(Topic ID: 281933)

Weak coils across multiple games. Is it my house‘s power?

By MikeCP

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Spike Coil Testing Chart (resized).jpg
20201120_130847 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeCP:

Greetings
General tech/power question that goes beyond my expertise and experience thus far.
I’ve had a few games in a row in my house that were in great shape, a few of which were NIB Sterns. It seems consistently that my flippers and auto plungers were underpowered. Within 20 minutes of playing a game, I’d start to see fade.
For example, NIB Jurassic Park. Auto plunger would work maybe 90% of the time cold, but get deep enough into one game and it’d start to miss the ramp. And the kicker on this one is that I sold it to someone that said they didn’t have auto plunging issues at all.
Another example is the captain marvel ramp in avengers. From a trap it’s possible to hit the ramp cold, but maybe 10 minutes into a game? Impossible.
Can you offer any avenues of research I can explore? Or perhaps terminology I can have an electrician I can look into?
Thanks

As the coils warm up with use their power decreases. Does not sound like a line voltage problem.

On JP the shooter lane has a metal looking fork with two screws. Take the screws out. Put a small washer under only the left side and then screw back down. That helped my JP to be almost 100% reliable on the auto launch. Keeps the ball on track again the right wall and not rattling around.

The flipper power fade is real. You should want it so even in the worst case scenario it can make all the shots without much trouble. In the test mode there is a flipper power adjustment you can try playing with. Even possibly adjustments to the problem ramp could help. Something like a loose screw can suck a lot of momentum out of a ball.

#12 3 years ago

It is not the line voltage. In new stern games there is a switch mode power supply that really does not care about the line voltage as long as between 100vac to 240vac you get 48vdc out.

Flipper fade is real.

Let the flipper get weak after continuous play. Then stop playing for 30min to let the coil cool down while leaving the game on. Then try again and flippers will be back to full power.

20201120_130847 (resized).jpg20201120_130847 (resized).jpg
#28 3 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Question - I know the weak flippers is an issue but are we really sure the flippers getting hot is really the cause?

In his case hard to say as I don't know if its been correlated when coil feels hot flipper is weak. But for absolute sure hot flipper coils can cause weak flippers and follows Stern games back into the Sega era as my Sega Baywatch has this problem. A couple years ago I put two 12vdc fans in a game and had them pointed right at the flipper coils. Made a huge difference in heavy play like league night when the game gets four player games on it a couple hours straight.

PWM in place of a secondary hold winding seems like it is the causes the flipper coils to heat up faster.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 34.00
$ 35.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Trade
Machine - For Sale
Modesto, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-coils-across-multiple-games-is-it-my-houses-power?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.