(Topic ID: 68330)

WE will not give STERN anymore of our money until codes are finished!!

By Rcade

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 319 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you ever buy another NIB Stern?”

• Nope. They've lost my business for good with their poor code update structure and PR 55 votes
    15%
  • Not until they fix current codes that are clearly unfinished and continue to release games with more complete code 256 votes
    68%
  • Yes. Ive never had a problem with the current system. Play pinball!! 67 votes
    18%

(378 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Christopher-Walken.jpg
image-124.jpg
back to the future.png
popcorn eat good.gif
image.jpg
stern.gif
mistake.jpg
codes.jpg
images-1.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#161 10 years ago

Complaining about code level of completeness is a moot point when various companies are still selling games.

Stern-
Multiple games in the production pipeline and I am sure code for each one parallels it as the physical build gets to JOB-1. When the hardware is completes the code goes in at whatever level it is and it ships. If you like the title / theme of the game buy it and hope its decent or readdressed as time moves forward.
Some titles never get an update.

JJP-
Made a huge blunder (nice sales pitch) by promising to not ship without complete code but is playing catch up and addressing it. If that is what his customers want he is targeting and supporting them. Kudos to JJP.

MM Remake-
Sold out based on title / theme popularity and everyone assumes its a carbon copy of the original.
Point being people are buying into them with little information for the most part and assuming the finished product.

If you buy a game based on its theme or "fun to play" face value you will not be disappointed. If you expect more then wait until you see a finished item to decide. As long as people keep ordering games and the companies can sell everything they make forcing a change is not likely to happen but its fun to talk about.

1 week later
#222 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

It seems like the only game Stern has abandoned is WoF.

WPT had one update but lots of potential and WOF has been SOL.

#282 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Even secretive ass Apple has started publicly talking about what code changes they're going to be making:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/11/updates-to-new-iwork-will-restore-some-old-features-final-cut-style/

I am not a huge Apple fan in fact I dislike their overpriced PC hardware.
I much prefer a rooted Android over anything Apple as well but that's another topic.

Complaining about pinball machine code is parallel to bagging on operating systems. Microsquat as well as other devs have never released a "complete" version of any OS but most run apps and function to a certain extent.
Pinball game code is similar IMHO because it all basically works with some releases more complete than others and usually gets some form of an update down the line.

If you refuse to buy a pinball machine based on some level of code completion try applying that same logic to a PC or smartphone and you will be making calls using tin cans & string or surfing the net on your TRS-80.

#290 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

There are complaints like "my IM does not do attract noises, the instant info is useless, and I would like an earnable extra ball"
Then there are complaints like "the game is borked, is almost catching fire, and does not add scores correctly" (see early X-men).
Then in the middle there is "you promised me a Cadillac, and delivered a buggy pulled by a donkey (to date)". Buggies can be fun, but you paid for a damn Cadillac (see Metallica).
So yeah, there is all sorts of justified code ranting, not just "nice to have" tweaks.

Or : It works but can or should work better.

I agree for the amount of money paid there should be a high level of code performance provided, without waiting.
(I had a NIB WOF so tell me about incomplete coding.....inserts that do not light up)

Until sales drop due to direct code issues not much will likely change unless the respective companies take up the task themselves. I still think the number of people they boycott an actual purchase is small and overpricing games will affect sales more than code related issues.

Like the shiny car on the lot that looks nice until you spend some time driving it.
Once you figure it out they have your money and its not coming back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 25.95
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-will-not-give-stern-anymore-of-our-money-until-codes-are-finished?tu=cal50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.