(Topic ID: 68330)

WE will not give STERN anymore of our money until codes are finished!!

By Rcade

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 319 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinballwizard79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you ever buy another NIB Stern?”

• Nope. They've lost my business for good with their poor code update structure and PR 55 votes
    15%
  • Not until they fix current codes that are clearly unfinished and continue to release games with more complete code 256 votes
    68%
  • Yes. Ive never had a problem with the current system. Play pinball!! 66 votes
    18%

(377 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Christopher-Walken.jpg
image-124.jpg
back to the future.png
popcorn eat good.gif
image.jpg
stern.gif
mistake.jpg
codes.jpg
images-1.jpeg

There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 6 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

What has JJP done to justify all the adolation? They still haven't managed to ship a full run of their first pin, the playfield GI is sorely lacking, and the software isn't finished. How is this better than Stern? WOZ is a gorgeous machine, to be sure, but the JJP apologists are spreading the manure a little thick.

JJP made a game that separates itself from all of the 90's style games that have been produced for the last two decades. It actually looks like a modern game with the LCD and the RGB lights.

Rules are creative - Fireball Frenzy, rollovers qualify locks and TOTO, outlane games, no holds flippers....

New operating system, clearcoated cabinet, attractive high quality art, lack of corner-cutting tactics that have been so prevalent in recent pin releases, etc.

#302 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What a bullshit justification for unfinished game. Why not just unplug all your DMDs then.
I'm not talking about public outrage...I'm talking about doing the right thing. Just because YOU don't care doesn't mean it's right for a $6k+ NIB game to be missing animation for it's final mode. A flasher bug would probably take 2 seconds to fix and another 2 to upload as an update. Just because YOU are OK with unfinished code & bugs doesn't make it acceptable. We get it....finished games aren't important to you....you may have convinced yourself it's acceptable, but no one else is buying what you're selling.

I spoke to Lonnie about the Thor flasher issue. He could not duplicate the problem, hence it isnt a problem. However, it does seem like a very sporatic issue. I started digging into when/why/how it doesnt always flash and gave Lonnie some data. He started digging further himself and came up with a few ideas and may have had it pinpointed. Unfortunately, someone (gomez is my guess?) pulled the plug on him & the AV Code; and we never got an update with a working flasher. This all happened around the time i sold my AVLE which i think was back in March or earlier (coincidence? or just a bad day of tweaking gomez's design?).

In any case; Lonnie did some great code in Avengers and it would be awesome if he were allowed to revisit it.

#303 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I spoke to Lonnie about the Thor flasher issue. He could not duplicate the problem, hence it isnt a problem. However, it does seem like a very sporatic issue. I started digging into when/why/how it doesnt always flash and gave Lonnie some data. He started digging further himself and came up with a few ideas and may have had it pinpointed. Unfortunately, someone (gomez is my guess?) pulled the plug on him & the AV Code; and we never got an update with a working flasher. This all happened around the time i sold my AVLE which i think was back in March or earlier (coincidence? or just a bad day of tweaking gomez's design?).
In any case; Lonnie did some great code in Avengers and it would be awesome if he were allowed to revisit it.

It seems to happen every time I have a game going...when the character modes are running - their flashers are pulsing...Thor's doesn't...or it starts but then stops.

#304 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It seems to happen every time I have a game going...when the character modes are running - their flashers are pulsing...Thor's doesn't...or it starts but then stops.

agreed; and when its not flashing, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I really hope Lonnie is given some time to work on this bug as well as add some more magic to this great game

#305 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That is crap that he was not allowed the time to, at minimum, fix bugs like this.

#306 6 years ago

I don't really care if the games aren't finished out the door code-wise. What I do care about is the games eventually being finished, and as we all know, there have been at least a few Sterns that never get quite "there", some far worse off than others.

Personally, I like looking forward to new code updates over the course of the first year or two a Stern game is available. It keeps things fresh and something to continually look forward to. Again, my biggest concern is that some of their games are left high and dry unfinished. If they can quit doing this, then I'm fine with how they currently roll things out at the moment.

#307 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I don't really care if the games aren't finished out the door code-wise. What I do care about is the games eventually being finished, and as we all know, there have been at least a few Sterns that never get quite "there", some far worse off than others.
Personally, I like looking forward to new code updates over the course of the first year or two a Stern game is available. It keeps things fresh and something to continually look forward to. Again, my biggest concern is that some of their games are left high and dry unfinished. If they can quit doing this, then I'm fine with how they currently roll things out at the moment.

I agree, fun to play different rules as it evolves, but XM LE had one update that was a giant step backward and the latest was ok a whole lot better than the crap pack, but what now? I'm still waiting for bug fixes and polished code and finished code. Not even a peep from Stern on XM code.

#308 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Personally, I like looking forward to new code updates over the course of the first year or two a Stern game is available.

I like looking forward to new code as well, however not in the 1-2 year time frame.

#309 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

hey, can't "disclose" anything, ain't no heat here brother, you backed out of the wrong pin!

No I didn't. Regardless of how (if) it comes out, this business model did not work for me on any level, and it was not worth the risk of staying in (for me).

#310 6 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I like looking forward to new code as well, however not in the 1-2 year time frame.

Exactly! Unless its ACDC and getting an update every other month for a year.

#311 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I imagine they will/should after the Star Trek Le debacle.........

What debacle?

#312 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What debacle?

I assume it's in reference to the VUK to the warp ramp getting switched to a webslinger.

In my opinion, that wasn't a debacle, that was quality control doing its rightful job of making sure that everything works on the machine before its released. The VUK wasn't performing regularly as hoped, so rather than just keep it in there and let the owners get upset and bitch about it, Ritchie pulled it and put in something else more reliable. I have zero problem with that, kudos to Ritchie for standing by his product to the nth degree.

#313 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What debacle?

Maybe its not a "debacle", it remains to be seen, just saying the price increase along with the 799 units and then the VUK issue has left a ton of Le's in distributors inventory, and the momentum, whatever there was, getting blown out of the water at expo with the MMR release, still have seen the laser yet...

After all that, maybe they will be able to eventually sell out, after all 8k seems to be the new normal......

Quoted from RobT:

No I didn't. Regardless of how (if) it comes out, this business model did not work for me on any level, and it was not worth the risk of staying in (for me).

Keep telling yourself that You know I'm just jabbing you

#314 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

For 8.2K I gotta be honest, it coulda used a little more cowbell.
Christopher-Walken.jpg 16 KB

Quoted from fattrain:

Exactly my sentiments as well.

Quoted from Rcade:

I assume it's in reference to the VUK to the warp ramp getting switched to a webslinger.
In my opinion, that wasn't a debacle, that was quality control doing its rightful job of making sure that everything works on the machine before its released. The VUK wasn't performing regularly as hoped, so rather than just keep it in there and let the owners get upset and bitch about it, Ritchie pulled it and put in something else more reliable. I have zero problem with that, kudos to Ritchie for standing by his product to the nth degree.

I agree it was the right move indeed but must admit I was looking forward to that upkicker to the warp. That along with the price point were my main reasons for deciding to go with a Refinery Pro instead.

#315 6 years ago

I don't love the model - but hate that feeling of the could have just moved on. I feel sales were directly impacted by the code of MET but they are living in the pinball bubble - and don't realize that Jack popped it exactly for the reason it existed in the first place. Stern does not listen to customers leaving room for others to service the marketplace.

#316 6 years ago

This thread is great. People will still buy NIB hand over first. Many of them are the very people that have participated in this poll and posts, yet we still beat the topic to death. Talk is just talk. The polls are a joke because they are not remotely accurate to what people will actually do.

#317 6 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

This thread is great. People will still buy NIB hand over first. Many of them are the very people that have participated in this poll and posts, yet we still beat the topic to death. Talk is just talk. The polls are a joke because they are not remotely accurate to what people will actually do.

I guess we'll see about that a little premature to say that it is all just talk at this point IMO. The competition is just starting to ramp up so we will see in the years to come. I for one am hopeful that Stern listens to customers and puts more emphasis on providing great code in a timely manner so we will never find out what would of happened if they didn't.

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've had almost every Stern at this point...many purchased NIB. I'm the "prime candidate" to keep buying NIB...but, I'm deciding not to. I'm truly burnt out on paying to be the guinea pig. I'm just going to wait now to see if games have complete code, bug free, and toys/features work 100%. Not only that, I'm going to wait until my games from the past few years get updates. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy just playing the games I have....I like new pinball games but I don't need them. My impulse NIB days are over due to code...and price to some extent. I can afford new games, but for the price I have expectations.

I'll keep buying new Sterns, but my window has shifted out a year. I was happy to be one of the first to buy a new Metallica (back in May). I'll be just as happy to buy Star Trek new, but it will be next year about this time.

#319 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'll keep buying new Sterns, but my window has shifted out a year. I was happy to be one of the first to buy a new Metallica (back in May). I'll be just as happy to buy Star Trek new, but it will be next year about this time.

Better wait 3 years

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 11.95
$ 219.00
There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside