Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

If any expert on WPC design and circuitry could chime in, that would be greatly appreciated

In a nutshell, I have installed one too many mod on my Indy, which seems to have an effect on 12V power rail. Without this mod, 12V rail is at 12.5V (similar to my TZ next to it), with it 12V is at 11.8V.

This seem to result into the left flipper being excessively weak. If I remove the mod (it's an HD DMD, a derivative of PIN2DMD, higher size), I get back my original flipper power. Note that this only happens in-game, I have full flipper power while in test mode.

I want to understand the exact failure mechanism. I understand that I need to fix my 12V rail, I understand that the 12V can have an effect on the Fliptronic board and/or the flipper switch opto boards.

What I want to understand is why. Looking at the schematics, I see no reason why a lower than 12V rail on the flipper opto board would actually cause the flipper to be weak, since the switch is essentially triggering the activation, not the duration of the pulse (which would be the reason for the coil to not have full power).

Any insight ?

Thanks and regards

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Looking at the schematics, I see no reason why a lower than 12V rail on the flipper opto board would actually cause the flipper to be weak, since the switch is essentially triggering the activation, not the duration of the pulse (which would be the reason for the coil to not have full power).

Stick a scope on the activation circuit both with and without the mod enabled and see if you get many short pulses of activation with the mod vs. not. The flipper coil might get warm as well (start a game and let it sit without flipping and see if it gets warm). The short pulses won't actually physically activate the flipper but it's still pulsing voltage into it - similar to what happens when you have dirty optos on the flipper boards.

Does it start weak right away when you turn it on or it takes a while?

Yes, look into aux power supply for the mods only is what I'd do if you're keeping them all.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Stick a scope on the activation circuit both with and without the mod enabled and see if you get many short pulses of activation with the mod vs. not. The flipper coil might get warm as well (start a game and let it sit without flipping and see if it gets warm). The short pulses won't actually physically activate the flipper but it's still pulsing voltage into it - similar to what happens when you have dirty optos on the flipper boards.
Does it start weak right away when you turn it on or it takes a while?
Yes, look into aux power supply for the mods only is what I'd do if you're keeping them all.

Some data points:

- It starts right away, but it's just weak. I can barely enter the ramp
- I've had cases where the flipper would indeed stutter, and I could hear some noise in the coil. This was an extreme case, i've not had that behaviour again after turning it off, reseating connectors, but the flipper is still weak

Could it be that the optos are generating micro pulse, which would affect the coil ?

I'll try too hook up my scope

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Could it be that the optos are generating micro pulse, which would affect the coil ?

Very possible. I wouldn't think the .2 voltage drop would be that much (the circuit should have been designed to deal with that I'd think). Scope would definitely show differences though. Do you have one that can grab screen shots maybe you can post differences?

I think the activation path would definitely be affected if the circuit thinks you just flipped for a really short time so it's turning the high power off. Fliptronics circuit doesn't do anything to smooth out the input over the schmidt trigger on the opto board IIRC (which is supposed to reduce the pulses)

Does the problem switch flippers if you swap the opto boards? Maybe you have a failing opto/receiver?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Very possible. I wouldn't think the .2 voltage drop would be that much (the circuit should have been designed to deal with that I'd think). Scope would definitely show differences though. Do you have one that can grab screen shots maybe you can post differences?
I think the activation path would definitely be affected if the circuit thinks you just flipped for a really short time so it's turning the high power off. Fliptronics circuit doesn't do anything to smooth out the input over the schmidt trigger on the opto board IIRC (which is supposed to reduce the pulses)
Does the problem switch flippers if you swap the opto boards? Maybe you have a failing opto/receiver?

Just to clarify, the drop is not just 0.2V, it's actually from 12.5V to 11.8V.

There's been a very similar behaviour identified here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-flipper-after-installing-colordmd-12v-unregulated

I have yet to proceed with any debug, I'm trying to prepare the work ahead of me as I like to plan (and to understand)

I do have a scope, so that's my next action

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Just to clarify, the drop is not just 0.2V, it's actually from 12.5V to 11.8V.
There's been a very similar behaviour identified here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-flipper-after-installing-colordmd-12v-unregulated
I have yet to proceed with any debug, I'm trying to prepare the work ahead of me as I like to plan (and to understand)
I do have a scope, so that's my next action

Many like @zaza, @dumbass, chrishibler, Ed from Great Plains Electronics, and others will probably chime in if they are not super busy to explain the theory.

#7 2 years ago

If it's not already understood, I have had a great deal of trouble with WPC games with burned or "bronzed" connectors.

This does affect the power delivered to the Fliptronics board.

It *will* contribute to weak flippers.

Pull the connectors, examine them carefully. Even if the plastics look good, look at the 'pins' - if they're not shiny, replace the connector.

I still use IDC connectors as they're simple and fast to do with the right tool.

I get new IDC connectors from Mouser, haven't checked GPE but I wouldn't be surprised if they were available from there or several other choices.

When ordering new IDC connectors, be sure it's rated for the right wire gauge size - save yourself some frustration.

#8 2 years ago

It doesn't sound like there's a problem with your 12V supply. The 12V supply is a bridge rectifier followed by a capacitor. It's unregulated and will drop in voltage as more current is pulled from the supply.

Some of the drop is due to resistive losses through the bridge.

Some is because the voltage at the output of the capacitor will droop at a faster rate when more current is pulled from the supply. As the AC input voltage is increasing, the rectifiers are forward biased and the capacitor charges up to the maximum input voltage. When the AC input voltage decreases from peak, the rectifiers cutoff the AC input and current is sourced from the capacitor. The causes the capacitor voltage to fall slowly as charge flows out of the capacitor. The rate at which it falls is proportional to the supplied current.

Without any mods connected, your 12V supply will normally be over 13.2V. As more mods are added, the DC voltage will start to fall. If you add too many mods, the voltage will fall below 12V and limit the amount of light coming out of the opto photodiodes.

As for your original question about why the flipper strength may feel weaker when the opto voltage is reduced... the detector side of the optical switch is a phototransistor. The current through the transistor depends on the light that reaches it from the photodiode. When the photodiode is lit brightly, the phototransistor turns all the way on and has a small voltage drop across it. When the light from the photodiode is reduced the phototransistor doesn't turn on as strongly and there's a larger voltage drop across it's terminals. The circuit that detects whether the flipper button is pressed or not depends on this voltage.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

It doesn't sound like there's a problem with your 12V supply. The 12V supply is a bridge rectifier followed by a capacitor. It's unregulated and will drop in voltage as more current is pulled from the supply.
Some of the drop is due to resistive losses through the bridge.
Some is because the voltage at the output of the capacitor will droop at a faster rate when more current is pulled from the supply. As the AC input voltage is increasing, the rectifiers are forward biased and the capacitor charges up to the maximum input voltage. When the AC input voltage decreases from peak, the rectifiers cutoff the AC input and current is sourced from the capacitor. The causes the capacitor voltage to fall slowly as charge flows out of the capacitor. The rate at which it falls is proportional to the supplied current.
Without any mods connected, your 12V supply will normally be over 13.2V. As more mods are added, the DC voltage will start to fall. If you add too many mods, the voltage will fall below 12V and limit the amount of light coming out of the opto photodiodes.
As for your original question about why the flipper strength may feel weaker when the opto voltage is reduced... the detector side of the optical switch is a phototransistor. The current through the transistor depends on the light that reaches it from the photodiode. When the photodiode is lit brightly, the phototransistor turns all the way on and has a small voltage drop across it. When the light from the photodiode is reduced the phototransistor doesn't turn on as strongly and there's a larger voltage drop across it's terminals. The circuit that detects whether the flipper button is pressed or not depends on this voltage.

Thanks for this clarification, however the complete the mode of failure we probably need to go one step further

So here's my assumption (to be validated with a scope shoot)

- assuming the phototransistor is in transient mode of operation (not sure of the correct English wording) and not in commuting mode, there is a comparator to 5v level in the fliptronic board. Because the photo transistor is not fully on, the resulting output voltage is close to the 5v threshold, generating random pulses (as if the flipper button was repeatedly pressed)
- fliptronic board in turn generate a pulse at the coil transistor
- As the pulses are very short, the coil cannot fully energize, however it gets hot very quickly. This leads to an impedance increase, which reduces the coil magnetic field at the same voltage

Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis?

Time to connect my scope, did not have the time today

And yes I'm picky, I like to understand what's going on...

#10 2 years ago

IIRC, Fliptronics does not pulse the coil. It's a DC voltage that's switched on or off by the CPU depending on the state of the button. There's an end of stroke switch that will switch the flipper from the power winding to the hold winding and reduce the DC current.

I think you're correct in that the reduced voltage at the opto causes the phototransistor to turn on more slowly and results in more transients as the voltage crosses the comparator threshold. However, I don't think the weakness is a heat/impedance issue.

Instead, transients in the CPU control signal to the solenoid will reduce the initial "average" voltage applied to the flipper coil and cause the magnetic field to build more slowly. The decrease in initial magnetic field results in less initial force and acceleration of the plunger. The result is what feels like a weak flip.

Williams buttons also respond differently when the button is only pushed partly in. I think the result is similar... occlusion of the light by the switch causes the transistor to turn on more slowly and results in a weak flip.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

I believe the "weakness" results because the initial transients in the button state produce similar transients in the initial voltage applied to the flipper.

Yeah... Pulsing

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yeah... Pulsing

Point taken. I misread the post and thought he was referring to the pulsing that normally occurs in Stern's single-wound coil flippers. In contrast to those, WPC don't "pulse".

I agree that the transients will result in initial undesirable pulsing on the Fliptronics flipper that reduces the average voltage applied to the coil (and effectively slows down the turn on of the coil).

#13 2 years ago

https://homepinballrepair.com/how-sold-state-flippers-work-fliptronics-de-sega-stern/

the last part about the "optical flipper controversy", makes sense. They did talk about the twitch range, idk what voltage. I had a broken opto though on one game where the flipper had tendency to flutter. Seen another game where I could of sworn it made a diff, but maybe there was another factor involved.

#14 2 years ago

Can't say that my measurements prove anything, because of course the issue seems gone when I connected my scope, at least partially:

- Connected the oscilloscope, took measurements on all three plugs of the coil with HD DMD connected or not : no noticable difference. No train pulse, nothing of that nature. Just the regular ringing caused by the cap not being able to smooth
- Flipper does feel weak, but I can make the ramp, so it might be a perception
- However button sensing is not reliable, as I can see when trying to tilt the path of the dead left (or maybe there's another issue). It does tilt right correctly.
- Could not find a proper way to read the opto output reliably, will need to check where I can find a test point to read it

#15 2 years ago

Did you swap the left and right opto boards to see if it follows the board or stays with the same board?

Also, the Doctor Who manual (and likely others) pages 3-3 to 3-10 or so explain how the switching circuits work for the fliptronics board.

Another thought: Is your wiring terminated in IDC connectors or crimp-ons? Maybe loose connection there that just rears its head when the lower voltage is there. When you put the scope leads on the it holding the connector slightly differently so it worked better? (Maybe cracked solder header pins as well?)

You have normal flipper boards and not the great lakes modular magnetic ones from a while ago? I had a set of those and they were never reliable. Weak flips, extra flips, no flips.

#16 2 years ago

Please swap the boards.... I have had similar problems due to dirty optos. Clean with q-tip and alcohol.....Worse thing that can happen is you have clean optos.
Try unplugging the display and see if the weak flipper improves......

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Did you swap the left and right opto boards to see if it follows the board or stays with the same board?
Also, the Doctor Who manual (and likely others) pages 3-3 to 3-10 or so explain how the switching circuits work for the fliptronics board.
Another thought: Is your wiring terminated in IDC connectors or crimp-ons? Maybe loose connection there that just rears its head when the lower voltage is there. When you put the scope leads on the it holding the connector slightly differently so it worked better? (Maybe cracked solder header pins as well?)
You have normal flipper boards and not the great lakes modular magnetic ones from a while ago? I had a set of those and they were never reliable. Weak flips, extra flips, no flips.

To be fair, I wanted to get a scope shoot to see what happened, just for the sake of understanding, so in order to not have the issue disappear (otherwise my scope shoot would not be valid anymore), I did not try to swap. Which was useless in the end, since the issue did disappear.... I took the measurement at the coil solder, not at the opto board, so I did not touch the original IDC connector on the opto board or the Fliptronic board.

Flipper boards are not the magnetic version from what I can tell

I'll try to setup a permanent test fixture, that way next time the issue appears I can quickly connect and test

Quoted from Robo1:

Please swap the boards.... I have had similar problems due to dirty optos. Clean with q-tip and alcohol.....Worse thing that can happen is you have clean optos.
Try unplugging the display and see if the weak flipper improves......

I can do that indeed. I know removing the HD DMD improves the situation (already tested it)

I did not want just to resolve it, I wanted to understand it, hence why I was very cautious in my tests to NOT have the issue disappear, , but for that matter the issue is gone now anyway (at least the weak flipper).

#18 2 years ago

Since you’ve got your scope out, put the probe on TP1 and take a snapshot of what the 12V unregulated supply output is doing with the display connected/disconnected. You’ll be able to see the cap charge/discharge and how far it’s dipping below 12V.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:Since you’ve got your scope out, put the probe on TP1 and take a snapshot of what the 12V unregulated supply output is doing with the display connected/disconnected. You’ll be able to see the cap charge/discharge and how far it’s dipping below 12V.

Already did, min was above 12V, average value of 12.3V. Kind of explains why the weak flipper issue disappeared all of sudden. Does not explain why it went 'up' since I tested it first

#20 2 years ago

The drop in voltage at TP1 is a function of how much total current the game and mods are pulling. The current pulled by the optos doesn't change. Current from any motors and additional mods will, depending on the state of the device. The LED display, for example, will pull more current when all LEDs are lit white at maximum brightness.

A poor solder joint or header connection can also reduce the current pulled from the supply due to higher resistance.

1 week later
#21 2 years ago

Got some nice scope shoot.

I "think" I have the explanation, and it's actually the reverse

The optos are by default occluded by the plastic part in the middle. When pushing the button, the light partially shines through then fully (so for a period the phototransistor is in transient).

Attached are two scope shoots: one with a proper, strong flipper, the other with a weak flipper. Shot is taken at command lug, since that's where you can see the transistor output from the power board

The strong one clearly shows a nice inverted pulse
The "weak" one shows a shorter pulse, followed by a train of pulse

I have also taken shots at the 70V lug, you can see the decrease of voltage as the capacitor discharge, then see the rectifier output directly.

In the case of the "strong" shot, the rectifier output is stable (well, oscillating but that's expected)
In the case of the "weak" shot, the rectifier output is unstable

I can't quite explain why the there is a voltage surge though

But my assumption is that the phototransistor is in transient because it does not receive enough light (lower voltage on the emitting photo transistor).

Time to clean the optos and check again

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#22 2 years ago

And with cleaned optos, nice inverted pulse on the left flipper now

I love it when I understand what's going on

And while at it, I presume this conclude on the controversy

Sidenote: I think you need a combination of dirty optos and a lower voltage level to cause the issue, in order for the light level to be insufficient for the phototransistor to be in fully commuted mode

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#23 2 years ago

I ran into the same problem on a WCS with low 12V. I ended up solving it by using repro opto boards. Assumed it was they required less current but maybe the difference was they were clean.

#24 2 years ago

That's really cool, thanks for sharing!

#25 2 years ago

Haven’t made a similar measurement to compare but I’m a little surprised your 50V supply cap is discharging all the way down to 0V as soon as the coil fires. (Third plot.)

Would have expected some ripple but not a complete discharge of the cap. It doesn’t look like the cap is capable of holding any charge at all while the solenoid is on, and the 50V source just follows the full-wave rectified input from the bridge.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Haven’t made a similar measurement to compare but I’m a little surprised your 50V supply cap is discharging all the way down to 0V as soon as the coil fires. (Third plot.)
Would have expected some ripple but not a complete discharge of the cap. It doesn’t look like the cap is capable of holding any charge at all while the solenoid is on, and the 50V source just follows the full-wave rectified input from the bridge.

That was my thought as well. Probably need to change the cap. This machine is more than 20y old after all

Although I've seen a similar behaviour on a Creature, even after rectifier and cap replacement. They are not very big, 100uF according to the manual, with a 4 Ohm coil impedance, that result into quite a fast discharge. But yeah, not as fast

Thanks for the discussion, always nice to exchange on techy subject with knowledgeable people

#27 2 years ago

Was just looking at these numbers as well.

Ignoring the effect of the inductor, the time constant for the cap discharge is RC = (4)(100uF) = 0.4 msec, which is much shorter than the 10 msec charging cycle.

Makes sense that it's completely discharged but does beg the question why that capacitor is so small and what function it actually provides.

1 week later
#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Was just looking at these numbers as well.
Ignoring the effect of the inductor, the time constant for the cap discharge is RC = (4)(100uF) = 0.4 msec, which is much shorter than the 10 msec charging cycle.
Makes sense that it's completely discharged but does beg the question why that capacitor is so small and what function it actually provides.

I must admit I always wondered why it was so small... That begs the question on whether using a bigger cap value would increase coil power, or if the side effect (longer duration for the higher current) would be problematic

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,419.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-flipper-low-12v-wpc-dcs-need-expert-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.