• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi all..

So lets see if I can explain this correctly. I have been playing a lot of my Sky Jump trying to get a real feel for the game. Its amazing how addictive it is, trying to light all those numbers up then trying to make the 10x shot for each drop number.. but I have been noticing something as I get better at the game.. Every now and then the ball will start rolling from the top of the PF and I know its gonna be pretty close to the edge of one of my flippers.. so I will extend my flipper before the ball hits it right on the edge. That way the ball can bounce off the edge and onto the opposite flipper for a good clean shot. But my problem is.. sometimes the ball will actually hit the flipper right on the edge and the flipper will get pushed back down by the ball which will then drain right down the center..

I feel like the flipper is not strong enough to stay actuated up when the ball hits it near the end of it. I hope that makes sense... Maybe I haven't played enough EM pinball in a long long time and this is how it is, or maybe I could use new coils? Let me end by saying this.. if I remove the glass and try and push the flipper down with my hand there is not a lot of play in the linkage at all.. its is all pretty tight. I doubt I need a rebuild kit as it all seems pretty good with not a lot of slop at all.. but the coils seem like they are original..

Ok what say the experts? Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Your flipper coil has two coils wound around the bobbin. One for high power to kick the ball and another for low power to trap the ball. The End Of Stroke (EOS) switch is initially closed to bypass current around the low power coil. So when you first press the flipper button the high power coil starts moving the flipper with a lot of force. Once the flipper has reached the end of its swing (or stroke) the flipper pawl opens the EOS switch under the playfield which forces the current through both the high power and low power coils, effectively reducing the current and power through both coils.

If your EOS switch is opening too soon, your flipper is weaker than intended. Adjust the EOS switch so that it opens just as the flipper reaches the end of its stroke.

More detail and video at https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards#Flippers

/Mark

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Your flipper coil has two coils wound around the bobbin. One for high power to kick the ball and another for low power to trap the ball. The End Of Stroke (EOS) switch is initially closed to bypass current around the low power coil. So when you first press the flipper button the high power coil starts moving the flipper with a lot of force. Once the flipper has reached the end of its swing (or stroke) the flipper pawl opens the EOS switch under the playfield which forces the current through both the high power and low power coils, effectively reducing the current and power through both coils.
If your EOS switch is opening too soon, your flipper is weaker than intended. Adjust the EOS switch so that it opens just as the flipper reaches the end of its stroke.
More detail and video at https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards#Flippers
/Mark

I noticed the EOS switch was engaging at the end of the stroke, but I will double check tomorrow. thanks for the link.. some good info there..

#4 5 years ago

To some extent, this is normal on EMs with AC flippers. The coil just isn't strong enough to stay in position when it's hit hard by the ball.

#5 5 years ago

put the transformer on high tap

#6 5 years ago

People report good results with the GTB-A5141A Yellow dot flipper coils
http://www.pbresource.com/coilgtb.html

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

People report good results with the GTB-A5141A Yellow dot flipper coils
http://www.pbresource.com/coilgtb.html

thanks, this was my next purchase..

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

thanks, this was my next purchase..

Those things are way powerful. For a game like Sky Jump, with the drops as close to the flippers as they are, I wouldn't do it. I've only broken one drop target ever, and that was caused by the drops resetting and catching the ball between the top of the drop and the plastic, but still, on this game, I think with yellow dots, you're really running a risk.

I put a pair of yellow dots on a Big Indian one time, wanting more power to get to the drops which are all the way up at the top of the playfield. I was getting glass on that shot. You're going to get a ridiculous rebound hitting drops on Sky Jump with yellow dots installed. They are just really, really strong.

Steve makes orange dots too. They're stronger than a usual flipper coil but not as strong as the yellow dots. Before even doing that, I'd make sure the EOS is clean and adjusted strongly, and also the actual flipper switch on the flipper button. Those can affect flipper strength too.

I have never experienced what you're describing with a rebuilt flipper mechanism. That game is 45 years old. If the flippers have never been rebuilt, I'd rebuild them. Without exception, every game I restore gets a bumper and flipper rebuild. It's well worth the time and effort, and cost.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I have never experienced what you're describing with a rebuilt flipper mechanism. That game is 45 years old. If the flippers have never been rebuilt, I'd rebuild them. Without exception, every game I restore gets a bumper and flipper rebuild. It's well worth the time and effort, and cost.

If I'm understanding the description correctly, I get that with rebuilt mechs all the time

Can you post a video of what's happening?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
$ 3.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-flipper-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.