response.

I don't take offense easily. In the other thread, I've posted videos, details, etc. and elicited no responses. I have a crumbling connector that I need to replace. I already know it's probably wrong, so I didn't see the point in posting wrong photos, but I can do so when I get home from work.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

but I don't know where it's supposed to go.

Check the board pinouts in the manual that I provided a link for and figure out what connector is missing a black wire.

#8 1 year ago

Request photo is in this post. The all black wire is an Extension of the red and white wire. I hadn’t noticed that previously.

9297F22A-7A6B-4BF3-811A-76808E1157BC (resized).jpeg9297F22A-7A6B-4BF3-811A-76808E1157BC (resized).jpeg
#9 1 year ago

Might sound strange, but clean your opto interruptors..helps in some cases of weak flippers.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Justpin:

but clean your opto interruptors.

Quoted from drsfmd:

I cleaned the optos, no change.

#11 1 year ago

This is resolved. I swapped the PPB with one I had put into another game while the PPB from that game was out for service (ie: Demo Man got its original PPB back). Problem vanished.

Interestingly, the PPB that I took out of Demo Man went back into my WCS, and it has no problems there either.

Very, very strange... but both games are working fine.

#13 1 year ago

Haha, I wondered the same - I 'think' he means the fliptronics board but how would you know??

People need to stop being so cryptic when they ask for help and give ALL the information in a clear manner to get the best help!!

#14 1 year ago

Aux driver board probably.

#15 1 year ago

I have corrected this before.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-a-little-help-troubleshooting-a-problem-with-my-wcs-94#post-6998771

PDB = WPC (89 or 95) Power Driver Board
PPB = Data East Playfield Power Board

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 81.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 72.95
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-flipper-on-demo-man-not-a-coil-issue-?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.