13 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by shock_me
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

I've got a problem with an eject coil on High Speed. The coil will barely fire when activated during play, (it's the top right saucer eject coil). When manually triggered by grounding the coil lug it fires strong. It also fires very strong when it's associated transistor is manually grounded, ie when I ground the transistor tab to the ground braid in the backbox. The transistor also tests perfect when tested after removing the CPU. All connections seem to be fine and the CPU has just been totally gone over and repaired recently. I changed out the coil, and the trigger switch in the saucer, just to rule them out.

For what it's worth, the coil fires very weak during the diagnostic coil test as well. Any ideas??

Thanks

#2 13 years ago

Could there be a bad trace from the transistor to ground?Check back of the board for a cold solder joint in that area.If everything is good there,I would change the transistor.According to pin repair guide, a transistor can test good but be bad.Like to hear what you come up with.

#3 13 years ago

Does the ground trace go through any other components after the transistor?

Thanks

#4 13 years ago

Should go straight to ground.

#5 13 years ago

Fixed! It was a bad pre-driver transistor. I was hesitant to believe that the problem was on the board, because I just had it serviced and tested. Guess this one slipped by the test!
    Anyways it's all good in High Speed land! Fun game! Too bad I have to give it back to the owner. Luckily the owner is my brother!

Thanks brz for the input!

Pete

#6 13 years ago

ummmmm........ Since it's your brother, you could always tell him you're still trying to track down the problem... ; )

Dispatch this is 504.... suspect ran a red light over...Roger 504 apprehend.

#7 13 years ago

LOL! Yeah, I figure he owes me a few games on this thing. I've been restoring it for almost a year! On and off of course!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-eject-coilsystem-11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.