• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170401_102639514 (resized).jpg
flipal1 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Complete rebuild kit. Double checked the EOS switches cleaned and adjusted the flipper button switches everything looks good with the exception of power. What am I missing are the original coils strong enough should they be upgraded? thoughts? thanks!!

#2 7 years ago

Check for binding - you may not have left any space between the flipper bats and the bushings.

And also read the link to vid's guide which will be posted about 3 times shortly.

#3 7 years ago

I'm an avid reader of Vid's. Been there done that. Used Vid's credit card suggestion to gauge the gap. Looks good to me. Linkage is loose and free.
Thanks Levi. In my real life I do tech support. In Learning the trade I try not to ask easy questions didn't want to come on here and ask in another week flipper question but I've read and read and read and double checked everything I see and I'm not there thanks

#4 7 years ago

There's a relay in there that feeds power to the flippers. Find that feed contact(s) and clean it up.

A good test is to jump the switch lugs together (without shorting anything out) and see if power is restored. If yes, that contact needs attention.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

There's a relay in there that feeds power to the flippers. Find that feed contact(s) and clean it up.
A good test is to jump the switch lugs together (without shorting anything out) and see if power is restored. If yes, that contact needs attention.

I'm not going to say this is completely wrong because I haven't worked on every game made, but every game I've ever worked on does not have a relay involved in the flippers. You've got the flipper buttons and the EOS switch. Now, if you want to talk about switches that allow or deny power to the playfield overall, then yes. But something like that would cause poor coil performance everywhere.

Something is bound up or the coils have been miswired, or something else involved in the rebuild. The rule always is, if something worked, you messed with it, and now it doesn't, the first place to look is what you messed withflipal1 (resized).jpgflipal1 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Bally flippers of that era just aren't that strong. How weak are we talking here? Is the game too steep? Maybe it's time to go Hi-Tap - always adds a little juice to EM flippers and slings.

#7 7 years ago

Flippers are better than prior to rebuild. On this game to hit the special you need to knock a captive ball up a trail to hit a target. I was hoping after the rebuild I could really knock the captive ball. Not so

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Bally flippers of that era just aren't that strong. How weak are we talking here?

And that's where I'm wondering if this is the issue. They may work the way they're suppose to work and it's me just expecting more than reality.

#8 7 years ago

Put it on high tap and reduce the slope a little and you may get the results you want.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Bally flippers of that era just aren't that strong. How weak are we talking here? Is the game too steep?

Going to check this. Do you have a recommendation on the degree of tilt?

Thanks Levi.

#10 7 years ago

"High tap" ????

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Reyab:

Going to check this. Do you have a recommendation on the degree of tilt?
Thanks Levi.

No. Just play with it. If the ball seems super heavy it's probably too steep for an EM. I've never used a bubble for slope in my life just go with feel. If it's super floaty, it's already not steep so don't mess with it. On a Bally EM of that era I'd probably set the rear levelers about 1/2-2/3rds of the way out (3 inch levelers).

Hi Tap: move the 24 volts wire over to the hi-tap tab on the Xformer:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#perform

High-Tap.
All the manufacturers have a transformer setting for locations with "low line voltage". Low line voltage happens most often in the summer when your game is plugged into a power line that shares an air conditioner.

The high-tap transformer setting will bump up the solenoid voltages (only, does not affect light voltages) about 2 or 3 volts. This gives your pop bumpers, kickers, and flippers a bit of extra power. Not a ton, but just a bit. Don't worry, you won't burn out coils with this setting. I set most of my EM games to high-tap and it gives them just a bit more punch. But again, it's personal preference and what you like.

High-tap does NOT effect the lights. High-tap ONLY effects the solenoid voltages. The 6 volts used for the bulbs aren't effected. They use a separate winding on the transformer. Well, this isn't completely true. If your Gottlieb game has a light feature like "Last Ball In Play", high-tap could roast that particular bulb (only). This happens because some feature lights run off the 30 volt solenoid voltage and use a 75 ohm 10 watt resistor to knock the 30 volt current down for 6 volt lamps. If you go to high-tap, you may need to increase this resistor to 125 ohms. Otherwise those select bulbs (only) will burn too hot. These lamps can be easily seen on Gottlieb schematics. All the normal 6 volt lamps will be on the upper left corner. If a lamp is shown on the shematics in the same section as coils and relays, then there will be a drop-down resistor to limit its lamp current.

#12 7 years ago

In theory, the game should have all 4 leveler legs bottomed out, no added pitch. This provides the built in pitch (3.5 degrees I believe). But most people don't like a game that floaty. I certainly don't.

If they are the original coils (not replaced with new ones) then, they could be tired and need new ones. Not sure about using a slightly different winding combination for a bit more power.

My Champ (similar messenger ball game) was very weak and you could only hit the special target when freshly waxed. I ended up replacing that link-less style flipper with the later design like used in Solid State era (and later model EMs) with excellent results.

In fact, after doing the upgrade, I found it necessary to install an alternator relay to alternate the two special targets to make it a bit harder for skilled players (game was operated in the field).

#13 7 years ago

Make sure the return springs are not too tight. Just enough to bring the flipper back to starting position (with playfield down) is enough. Any more than that, and the coil is (unnecessarily) fighting the resistance of the spring.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Make sure the return springs are not too tight. Just enough to bring the flipper back to starting position (with playfield down) is enough. Any more than that, and the coil is fighting the resistance of the spring.

I am pretty sure this style flipper assembly uses the cone compression springs, not torsion wind up springs. Not really adjustable other than to start hacking off loops - which I don't recommend!!!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I am pretty sure this style flipper assembly uses the cone compression springs, not torsion wind up springs.

Correct, not an issue on a Bally. I do sometimes reposition them on Gottlieb EMs as the return springs offer way too much resistance.

#16 7 years ago

Huh--saw no mention of a Bally.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Huh--saw no mention of a Bally.

It's linked but your are right should be in the title. This is a Bally Flicker

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's linked but your are right should be in the title. This is a Bally Flicker

Bally not being I title my fault. Ignorance is no excuse. Won't happen again. Apologies from the newbie.

#19 7 years ago

I really like Yellow-Dot coils for a Gottlieb, not sure a suitable equivalent is available for Bally. I have never removed wire from a coil for better performance (described at Pinrepair) but it looks easy.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I really like Yellow-Dot coils for a Gottlieb, not sure a suitable equivalent is available for Bally. I have never removed wire from a coil for better performance (described at Pinrepair) but it looks easy.

I don't think it's a good idea to try that on a flipper coil.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think it's a good idea to try that on a flipper coil.

Isn't that what a Yellow-Dot is? A stock coil with wiring removed?

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Isn't that what a Yellow-Dot is? A stock coil with wiring removed?

No, actually, a Yellow Dot Gottlieb coil is nothing more than a coil wound to the Williams EM flipper recipe. Not sure what an orange dot one is but its probably even fewer windings than the yellow dot. Either that, or a larger wire gauge for the kick winding.

Its all about the kick winding (thicker wire, smaller wire gauge number).

Looking at the original Bally Catalog, Flicker was populated with A25-600 / 28-800 coils. Looking at what The Pinball Resource has to offer, I only see weaker coils, not stronger ones.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

No, actually, a Yellow Dot Gottlieb coil is nothing more than a coil wound to the Williams EM flipper recipe. Not sure what an orange dot one is but its probably even fewer windings than the yellow dot. Either that, or a larger wire gauge for the kick winding.
Its all about the kick winding (thicker wire, smaller wire gauge number).
Looking at the original Bally Catalog, Flicker was populated with A25-600 / 28-800 coils. Looking at what The Pinball Resource has to offer, I only see weaker coils, not stronger ones.

The orange dots are more powerful than a standard coil, less powerful than a yellow dot So they're in between in terms of resistance. I don't know if they did that with less windings or a larger wire gauge, but I suspect bigger gauge because if you just took the windings off a standard coil, its resistance is already really low.

For the advice above, you can't unwind turns off a flipper coil. It has two separate windings in it. This isn't aimed at you, Jack, but at the advice someone else gave above.

#24 7 years ago

Thanks, I knew the orange dot Gottlieb was created I only assumed it was stonger than a yellow dot. Which certainly are too strong IMO.

And you are also correct that someone is not going to be able to "tune" a premade flipper coil since just about every one has the hold winding (thinner wires) on the outside with the kick winding being against the bobbin. Taking turns off the hold winding isn't going to change the strength.

There are very old Bally coils that were "stacked" with a divider between the two ends forming two separate bobbins to wind the coils on.

There is another alternative which proves to be almost too strong without opening the EOS very large. And that is to use a standard solid state DC flipper coil. These 6 amp, 800 volt flat leaded bridges (KBL608) from China run about $0.50 each in 10 or more quantity. They make it very easy to attach the wires and straddle the outside coil lugs. Here is a photo of a pop bumper but the same applies to a flipper coil. Except with a DC flipper coil, there are diodes installed so you need to make sure the + of the bridge goes to the outside lug with the stripe on the diode (cathode). Plus, with 50vdc flipper coils, there are a few strength choices.

IMG_20170401_102639514 (resized).jpgIMG_20170401_102639514 (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

If you didn't review it already, try checking out my post in Vid's thread. Here is a link.

This is for the Bally Bon Voyage, which of similar vintage AND it also has the captive ball that you have to push up to the target. So the situation is very similar. I got this working the way I thought it should as described here. One of the keys is "loading up the tension" on that EOS switch while the flipper is in the down position.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/26#post-3003646

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-flipper-after-rebuild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.