(Topic ID: 68330)

WE will not give STERN anymore of our money until codes are finished!!

By Rcade

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 319 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you ever buy another NIB Stern?”

• Nope. They've lost my business for good with their poor code update structure and PR 55 votes
    15%
  • Not until they fix current codes that are clearly unfinished and continue to release games with more complete code 256 votes
    68%
  • Yes. Ive never had a problem with the current system. Play pinball!! 67 votes
    18%

(378 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Christopher-Walken.jpg
image-124.jpg
back to the future.png
popcorn eat good.gif
image.jpg
stern.gif
mistake.jpg
codes.jpg
images-1.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I know, I know. EVERYONE keeps bringing this up in every thread, but I figured I would make an official "I'll never buy another NIB Stern again until recent title's codes get finished/revisited" thread.

Of course "finished" is subjective to each individual, but you get my point, guys. We've been bitching long enough, and as tempted as we may be with the new Stern products, we must make a stand with our dollars and not support Stern's current trend of releasing really cool pins with abandonware code.

So I'm,are this thread to 1) Show Stern the large portion of their consumer base they're souring and rejecting with their bade code practices and TERRIBLE PR. And 2) to write our names down to hold us accountable to our claims that Stern will not get a other dime from "us" until they have addressed these issues and become more "ethical" (as ethical as a business model can be) in their releasing practices.

Enough is enough. They need to see this list of consumers they're losing.

Will this little collection of names make a huge enough dent in Stern's dottom line to make them "care"? Maybe, maybe not. But at least it's on record, haha. Anyways.....

I'm Ryan, and my last Stern purchase was and will be X-Men LE Wolverine until they're coding and PR practices improve! Until then, any $$ I have to spend in this hobby WILL go to other manufacturers.

#5 10 years ago

Releasing games with promised modes that aren't there MONTHS after release is a horse of a different color.

I'm well aware of the current code updating world we live in, and there's no qualms with that. It's to be expected. I'm not expecting manufacturers to release with 100% finished code, I'm merely saying that leaving code unfinished months/years after the fact after its been released and they've gotten the necessary feedback ad ignoring it and moving on without telling their consumers the future plans for said games is awful.

Jersey Jack TALKS to their customers/the community about their code issues and lets us know what's coming up and what's being addressed. JJP is also making their first game, so it's expected to be rough getting off the ground. I will have less slack cut to them for TH

Stern has been around for a long time, and should know better being the "elder statesman" in the business. They need to do their best and COMMUNICATING with their customers past just the pin that's currently out. Want to stop all the constant nagging questions about code updates to your previous games? Update them!! Can't update them because there is not enough manpower to support it? Then SLOW DOWN.

I see the point you're trying to make, but I feel in this case your application of comparison is not apt to the situation.

Quoted from silver_spinner:

they are still recoding wizard Of Oz as well so it goes the same, i don't think spending money elsewhere is an answer.
also, , and iphones, and computers, and anything else in the digital world are always code upgraded after actual release.
with NEW pins:
bugs, ways to curb game play, learning to de-exploit exploited found game strategies, and system needs will always default code upgrades. "testing" at the factory isn't the same as test in real world situations so they cant address everything before release.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And to the OP about PR, Sterns PR is actually pretty good. Star Trek was all over Pinside. Pinball nerds knowing a feature is there, but not knowing details sends us into a frenzy. It is by design that nobody at Stern walks into the factory and snaps a picture.

You're confusing PR for marketing.

Stern's marketing is awesome. They know how to tease something to get e community to talk about it, release subtle hints about upcoming releases through the background of FB posts. They have their shit together on that

Public Relations is the connection, communication and rapport they have with their consumer base. Granted, their DIRECT consumer base is the distributors, of which I am not, so the distribs could be getting great news and communication that they are asked not to leak as they are the ones giving the $$ straight to Stern. But to ignore the "rest" of us is just biting the hand that feeds.

Stern's PR is currently terrible with "us". They delete anything remotely critical or inquisitive about code on their FB page. They HAD to have seen the "revolt" that's happening about TF, XM, MET and ST (though ST just got released, hasn't been a month yet, so appropriate slack cut) yet they have said nothing to address the community's concerns. This is bad PR. The way the "public" is starting to view them is deteriorating. This needs to be rectified.

For the record, again: Stern makes some kick-ass games that have awesome layouts and feel great with some great recent art packages and light shows, but it all doesn't mean anything in the end without fun code. MET it great to play, but I'd get bored with it after a month. XM, thankfully, is ALMOST there code wise, and has yet to bore me, but its gaps in code are gaping. My issue is with code completion practices and their communication with "us".

And hiring one new programmer doesn't necessarily equate into all their old titles getting "finished", it might make future game releases more complete, but I would t assume they're there just to focus on old code.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

I'm out as well and I spend a crap load o' cash on new pins. At least JJP is selling a product that seems to be updating relatively quickly in comparison.

Comparing the rate at which JJP updates code and Stern updates code is not fair.

JJP has one game to worry about, Stern has multiple. Granted, Stern has to sleep in the bed they've made, they've chosen to produce X number of titles a year, but they're also a larger company with more overhead, more employees, more $$ being spent of marketing, more designers etc etc etc.

The difference here is the COMMUNICATION of code goings ons. JJP's relationship with his customers is great, he lets them know what is planed, sometimes itemized, and tries to fulfill that. If he fails at it, he admits it and moves on to try and rectify it.

It wouldn't take much effort for Stern to release statements about TF, XM or MET to let us know what's in store for those titles. What features they still plan on updating in them and a very rough window of time. Just something is better than nothing. SOMETHING to let us know they are really listening to us, and not just deleting everything and moving on.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

So does anyone think Stern is looking at this thread and thinking that they should speak up on the subject of unfinished code?

I would hope so. One of the reasons I decided to start the thread.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Spam Sterns facebook posts with this image and "any day now" We can do it!

images-1.jpeg 10 KB

Lol. I would Flank, but I can't even read the text in it :/

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Most people say they will never buy another Stern until the code is fixed, but as soon as the next super duper LE comes out every one of them will be tripping over themselves to put down a deposit.
"Not buying another Ste....OMFG, WALKING DEAD LE, it's soooooooooo kewwwwwwwwwl!!!!"

"Launch goggles" are a big issue here. But I can't worry about "policing" other people's actions. All I know is that even though I love some of the releases after I got my XM, I have still held true to myself and never bought another NIB.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No, no, no.
Not even the same ball park. In fact, not even the same sport!
There is nothing *wrong* with MET's current code, other than not being complete. The initial code in XMen had so much wrong with it I wouldn't even know where to start. There is no comparison in my opinion.

I must agree.
MET is obviously not finished, but XM had to have the entire rules philosophy redone after that first code release.

Having said that, the current XM rules are awesome and show great potential. Quality of the coding is still lacking, though.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Instead of just posting here why not post on their twitter account @sternpinballinc and do a hash tag #fixyourcode or #finishyourcode

I don't mess with twitter, otherwise this sounds like a great idea. Flood them with those hashtags and see what happens!

#83 10 years ago

Distributors: as the poll stand right now (and assuming everyone lives up to their word on this), you're losing a ton of potential $$ on NIB sales/demand. Let Stern know about this, that they are costing YOU more potential buyers!

Assuming everyone that's currently "out" of buying new Stern NIB releases would buy just pro model Sterns, that's approx. (as the poll currently stands) $742,500.00 in money that possibly would have been going to you for NIB Sterns, but are instead now going toother manufacturers, or (worse for distribs) into older Titles.

And that's just one one release. Some of us got every NIB that Stern released but now aren't.

Whether that makes a difference or not, thought I would just quantify the current poll results.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This is correct, except with the advent of the "Premium" version the risk of the above happening has been reduced greatly.

Yeah. I feel like the scenario Indypin talks about has only recently happened with ACDC LEs. Tron LE's will also start taking a hit with the pro ramp mods now. The only thing missing is DPMB, and that's now enough to get me to cough up the extra $$ for an LE. With ACDC I really am baffled as to why LEs still sell for what they sell for, as that one is purely cosmetic. The premiums play the same and are fantastic at 4k less.

And to that point, the current process is simple....
-WAIT to play a new title in person. Enjoy the initial excitement when the game is announced, get into it and speculate, whatever you want, it's fun! But wait to play it before you order.
-if you miss an LE, you can grab a premium down the line, and still be confident that you like the product IN ITS CURRENT STATE code wise.

-ACDC LE went up in price
-XMLE went down in a big bad way
-TAV went down
-METLE went up shortly, but the premiums are awesome, so the METLE prices aren't out of control and are normalizing.
-ST we will wait and see, but I wouldn't think it would have a crazy appreciation....there's 700 of them!!

Ultimately, the market will dictate what you can sell for, so what do I know :/

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

it is code, not codes...

Multiple games with code that's not finished, thus "codes". It might not be contextually or grammatically correct, but you get my point :p

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

"I'll never buy a Stern with incomplete code again!"
[Walking Dead announced]
"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

I can only speak for myself, but I would LOVE a TWD pin, and even though in my head I will be screaming "TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!" I wouldn't move on it at all until 6-8 months after release so I can see how its code is handled.

Patience is a virtue, and I really want to stand by my feelings towards Stern on this.

Until then, I will GLADLY give my local route operators my hard earned $$, as I should, playing it until I decide.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I just picked up Ac/dc almost 2 years after release, so it can be done...

This needs to be addressed to be clear here:
ACDC is the outlier here, but also proves our points....
ACDC is STILL selling NIBs and is in demand two years after release because the community sees that the machine is "complete".
ACDC prem is currently a NIB I would buy, but it is not apropos to this thread topic because the title is "complete" and had been given the necessary attention with multiple updates.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Do we really think that we can "browbeat" them into submission?

Nope. Don't expect anything, that way I'm never disappointed. I do HOPE, however, that distribs will see the numbers in the poll here and take that into consideration when getting supplied by Stern, and that should trickle down to Stern's bottom line.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from Ex0r:

Only problem I see is that it will first hit the distributors and not Stern, so might take a while until Stern itself recognize the problem if sales to the distributors finally start declining ...

Yes. To be clear, my intent for this thread is NOT to take $$ out of great guys like JJ and Trent's pockets, quite the contrary. I want them to SEE how many of us will not be in on the next Stern products so they can adjust the quantities they plan on getting accordingly to NOT take a hit and be more efficient.

The lower amount of machines bought by distribs will hopefully not be lost of Stern and they will adjust positively to rectify these issues rather than avoiding it, or "dumbing down" the products from then on out, which will just cost them (and the distribs) more money in the long run.....

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Well till people quit buying they will not listen, but shouldn't this be said for all that manufacture pinball machines not just Stern? Why not say the same about JJP? I played the 1.22 on WOZ and that game has holes in the code like no other. That's too bad for a new game...

Because JJP at least has great communication with their customers as it pertains to code plans and time frames.

Stern ignores.

Big difference.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Rcade really? JJP has one game and clearly has the time & energy to shipped a better product than 1.22. The code is so bad it was really hard to figure out what you're doing. I don't want to hold a button in and find the screen that tells me what to hit. Plus the flashing lights are over the top, how can I tell what light is on and not flashing. It's great that we could get hold of Lloyd and ask what the hell's going on but why should we have to make a call on a NIB game? Point is why are you giving a pass to one and not the other? It sure seems like many are bias. It's OK for JJP but not Stern. I'd prefer to have a game shipped that is fun to play with no issues. Again as long as people line up to buy then the code is the code. I played ST and MET Pro and they seem decent to me, maybe I'm wrong.

I made no mention to JJP's code being more "complete" than the typical Stern. I'm not a JJP apologist, I have ZERO interest in owning a WOZ (just not fun play for me) so I have no vested interest in defending JJP. And I see that the WOZ code is woefully incomplete.

My comparison in giving JJP a little "slack" is because they COMMUNICATE well with their consumer base. They at least give their customers the comfort of communication, which Stern so far has not.

And ask me again about JJP after they've had a few games under their belt. If they show no improvement in code implementation after learning from their WOZ experience, the shame on them. And they too will be lumped into the same boat.

That's where the difference lies, in the common rapport of communication with their customers.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

This campaign is picking up steam. The OP was on our local news last night:
» YouTube video

Lol! See you tonight at Hi-Life Johnny! You guys can all bust my balls then, I guess :p

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Hmmm, can't really see distributors dropping Stern unless Stern has alot more competition and that competition rolls out polished code.(Doesn't exist--yet.) Frankly, I'm happy with 1.2 on my STID and knowing that an additional code will come sometime. Kinda like waiting for Christmas!

Didn't bring up/say anything about distribs "dropping" Stern altogether, what I said was they would order LESS machines than they do now, thus costing Stern some money and making sure they as distribs don't get stuck with games they can't move efficiently.

#131 10 years ago

Will do, I hate parking when I go to Hi-Life, but I guess I'll make due since it's for pinball :p

#197 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Populist comments and movements rarely accomplish anything.

...............so you're tellin' me there's a chance? YEAAAAAAH!!

#208 10 years ago

At least on my end I'm not. Can't speak for anybody else that voted, but I'm out until they apply better communications about code updates and prove that they intend on "finishing" game code within a relatively reasonable timeframe after a new release.

#238 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Yea...thats me allright. I really love the game and the toys on it. But being that Stern actually listed a "danger room" mode on the game card that I have heard does not exist could that be a potential legal liability? Obviously I have not gotten far enough into the game to find out if it is there, but other posts have indicated it does not exist.

Danger mode exists and has in full capacity since a couple updates ago. Dark Pheonix animations were finished and implemented with the most recent update, but the rules therein are the "Lonnie Special" currently. The last Wizard mode in XM is all text at the moment though.

Deadpool mode, although not on the card, has been an option in the adjustments menu since day one, and still doesn't exist, heck, there's only ONE sound call out that is possibly Deadpool in the game code current.y, but nothing other than that.

#242 10 years ago
Quoted from criss:

I think its people like you that are pushing up the prices to stupid levels . You run out like children wanting the latest Xbox game but in your case its a pin .

Nope. Prices are at stupid levels because:
1) Pinball machine are EXPENSIVE to make, and in order for manufacturers to make this thing called "profit", they have to sell them for higher than it costs to make them. Expensive BOM + profit margin = more expensive.
2) Flippers taking advantage of the "new blood" in the hobby, bumping prices up incrementally on older pins because some new hobbyists might not know any better and they SELL at that price. Other non-flipper hobbyists see them moving at those inflated prices and, not wanting to "lose out" on extra money, sell their pins at the flipper costs. Flippers see this and raise their asking prices and rinse repeat until they reach a price point at which the pin will not sell, then the price settles.

Quoted from criss:

Play the pins you have for awhile , chill and enjoy them . Once you get a chance to play a newer machine and you like what the package offers , then purchase .

Um, yes. I do/have. But unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money to throw into pins, so my purchasing an XM (which I enjoyed playing prior to purchasing) was a HUGE purchase for me, way above what I planned. And while the game is currently a blast to play and I love it, it is obviously unfinished/unpolished code. Knowing the crazy amount I spent on this luxury item, and seeing how it has turned out, THAT is why I don't plan on buying another NIB (if I'm ever fortunate enough to get the money to do again) until I see that Stern is standing by their products fully even after release and communicating effectively with their consumer base.

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

So now all new comers to pinball are all grouped in a category of yours: "new hobbyists don't know any better"
what? like any new player to the hobby can't think or research or get a good deal just because you think you have years of knowledge and maybe a seniority feeling?
I think new comers to this hobby can figure out what a pin is worth. To group all new hobbyist this way is insulting.

You are correct, No insult intended. Bad phrasing on my part, I have edited my post. I did not mean to lump every new hobbyist with a broad stroke, and I wasn't trying to be pejorative to new hobbyists, we were ALL new at one point. My fault for not phrasing correctly, sorry.

#249 10 years ago

Don't feel bad. If you hadn't pointed it out, I most likely wouldn't have noticed it and others would have possibly taken it the wrong way as well. Trust me, pointing it out to me was very helpful, thanks!

#256 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This thread is pretty nuts. It started out ok with good intent. But when you have complainers about acdc code, which is freaking awesome. And people citing how fantastic woz code is, with its ridiculously incomplete code, its clear that most are just hating to hate.

This is a good point, Markmon.

I really hope that my initial intent for starting this thread isn't lost. I wasn't trying to facilitate an arena to just spew negativity. I just wanted to voice my concerns as a frustrated customer in hopes that MAYBE someone at Stern MIGHT take these concerns into consideration in future projects, because I know that the issue if "incomplete" code, slow code updates and poor communication seem to always pop up on this forum.

But I guess I should expect it, when people vent (including myself) we can sometimes veer off into negativity for negativity's sake.

I've stated a few times throughout this thread that I love Stern games, I'm not trying to "bury" Stern or anything like that, just trying to quantify that their current business culture of poor communication and coding habits might be costing them a little money in the future.

And you're right, Xmen is awesome as is, I think, I'm a huge champion of that game, as my forum activity will trumpet. But it still saddens me that XM could be an absolute top tier game if they took the time to clean some stuff up and add a few things to finish it out and bring it all together. Just frustrating is all, I would hope that you and other hobbyists could see that.

#271 10 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Wolverine's mode is on the card but not in the game...

Not quite. It WAS correct when the card came out.

The release code, which the card was based on, had Wolvie mode separate from WXMB. But after the complete rules overhaul after the release code, the instruction card is no longer valid in some spots, because the entire rule layout has changed.

So while it is CURRENTLY inaccurate, it WAS correct when they made the card for the release code.

.....although it still doesn't excuse them from not making updated cards for the games manufactured after the release code overhaul.

#274 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Interesting. I remember on version 1.0 that shipped, there was a Wolverine mode, but the release had scoring errors so it was updated a few days later. Does anyone remember what the mode was like? Didn't you have to beat magneto in order to start collecting anything? I remember the first version of the rules was very linear but the first couple of games I was unable to beat Magneto to get anything going...

Correct. In The release code you had to bear Mags right off the bat to be Able to collect the heroes. It was pretty bad.

#277 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Does anyone remember what the mode was like?

About 9:45 in he starts the old Wolvie mode. Really nothing special, static background and all you did was constantly hit Wolvie x amount of times.....pretty boring.

This is 1.1 code, not 1.0, so by 1.1 they did away with the mandatory Mags MB .

I do really miss the original background music from the early code, pretty cool....

#297 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

....and it would have been much better than what we have now, if it would have went the direction I had envisioned.

Sorry to derail, but what direction did you envision?

#312 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What debacle?

I assume it's in reference to the VUK to the warp ramp getting switched to a webslinger.

In my opinion, that wasn't a debacle, that was quality control doing its rightful job of making sure that everything works on the machine before its released. The VUK wasn't performing regularly as hoped, so rather than just keep it in there and let the owners get upset and bitch about it, Ritchie pulled it and put in something else more reliable. I have zero problem with that, kudos to Ritchie for standing by his product to the nth degree.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 25.95
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-will-not-give-stern-anymore-of-our-money-until-codes-are-finished?tu=rcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.