(Topic ID: 281933)

Weak coils across multiple games. Is it my house‘s power?

By MikeCP

61 days ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by vireland
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Spike Coil Testing Chart (resized).jpg
20201120_130847 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 60 days ago
Quoted from MikeCP:

Bummer - Well, thanks everyone.
Kinda back to square one. I agree flipper fade is real, but it seems to happen way too fast for me.

Which spike2 games? Some are worse than others. Here's the chart for the ones I've tested with a temp probe on each coil so far:

Spike Coil Testing Chart (resized).jpg
#17 59 days ago
Quoted from MikeCP:

Avengers Premium is the latest culprit. Auto plunger is garbage. Left flipper can't hit Capt Marvel after like 10 minutes.
Had similar issues with JP, but that was mainly the auto plunger being an issue.

Avengers does have issues with coil heat/fade (which the cooling kit fixes), but the temp and fade on that stock machine is a very gradual increase from the testing I've done. What's your playfield pitch? Your room ambient temperature?

#20 59 days ago
Quoted from MikeCP:

Playfield pitch is ~6.5. Ambient Temp ~70 F.

Yeah, and it's the 2nd machine in a row. So I'm at a loss. Considered buying a kill-a-watt. That website is laughably broken.
I hesitate to call an electrician to make my flippers not fade so far!

Very weird. Is this new or have machines always done this? Do you have any cell towers very near by? It would have to be some OTA interference because once the proper power level goes into that power supply (which you confirmed you have), it's putting out ~48v and that's all the machine sees. Have you put a meter on the power supply output with clips and watched the output in realtime as you play? Very weird...

#23 59 days ago
Quoted from Teamhex:

Can you wire up a fan to blow on the coils? Or at least move air around them?

If this was Stranger Things, I would say 20-30 minutes to fade is reasonable, but Avengers is a REALLY SLOW build to substantial fade, so it seems unlikely that's what this is.

Maybe take a multimeter and see what your flipper coil resistance is (ohms) when cold vs as soon as you notice fade?

#26 59 days ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Question - I know the weak flippers is an issue but are we really sure the flippers getting hot is really the cause?

In such a short period of playing time, it seems unlikely to be the cause as far as I'm concerned. But anything's possible I guess.

#32 58 days ago

Hahaha, that's ridiculous. Bigger is not always better. Those are WAYYYYY too big for the job. My personal preference is for as small and clean an install as possible.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside