(Topic ID: 337471)

Weak Flipper

By Chumwon

10 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 months ago

Hello, I was curious if any of you knew what would be causing my one weak flipper. I put a rebuild kit in it and now just did the coil and leaf contact. It's quite wimpy and buzzes bad when holding it. It's the matching number coil as the other side and nothing changed from before I did anything to it. The wiring and soldering seem okay other than there is newer speaker wire going from coil to contact.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 10 months ago

Chances are your EOS switch needs to be adjusted. Should be closed at rest, then when the flipper reaches its end, the blades should be open about 1/16" of an inch. The switches can look like they're closed but be just barely open. Not a bad idea to rough new EOS switches up a bit too with a contact cleaning file. Also check the flipper cabinet switch, make sure it's not pitted/misadjusted

#3 10 months ago
    Quoted from Chumwon:

The wiring and soldering seem okay other than there is newer speaker wire going from coil to contact.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wait a second...what? Speaker wire? Do u have a pic?

Knxwledge is probably right, the end of stroke switch needs to be adjusted. It should only open about 1/16", and not until the very end of the stroke - if it opens too early it's robbing power from the flipper.

#4 10 months ago

You guys were right, I adjusted that gap and she rips now! Maybe even slightly stronger than the good side lol. Might have to adjust that too. It does still buzz when I hold it but if that's the worst thing I'll take it.

I don't have a picture of the wire but yeah looks like 14ga speaker wire going to the eos on that side. It was already there so I just put it back on.

Thanks guys, much obliged!!

#5 10 months ago
    Quoted from Chumwon:

You guys were right, I adjusted that gap and she rips now! Maybe even slightly stronger than the good side lol. Might have to adjust that too. It does still buzz when I hold it but if that's the worst thing I'll take it.
    I don't have a picture of the wire but yeah looks like 14ga speaker wire going to the eos on that side. It was already there so I just put it back on.
    Thanks guys, much obliged!!

Speaker wire's not ideal but wire is wire, as long as it's done cleanly and correctly it should be fine. Some buzzing is typical on EM flippers, even after a rebuild.
    Williams games seem to be the worst offender in my experience. Not sure if it's down to the quality of the repro parts, or how the flippers were designed from the factory. What game are you working on? You should update your collection. Welcome to Pinside

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Speaker wire's not ideal but wire is wire, as long as it's done cleanly and correctly it should be fine. Some buzzing is typical on EM flippers, even after a rebuild.
    Williams games seem to be the worst offender in my experience. Not sure if it's down to the quality of the repro parts, or how the flippers were designed from the factory. What game are you working on? You should update your collection. Welcome to Pinside

Yes, sorry I thought I had it on there. It is a williams swinger. Yeah I agree the speaker wire isn't my favorite thing so eventually I should solder some good wire in there.

Thanks and I'm happy to be here!

#7 10 months ago

You fixed it, that's what counts!

Play away!

#8 10 months ago

Some things that help with flipper buzz in the hold position. 1. Check the return spring tension. Weaker tension is better and doesn't fight the flipper in the hold position. 2. Did the rebuild kit include a new coil stop? That will help too. 3. Coil is sitting nice and tight. With those checks you might eliminate some or most of of the buzz.

#9 10 months ago

When I have a buzz on I get a weak flipper also.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-flipper-6?hl=flipsteen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.