Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DaMoib
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Working through a couple small things on a recent trade... the chimes are pretty weak sounding and I'm looking for pointers. The chime unit itself seems good, looks like it may have even been rebuilt recently. If I jumper to each chime individually from power they sound nice but while the game is playing they are just not very strong. You mainly hear the thunk of the score reels firing, barely hear the chimes, especially when they are in a 5x repeat situation.

Based on all of that, it seems like somewhere in the path something might be limiting the current that is firing each chime coil, especially in rapid succession. My plan was to look at each scoring relay first, and then try to keep working along the circuit until I hopefully find something that livens them up. The fact that it's most apparent when it's a 5x rapid score makes me wonder if it's a switch on the score reel.

Guessing this will just take some patience and persistence but if anyone has any tips please chime in... thanks.

#2 1 year ago

Clean and closely gap the chime contacts on the score relays

Make sure the eos on each score reel is working so you get a full pulse

Clean the Jones plugs in the head and tension the prongs

Make sure the plunger tips aren't worn

Is the pad under the plungers new?

#3 1 year ago

The coil sleeves and plungers need to be cleaned. It seems gottlieb chime sleeves need cleaning more often than others.

#4 1 year ago

If all 3 sound equally weak, it may be the common wire that connects and jumpers to all 3 chime coils

#5 1 year ago

The pad under the plungers looks good. I'll check the things mentioned here, thank you. The score reels sounded loud to me (not a buzz, just the thwack) so it would be good to take a look at them anyway.

#6 1 year ago

Cleaning and re-gapping the contacts on the score relays helped quite a bit, didn't have time to check the EOS's yet.

#7 1 year ago

This would not be common, but I once had a Spirit of 76 that someone had put a Bally chime unit in. You could hardly hear the chimes, because a Bally pin uses twice the voltage of a Gottlieb, so the chimes were only getting half the voltage they were designed for. Just in case you haven’t checked the labels on the coils, I thought I’d mention the possibility.

#8 1 year ago

Two other things to check:

Are the plungers right (plastic) side up?
Chime bars are nice and loose?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Covington, LA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-chimes-late-70s-gottlieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.